It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cop shoots at snake, kills 5 year old boy

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
OK Bravo, I'll play. Say you are to the left of this. You're a cop, are you thinking rationally at this point or are you reaching for the best weapon you have?

See? There's a difference, I'm waiting to hear the facts first, not jump on the condemnation bus. If it turns out that it was just a grass snake and this was just plain stupid, I'll agree with you.

Are you being serious with this cobra example. We have stated native species of snakes. People Know a cobra when the see it. Living in a country like area, snakes are pretty common. Me being in the desert, pretty good chance to run in to a rattle snake or a black widow.... Should I get my AR out and unload? I think not.

[edit on 8-8-2007 by SpittinCobra]

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 09:31 AM
link   
The point totally being missed. Let's wait for the FACTS, not speculate. Val, the guy is guilty of gross stupidity but I still would like to hear all of the facts before making a judgment on this cop.

Griff, it's all good man.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 09:34 AM
link   

but I still would like to hear all of the facts before making a judgment on this cop.

I agree about not jumping to conclusions. Is there any update on this story?

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 09:59 AM
link   
What facts besides the guy used his gun to kill a snake, but instead killed a 5 year old?

You don't need to know what kind of snake it was, what time of day it was. You don't need to know the weather conditions.

This guy made a very bad choice. He is a police officer, should be held to higher standards than the general public, but is rarely the case. Him getting a felony, Involuntary manslaughter, will ensure he will never own a gun, legally.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra
Him getting a felony, Involuntary manslaughter, will ensure he will never own a gun, legally.

And just might stop the next guy from automatically pulling out his service revolver. It might make the next guy think instead of acting.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I read the story and all I can say is what an idiot..... "Hmmm, snake in tree...... tried a stick...... I know, shoot it..... what could possibly go wrong?"

Sorry, but it sounds unforgivably idiotic. Why the hell didn't the police or homeowner call whatever "Wildlife Aid" type of service you have available in the US?

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 10:48 AM
link   
If that pig idiot had killed MY boy with a stunt like that I would have finished him off right then and there and damn the consequences; I could not restrain myself from making things as even as possible. I would claim temporary insanity and hope for the best. The cop was in a cowboy mentality with a dangerous weapon and fired without making sure it was necessary. It is no different than any other reckless action; no excuse permitted.

I do not care if it was a freakin anaconda hanging in that tree, to shoot a snake without determining if ANYONE was in ANY way likely to be hit is the height of stupidity. What really gets me is the fact that this stupid idiot cop will get a talking to by the chief and go right back on duty, no doubt. They will call it a tragic accident; accidents are avoidable, every time.

Accidents happen when soneone is careless; the cop should be forced to lose his job, have all firearms restricted forever to him, and made to keep the boy's grave clean and with flowers at all times in memory of his deadly mistake in judgement.

Like I said, there would be no way I could have kept myself from attacking and trying to kill that cop if it had been me; buit that is just me. If some drunk driver smashed into my car and killed one of my kids, the driver that did it would never make it to the hopspital alive, guaranteed. I would rather face a trial than live the rest of my life knowing that the monster that harmed me so badly was running around free to repeat the same offense over and over.

That cop is lucky and should be charged with criminal negilgence resulting in death and imprisoned with the most deranged gangters alive; maybe then he would take his responsibilities seriously. In any event, he would be unable to ever carry a gun again if real justice was done. Imagine, some guy caught with a little pot can lose his rights to carry forever, but some cop who shoots a 5 year old to death recklessly will no doubt be out there patrolling again very soon with the same mindset and same logic..of course he will no doubt never shoot at a snake in a tree again, or WILL HE?

This makes me sick and for anyone to defend this piece of human garbage is just awful. there is NO excuse, none at all. I would hang that boys picture in every room of his house and insist that they never come down. There must be a way to make sure that this does not happen again, especialy by a trained' professional ' like a cop. Just goes to show how little real oversight is given to these cowboy redneck cops.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 11:14 AM
link   
The cop made a mistake, plain and simple. But the cop should be held accountable for his mistake. (assuming it was a he?)

He no doubt would have had numerous training sessions instructing him not to discharge his weapon unless absolutely necessary. In this case I think we can all see that it most definately was not necessary.

He knew what he should and should not have done. He made the wrong choice and an innocent child is dead because of that. Personally I feel he should lose his badge over this incedent.

Though this experience would most definately have taught him the right and wrong times to use his firearm, it should never have occured and his punishment should ATLEAST be dismissed from the force. Any criminal charges need to be decided by the appropriate systems.

One thing is for sure though: I definately feel sorry for the police officer and the childs family. It is a tragic event that, after this, will hopefully never ever happen again.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 11:57 AM
link   

"What I was told is that the owner of the home either suggested or agreed that they should go ahead and shoot the snake, and then everything happened from there."

This is interesting. Are the cops trying to place blame on the owner because they either suggested it or agreed to it? What does the owner have to do with police procedure?

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I agree with you all. My post was in response to the first poster who says this is why he's leery of cops. That was a ridiculous statement in my opinion. Why is he leery of cops? Because they are stupid sometimes?

... yes

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Damn.

Looks like cops are so good at killing unarmed people now, they can bust you without even trying.

I'm with Bravo and Eyewitness. I do my best to avoid the po po, the most dangerous people running the streets these days. Damn all that "good cop" BS, I'm trying to live.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 10:15 PM
link   

The point totally being missed. Let's wait for the FACTS, not speculate. Val, the guy is guilty of gross stupidity but I still would like to hear all of the facts before making a judgment on this cop.

Griff, it's all good man.

I totally agree, Ive seen so many topics, which are so vague on the details, but people still assume, and say very bad things about something they have no idea about, unless they were there, or have more facts, its rather rude to say such things about it.

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 12:55 AM
link   
He was trigger happy and irresponsible to boot. If this had been an average citizen I can almost guaranty you that he would be awaiting a trial right now for manslaughter/negligent homicide, at leas I would hope so.
It should be no different just because he is a cop, in fact he should receive an even harsher punishment because he should no better.
When you are in a position of power, carrying a weapon, like a cop is, making a mistake does have lethal consequences.
The Chief should have immediately fired him and then there needs to be a grand jury hearing to determine what, if any, charges are brought against him.

for the record, If anyone here have read some of my posts then you would know that I have been in a Law Enforcement family since I was born. My Dad was, a Dallas Tx. Patrolman for 12 years and a Detective for 18 years, he then went on to be a Chief of Police in a small town 65 miles Southeast of Dallas.
I am definately not anti cop but I do have two children and I can only imagine how the parents are feeling and even more so how the grandad felt when he saw a bullet hole in the little boys skull

I dont understand what other "facts" some of you are wanting. The police dept pretty much admitted that the bullet came from the officers gun.
He did not fire the weapon trying to stop a criminal or to save another humans life, he fired it to kill a snake in a tree and most snakes that climb trees in the US are harmless rat snakes or some other type of garden snake.
Like i said before, if this had been a civilian he would be in jail right now.

[edit on 8/9/2007 by Kr0n0s]

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_
its rather rude to say such things about it.

Let me ask. Have you ever prejudged something? Just your response in this thread is enough of a yes. That's my whole point. We are not pre-judging. We are speculating. Yes, this speculation has returned the fact that this trigger happy whatever is a dumbass. No offense.

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kr0n0s
Like i said before, if this had been a civilian he would be in jail right now.

Thanks. Another voice of reason.

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Yes, thanks.
By the way, even though I said that the snake was probably a Rat Snake or some other harmless snake. I wasnt suggesting that It wouldve been ok to shoot it had it been anyone of the 4 toxic snakes in the US.
I know how cops are lol, any opportunity to shoot their gun is a good day.
Back in around 1994, I was really close to a police dept on a small barrier island (Port Aransas) in Tx.
One day the mayor got word that the very numerous and very large nutrients were edangering the lives of the other animals, mostly birds, at the very newly created bird refuge park. Seems the nutrias were eating all the reeds that the birds used for nesting.
Per the Mayors request the police dept, some deputies and one very happy/excited civilian (Me) were allowed to take our weapons down to this area and start shooting anything we seen swimming that resembled a big rat. We killed at least 3-400 before we seen and somebody shot at a 16 feet long Alligator. Since they are protected, the shooting stopped and the trappings started.. had a blast though

My point is that there were undoubtedly many other options that this officer had but the overwhelming compulsion to Pull Da Trigger was just to much for him.
He was Irresponsible, negligent and because of that he is now a Murderer!

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Just remember this: If you had shot a gun and accidently hit some cop and killed him, you would have been charged with 1st degree murder and left to rot in jail while they sorted it out; there are two standards for justice: US and THEM and anyone who whine that the cop is just a victim of circumstance and was only trying to be a good guy is sick in the head.

The filthy cop did'nt even tell the grandpa what happened..they were busy getting a cover story down ; there is only one way to get justice in a case like this: It should be made clear that if that cop does not leave the state immediately that his life will be worth zilch. If that killer pig had to think about being offed every day while he drove around stuffing his pig face with donuts he would get out of Dodge really fast.

Here in the Smoky Mtn.'s, if this happened the family of the boy would make sure that the pig never set foot in the county again or be disappeared into the forst forever. Force is all the Nazi scum comprehend, so give them what they give us.

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Well, that cop was clearly not using his best judgement. I do think that there was probably a more efficient way to get that snake down without using a gun. I have been around some deadly, hissing snakes and there are always ways. I do not think because the snake was in a tree he had to go and shoot it. Anyway he should of made sure the area was clear and been more aware (as cops should always be). I would not judge all cops because a lot of them are stupid and do use their power in corrupt ways. Most are honest and do make good choices. Apparently not all cops use good judgment. That is a sad thing with the little boy out fishing. I am sure the cop just wants to find some dark corner somewhere, I know I could not live with myself, had I killed a little boy. Sad...

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I read that the snake was a Rat Snake and only dangerous to birds and their eggs.

Roper

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I blame the cop fully.

Anybody who has ever held and shot any type of gun will naturally and fully well understand the power and responsibility the thing has. thats why any criminal who has shot a person before has no excuse in saying that he didn't know the gun could severly injure or kill someone. Anybody whos held and shot a gun understands what they are capable of.

THis cop hoad this knowledge plus the benefit of gun safety eduction and marksmanship training. He knew more so than than just about anybody else he dangers of discharging his firearm.

He knew that he should check the area first and to ensure that the fireing line was totally one hundred percent clear. He didn't do that. didn't even try. thats negligence period.

He knew that there were lots of other options including the legal ones such as calling animal control to resorting to using a rirearm to hit a target no more than 1 1/5 inches across. He had no knowledge of weather or not the animal was even dangerous. turns out it wasn't if anything the animal had a symbiotic relationship to the humans in the area. He didn't try to identify the creature or be thurough in his manner in any way.

Finally so what if the snake was venomus. So what if it was even a foriegn venomus snake. It hasn't killed anybody. was minding it's own business, and would probably get along just fine with the people living around it without it harming anybody. If it was a cobra. again so what. look for it with animal control and try to get it. if not. don't worry it wont survive for long anyways and it can't reproduce if it's an isolated animal on a seperate continant with no others around to mate with.

THe cop was negligent and recless and is guilty of involentary manslaughter and should be held accountable.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join