It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google denies APEC reason for fuzzy maps

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Google denies APEC reason for fuzzy maps

www.smh.com.au

MUCH of Sydney's city centre as it appears in the satellite images on Google Maps Australia has been fuzzed out, just weeks before the Asia-Pacific Economic Co-operation summit.

Google says the imagery was downgraded as a result of a "commercial issue" with a supplier, but there is speculation it was done at the request of police in order to minimise the risk of a terrorist attack during the September summit, where Sydney will host 21 world leaders including the US President, George Bush.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Just thought you guys might this interesting. I wonder if it is legal to do this?

Plus will they now also fuzz out Google Earth and other similar map-type services?

www.smh.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by srsen
Just thought you guys might this interesting. I wonder if it is legal to do this?

Why would it be? Even if the police asked for it, Google cooperated. It's their service, they could even shut it down if they wanted to. They have no legal obligation to provide it.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Of course it was a "commercial" issue - the US Government is probably a client of Google's!
Talk about word smithing...

[edit on 8/14/2007 by damajikninja]

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by damajikninja
Of course it was a "commercial" issue - the US Government is probably a client of Google's!
Talk about word smithing...

I doubt it has anything to do with the U.S. government. If it was requested by a government, it would be Australia. The President of the United States travels to many, many locations all the time that are not blurred in Google Earth.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Very true djohnsto, I have no doubt that a government asked Google a favor - and am not suprised or angered by it to be honest. If Google wants to degrade their own free service, good for them. They can do what they want because it belongs to them.

I just thought the word play was silly - of course it's due to commercial reasons!

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

Originally posted by srsen

Why would it be? Even if the police asked for it, Google cooperated. It's their service, they could even shut it down if they wanted to. They have no legal obligation to provide it.

Yeah i suppose you're right there. I just wasn't sure.

Has this happened before? i severly doubt it is NOT related to APEC, its pretty clear it is, unless of course the maps go back up UNCHANGED between now and summit time - 7 September.

Geez, they are really going crazy with this APEC thing. I've never seen anythign like it!

I'm thinking of heading into the city that day just to check out all the fuss, but im not sure i'll even be allowed in!

top topics

join