It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3 out of 4 people are Jews

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 07:06 PM
link   
www3.nationalgeographic.com...

I really dont know much about this, but would love some input from my fellow members.....I was watching the Colbert report the other night ( Irony, I know) His gues for the evening was spokesman from the Genographic Project, who basically trace the migration of the human species from the beginning on........As most people agree on, Life ass we know it started in Africa.......Long story short. He basically claimed that 3 out of 4 people are of jewish descent?

Is there any truths to this statement?

Does this give a whole new meaning to "Gods chosen people"?

Than you...This is my very first thread....I feel honored to butt heads with all the fascinating people on here.

[edit on 15-8-2007 by Steff]

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Well ... I don't know about the Jewish part, but that was one fascinating site, and a place that people who don't understand evolution and genetics ought to HAVE to visit. For everyone else, it's very informative.

I just wish I had the $100 to spare to have my genome added to the project.

Great site, well done on your first post!

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Thank you sir! I wish I knew more about it.....He said (claimed) that it all pretty much started in Eastern Africa, and as people started to migrate towards what today is known as the middle east (around 45000 years ago), they divided up in 4 general groups...refered to as: Haplogroup K...Haplogroup K contains 4 subgroups...K1, K2A, K4a1 and K1a9......The latter 3 being the founding lineages of the askanashi (sp?) Jews.....i.e The founding mothers of Judaism.......

Bottom line: If you belong to the latter 3 of the groups, you are most likely originally jewish.....

Very fascinating I though:-)

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 07:40 PM
link   
hell, 3 out of 4 people are related to Genghis Khan

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xtrozero

I can top that. 4 out of 4 people are related to Adam & Eve.

...Couldn't help it. :shk: to me...

AAC

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xtrozero

Exactalilly.
Your family tree doubles in size with each generation, so go back 2000 years, with perhaps 25 years per generation, you have 2^80 great-great-etc-grandparents = well, a really really big number.
But admittedly alot smaller than the maths because of a good deal of generationally distant "inbreeding", if you want to call it that.

So when people do that stuff where they think they were Julius Caesar in a previous life, there is a pretty strong chance that they have him for a great grandparent.

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Ok. First off.. "Jew" .. Is not a race. Hebrew is a race.. it consist of most of the population in the north of the ME .. Arabs live in the South, such as Saudi Arabia. Iranians, Syrians, Palestinians, Israelis (non immigrants) Armenians, Turks.. all Hebrew in origin, as a race, SEMITIC ..

And if this is a study to show ME's and Whites are related or something thats already been proven that Semitic is a subgroup of Caucasian.

We all for the most part on current theory go back to the same group of humans that where the last few remaining, at one point possibly as few as 2,000 humans after a near extinction.

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Ashkenazim are not Jews. "Recent DNA studies on the Y-Chromosome of Ashkenazi Jews showed they had an 'extremely close affinity [with] non-Jewish Middle Eastern populations', indicating 'a common Middle Eastern origin',[31] as does the mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) of at least 40% of the current Ashkenazi population.[32]"

Merely having ancestors in Palestine does not a Jew make.

Furthermore, Rocky's uncharacteristically off the mark here. All Jews are Semites, but not all Semites are Jews.

Capiche?

en.wikipedia.org...

Oh, and don't give me any of that crap about "wiki is a CIA front"...wikipedia's articles are sourced far better than most websites you'll ever find.

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I never said all Jews are Semites buddy.

I said the majority of northern Middle Eastern populations are Semitic in origin, having nothing to do with religion .. Christian, Jew, Muslim, whatever. As for the Jews of Israel I said, native, immigrants Jews are still Caucasian which puts them under the same RACE but different ethnicity .. which even under Semitics there are different ethnicities (Kurds for the most part are a sub Semitic ethnicity of a major ethnicity) It is impossible to classify Humans as this or that, because we are all mixed pretty well together, but the separate populations can exhibit a general ethnic background that they can be classified as, which is still risky to do so.

No, not all Semites are Jewish, and not all Jews are Semites, and yes many Muslims are Semites, but not all, and most of the ME Christian population is Semitic but of course, not all.

Blanket statements in regards to racial or ethnic boundaries should be discouraged.

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 09:43 PM
link   
I should have made a clearer statement, Rocky.

All ETHNIC Jews are Semites.

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Regardless of where you are going or where you have been, you will always be right where you are at.

Being a JOO means about as much to me as being someone who happens to like anchovies on their pizza.

My ancestry will never make me a decent person or someone more deserving than another. You can be the child of a king and of the highest blood, but that does make you a decent human being.

Your heart and soul are in your own hands. From whence you came and what brought you here have no bearing on who you are. Only you can decide that.

Bloodlines and history will not save your soul from all the things you fear. Only you can step up and create the life that will.

Life is not about your roots, It's not about the day of your flowering, It's about the moment you are in and what you will do with that moment.

wupy

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 09:56 PM
link   
I see what your trying to say

All Jews are Semites, but not all Semites are Jews.

What is an "ethnic" Jew? A Jew born with 50% "pure" blooded background? Take a Semitic woman, history of family always Semitic, lets assume Jewish.

Marries and has kids with a German immigrant who we would normally assume is 100% Germanic, but lets assume he has black hair and was the long forgotten product of a Roman conquest and an misfortunent great great great great ect, ect grandmother.

Some kids look like Mom, we assume they are Semitic, some look like Dad, we still assume they are Semitic because they will carry on a few facial, hair features, ect that could be used to distinguish someone as a certain ethnicity.

They are all Jewish, but they go one day to trace back DNA and find that their DNA splits off, maybe a short 100 years ago someone had a kid with an Arab, or a Greek or a Italian.

Because they are the same RACE they will not differ different then a Semitic would, certain features passed down and so forth can put them in that category, the only difference is that the ethnicities intermarried and now the "semitic" population is infected with a new DNA... which heaven knows is a good thing because inbreeding of populations is what leads to off the wall evolution like say Germans have blond hair and blue eyes.
Of course isolated populations or even open populations choosing to mate with only those of their kind will always and have always existed, so maybe you can still say the kids are Semitic, because they look so, and you can call them Ethnic, but their 50% German.

What I am trying to say is that no not all Jews native to ME are Semitic. All have a part of Semitic ethnicity in them, many have near pure blood Semitic traits and some look like it but their blood diluted.

Of course, I am just nit picking because I feel like it.
Final point not all Jews (even Ethnic) are pure Semitic. Or even half. Why even call them Ethnic Jews. Many probably claim to be, but are not. But of course, for generalization purposes we still call them all semitic, even the ones that have absolutely no Semitic blood in them.

Isn't anthropology fun?

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Well said Mrwupy. (you can't warn me for a one liner because I complimented you.)

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Interesting responses...I was merely stating what was said on the show........What I was getting at......Does that put a different spin on "Gods chosen people"?.......Considering "seemingly" we are ALL the same people.....Well....3 out of 4 at least.

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Steff
Interesting responses...I was merely stating what was said on the show........What I was getting at......Does that put a different spin on "Gods chosen people"?.......Considering "seemingly" we are ALL the same people.....Well....3 out of 4 at least.

Steff, we've all changed quite a bit during the zillion years since the common ancestors...

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I'm in the 4 part! I'm not a jew!

Amon Goeth

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 10:50 PM
link   
This is a silly thread, AG. It's basically, "if you can trace your ancestors back to Palestine, even if that's a ZILLION years before Jews even started existing, you're a Jew!!"

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 04:54 AM
link   
i know i can trace my heritage to ancient phonecians, so i probably have enough semitic blood in me to have a connection to the jewish people.

DCP

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Early Humans Came from Asia Too

Evelotion theories change all the time, from: www.livescience.com...

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 02:59 PM
link   
My heritage traces back to Sephardic jews who left Spain and ended up in Costa Rica and converted to Catholosism in the end anyway.

I only consider my self half Spanish but if you get down to it Im jewish descent from my Father and Muslim/Arab decent from my Mother because she is Melungeon. Very contradicting if you think about it.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join