It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cop shoots at snake, kills 5 year old boy

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 01:21 PM
link   
You would think someone in Oklahoma, known as a "Cowboy", and "Hunting" area could shoot straight. Yeah this is horrible, but you have to ask yourself. How destroyed would you personally be if you tried to kill a giants snake for good and ended up kill a little boy. I am truly sickened by the way life happens when it comes to tragedy's like this.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 01:27 PM
link   
All I can say is as we all know there are plenty of Idiots in all facets we encounter everyday. And too think the Cops are immune too having their own fair share of idiots is just walking around blindfolded IMO. There are plenty of Morons in the Justice system. Hell look at the Us's own chief prosecuter if you dont believe me. Seems more and more idiots are given powers they have No buisiness having, The Current US system is a prime example of the patients running the assylum.
Sad indeed.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 01:49 PM
link   
"To Protect and Serve" isn't that what the US Police forces go by or was it just on C.H.I.P.S. (an old cop show for you young 'uns).

A very sad tradegy happened, the cop was trying to "protect" in a seemingly over the top way, like many others have said a stick would have been a good idea, a shotgun too or just wait for pest control or whatever you guys n gals call them.

My first thoughts go to the family and their very sad loss, after that I began thinking that this poor cop, and yes it is sad for him too 'cus he like most of us would right now would feel like topping ourselves if we had been that cop.

I would say that he should be expelled from the force, not just for this tradegy but for what may happen in the future, for instance, if he was on duty in the future and had to pull his gun in a life or death situation against an armed person whilst trying to save or protect another life..............that is when I would question his reaction.

Would memory make him delay his decision, make the wrong choice, leading to a fatality that he could have stopped???

I do feel for the guy because without doubt the thought of that five year old will haunt his every second, awake or asleep.

On a side note, as for the people saying they are leery of cops, you have a reason to be.

Cops are given power to exert force over a member of the public, whether it be a ticket or a bullet, they are only human and so it goes there will be a fair few of them that will abuse this power, on saying that they are people and most are decent human beings.

Wolfie

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Royal76
You would think someone in Oklahoma, known as a "Cowboy", and "Hunting" area could shoot straight. Yeah this is horrible, but you have to ask yourself. How destroyed would you personally be if you tried to kill a giants snake for good and ended up kill a little boy. I am truly sickened by the way life happens when it comes to tragedy's like this.

In Oklahoma we just mainly have pretend cowboys now.
I'm still not sure why he would try to shoot a snake...
In a tree....

And Oklahoma isn't really "Cowboys & Hunting" anymore, it's mainly a "Meth" and "Wannabe Gangsters" thing.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by HeadFirstForHalos

And Oklahoma isn't really "Cowboys & Hunting" anymore, it's mainly a "Meth" and "Wannabe Gangsters" thing.

How sad that is my friend.
I know what you are talking about, as the same trend is evident in Missouri and Illinois and Indiana.
Makes me want to start a new thread....Meth, the white mans crack.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 03:48 PM
link   
What if the snake isn't indigenous to OK? There are morons around the globe that think it's cool to have prohibited wildlife. Maybe it was a cobra? Not in OK, right? Check this out. Any snake could survive in North America this time of the year.

The thing is we DON'T know all of the facts but there are still some coloring the cop as a "trigger happy....... whatever." I think that is more projection by said members of how they feel about cops, not going by any FACT, because they aren't available yet. Man, if Conclusion Jumping was an Olympic event ATS members would probably sweep the medals.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Man, if Conclusion Jumping was an Olympic event ATS members would probably sweep the medals.

yes I suppose it may have been a cobra, or even one of those deadly muslim snakes, but that doesnt really matter now does it.
Does not matter what kind of snake the cop was shooting at, that fact is that he recklessly discharged his firearm and took the life of a five year old boy.

As me and others have pointed out, this guy (and his buddy) have absolutely no business running around with guns.
Like Valhal said, he should never be able to own a gun again, let alone carry one on his side every day at work.
We must be extra watchful of those we arm and give psuedo-authority over us.
This guy has failed us all miserably.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by 11Bravo

Stray bullet kills boy fishing in Oklahoma.

NOBLE, Okla. - A police officer shooting at a snake apparently killed a 5-year-old boy who was fishing at a nearby pond, officials said

The boys grandfather was with him at the time.

"I'm not saying the cop shot him on purpose," he said. "But let me tell you — if I had a kid and put him in this car and didn't put him in a car seat and he got killed on the way to town, they'd charge me with murder ... and what this cop did is a lot worse than that."

This is why Im leary of cops.
Because cops are incapeable of accidents, and bullets never riccochet?

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 04:10 PM
link   
OK Bravo, I'll play. Say you are to the left of this. You're a cop, are you thinking rationally at this point or are you reaching for the best weapon you have?

See? There's a difference, I'm waiting to hear the facts first, not jump on the condemnation bus. If it turns out that it was just a grass snake and this was just plain stupid, I'll agree with you.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 04:14 PM
link   

The thing is we DON'T know all of the facts but there are still some coloring the cop as a "trigger happy....... whatever." I think that is more projection by said members of how they feel about cops, not going by any FACT, because they aren't available yet. Man, if Conclusion Jumping was an Olympic event ATS members would probably sweep the medals.

I'm assuming you are talking about me? Let me just tell you, my brother is a cop. He has many cop friends that I have. So, don't sit there and judge me and say it's my biasness of cops because you have no clue to what you are talking about. Thank you very much.

Talk about conclusion jumping. Maybe look into the mirror pot and you might find that you are black also.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Griff
I'm assuming you are talking about me? Let me just tell you, my brother is a cop. He has many cop friends that I have. So, don't sit there and judge me and say it's my biasness of cops because you have no clue to what you are talking about. Thank you very much.

Talk about conclusion jumping. Maybe look into the mirror pot and you might find that you are black also.

And with the BOLD there, you not only prove my point but you win the GOLD.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 04:25 PM
link   

The thing is we DON'T know all of the facts but there are still some coloring the cop as a "trigger happy....... whatever."

Since I am the only one that said those bolded words, who were you talking about then?

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 04:30 PM
link   

I'm waiting to hear the facts first

Fact: Cop uses service revolver to try to eradicate a snake from a tree.

Fact: Said bullets ricoche and kill a 5 year old kid fishing with his grandfather.

Fact: There were a plethora of other options available.

So, yes, I'll be biased and call him a "trigger happy" whatever I want to call him.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 04:32 PM
link   
BTW Intrepid, I thought it was against ATS policy to wholey quote the post directly above your own? I guess just like cops, moderators are above the law?

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Griff

The thing is we DON'T know all of the facts but there are still some coloring the cop as a "trigger happy....... whatever."

Since I am the only one that said those bolded words, who were you talking about then?

Where did you post this? "trigger happy....... whatever." Nowhere, those are MY words. Hell, you just got the silver too. Want to go for the trifecta?

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by illuzian
Guys, the officee made a simple mistake.

How would you feel if you discharged a firearm and accidentally shot a 5 year old kid? Wouldn't that guilt be punishment enough?

People make mistakes all the time and sometimes of great consequence but I think if the guy is a real human being, what he has just done would fill him with guilt, fear, sadness and regret.

Combine this with a sentence and the guy might as well of shot himself.

Seriously think about it from his shoes..... Yes the parents have lost a child, yes a young life has been lost and can't be lived to its fullest but hell thats the point.

Have a heart too aye.

-DJ Luz

edit: When I refer to "guys" it means read everyone else's response too, not assume the world revolves around you.

[edit on 7-8-2007 by illuzian]

By this logic there would be no such thing as criminally negligent homocide.

It was probably an accident yes, but if you had been shooting at a snake and shot a 5 year old boy you would be in jail. Right now he's on paid leave.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 04:51 PM
link   
hat a terrible tradgedy.
Less than two weeks ago here in Nashville there was a big deal made about a cop who refused to euthanase a suffering deer on the roadside, by using his service revolver.
He was waiting on response from animal control who he said were armed to deal with the situation. At the time I was outraged that he did not act and let the animal suffer.
There was an investigation, he was exonorated and they said he did the right thing.
Despite my intial outrage, after seeing the outcome of this unfortunate accident I guess he was right in his thinking afterall.
What an awful outcome for an action that was supposed to help people.
I bet that poor man can hardly sleep at night.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 06:08 PM
link   
This makes me so mad.What in the heck was the cop thinking,i gess in this case he wasn't thinking,I cann't even amagine what the boys family most be going threw.
If the snake was such a threat, why oh why didn't the cop call animal control?
[sorry about the misspellings],

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Yes we do know all the facts. The cop shot a service revolver at a snake in a birdhouse in near dark conditions in a - all be it what others would call rural - we here in Oklahoma call a POPULATED area - it did NOT ricochet it hit the kid square in the head and killed him.

And I have to say the comments like "I bet this guy can't live with himself" or "I bet this guy is suffering enough" or "I bet this guy can't sleep at night" infuriate me even more.

I bet the grandfather who watched his grandson drop dead in his arms can't sleep very well either, and I bet the suffering he'll have for the rest of his life that had he just not done what ever blessed one of us would have done after the first shot - pull the kid to him to protect him - the kid wouldn't have been in the direct line of fire of a moron is more than enough. I bet this kid's mom and dad walking past his empty bed is enough too. And I bet his little 2 year old brother who loved him with all his heart crying himself to sleep every night is enough too.

The facts are a man allegedly trained in firearm safety discharged a firearm in a manner that if I had ever seen my son do at the age of 12 I would have taken him behind the wood shed and whipped his ass raw - and then banned him from gun use until he was an adult! And that NEGLIGENCE - it's beyond negligence - it's public nuisance, wreckless endangerment AND manslaughter - killed a little angel.

So bleed your heart dry and wring your hands for this moron - as you may have picked up by this point - I won't be joining you.

[edit on 8-7-2007 by Valhall]

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Where did you post this? "trigger happy....... whatever." Nowhere, those are MY words. Hell, you just got the silver too. Want to go for the trifecta?

Sure, since you're giving out medals. I was the only one in this thread that said the words trigger happy. Sorry for going a little overboard and starting a pissing match.

We may not agree some times but I've never had a problem with you. I'd like to keep it that way. Truce?

Also, as always, Valhall...the voice of reason.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join