It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flashlight Weapon Makes Targets Throw Up

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Flashlight Weapon Makes Targets Throw Up

www.foxnews.com

It looks like a big flashlight — but it's really a nonlethal weapon designed to make you sick.

The handheld device using light-emitting diodes to emit super-bright pulses of light at rapidly changing wavelengths, causing disorientation, nausea and even vomiting in whomever it's pointed at.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Hehehe! A vomit inducing stick to ward away those pesky illegals.

Maybe a pair sunglasses might help

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 01:58 PM
link   
News flash : Close your freaking eyes.
Not working ? Sun glasses.
Still no joy ? Get a mirror.

Other options ? Well it's optical so throw a hand full of dirt in the air to interfere with the light rays. Wrap your head in see through cloth doused in water. Got a smoke bomb ? Use it. Water hose ? Spray it. No water hose ? Bring a super soaker. Cigarette ? Exhale the smoke in front of your eyes.

I really can go on and on.

But seriously, all you have to do is look away. How lame.

I like the mirror idea the best. I'd love to see the person using this flash light throw up because you bounced the rays back.

Nice way to waste a few million.

low tech > high tech

[edit on 6-8-2007 by discomfit]

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by discomfit

low tech > high tech

We can always go back to using bullets instead of wasting millions on weapons in hopes of not harming humans physically.

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Actually we're kind of out of bullets. We keep having to buy them from Israel.

Go figure.

US forces have fired so many bullets in Iraq and Afghanistan - an estimated 250,000 for every insurgent killed - that American ammunition-makers cannot keep up with demand. As a result the US is having to import supplies from Israel.

link

This is _at least_ the third time during the war I've read about our "bullet shortage".

Makes me sick every time.

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Other options ? Well it's optical so throw a hand full of dirt in the air to interfere with the light rays. Wrap your head in see through cloth doused in water. Got a smoke bomb ? Use it. Water hose ? Spray it. No water hose ? Bring a super soaker. Cigarette ? Exhale the smoke in front of your eyes.

I really can go on and on.

But seriously, all you have to do is look away. How lame.

I like the mirror idea the best. I'd love to see the person using this flash light throw up because you bounced the rays back.

I wonder . . . kind of assume . . .

The puppet masters goons would likely flood a given space with such strobes from 4 directions or more . . . probably with their own guys having visors which filtered out sufficient wave lengths to render the strobes ineffective on them.

Could be effective in a number of situations.

But . . . certainly, I assume you won't allow my poor comments to hinder any degree of chronic derision . . . chronic derision being soooooo hip and all.

/sar

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Non-lethal?

Well, perhaps.

However, it has been shown that "bright, flashing lights" can, and have, induced both "petit" and "grand-mal"-type epileptic siezures in susceptable victims.

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Or one could use other means such as 95GHz RF... LOL. Or one could find out "Vlad's evil wavelength" and produce polarized sun glasses that filter the offending wavelength.

My big fear is the production of mass-seizure inducing weapons which could be "assembled" using a variety of potentially non-visible wavelengths.

I am in favour of some applications of non/less lethal technologies, others DO scare me, not so much the tech itself but those who will wield that tech. Those folks are human. Stuff happens.

Cheers,

Vic

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bhadhidar

However, it has been shown that "bright, flashing lights" can, and have, induced both "petit" and "grand-mal"-type epileptic siezures in susceptable victims.

I used to have petit-mal. So maybe if I didn't look away in time I'd just pass out for several hours

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Weeell, actually, there's a lot of study on this issue, and there's been some devices out for a while.

I don't know about this particular design, but oddly enough, the blink reflex can be used to make your eyes OPEN as well as close. A bright enough flash can pop your little eyelids right open.

On top of which, in one sense it's a bad idea to close your eyes - that "magic color" they're talking about? It's almost exactly the color you get if I shine slightly yellow-white light at a closed eyelid: it's in the reddish orange end of the spectrum.

So go ahead and close 'em, because they'll be sure to include a color that will filter out to the right intensity and wavelength through a closed eyelid.

At any rate, this will probably be used to disorient people in a closed space, such as during dynamic entry. Some guys used to have green divergent beam laser dazzler clipons for M4's in their admittedly flexible TO&E that would make anyone look away. It's hard to respond with accurate fire when you've got half a watt of green hell in your face. At one time you could only get red dazzlers like the Saber. Green works better.

Also, there's been lots of interest for quite some time into "disabling optical munitions" that trigger absence seizures even in individuals who are not normally epileptic.

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 11:26 PM
link   
What the heck?!? A barf ray!

Move over Men in Black...we have ourselves a new toy.

I suppose this devise won't be available to the general public and for good reason. Little Johnny will be sadly disappointed when he doesn't find his new toy under the tree this Christmas.

Boy oh boy, Imagine something like this being used on riot crowds? Never mind the tear gas or pepper spray. Point...Click...AND...

< VOILA!

I wonder what the reprecussions are, for using the wavelengths on people over extended amounts of time? The article says that the effects wear off after a short time, however, that can't be good for the noggin. Messing up normal brain wave patterns; there's bound to be consequences.

Also, I wonder if this would bring out 'epileptic seisures'?

[edit on 6-8-2007 by TheDuckster]

top topics

join