It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Threads, a movie every ATS member should watch.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Is now available on google video!
Threads
Threads is a 1984 docudrama concerning a nuclear strike in england. I warn you now, while "docudrama" may sound tame, this film is grpahic and disturbing. It goes into great detail the effects of a nuclear strike on the city of sheffield, especially the after effects, death, radiation sickness, etc.

The story focuses on two families from Sheffield, beginning nearly three months before the attack, which happens on Thursday, 26 May; the year is unspecified, but, relative to 1984, the closest years in which 26 May fell on a Thursday are 1983 and 1988. We watch their lifestyle and their reactions, first as fighting erupts and escalates, then as the UK places itself on a war footing, and eventually as strategic bombing commences. We then follow family members as they face, and sometimes die of, the medical, economic, social, and environmental consequences of a nuclear war. The film concludes thirteen years after the attack, as civilization rebuilds to a stage like the early Industrial Era. Both the plot and the atmosphere of the film are extremely bleak.

Although outdated, it really is a film that any survivalist looking at the possibility of a nuclear war should watch. I warn you again, this film is EXTREMELY graphic and horrific in nature, and should only be watched by those ready to stomach the effects of a nuclear attack.

[edit on 6-8-2007 by D.E.M.]

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Thanks for the link. I watched most of it and determined that this is a remake of the American movie from 1983 THE DAY AFTER

The story lines are almost identical. It still is a great movie to watch. I grew up during those years and my childhood was one of dread that the nukes were destined to fall from the sky. I was very nervous about it and watching that movie was like a confirmation of my greatest fears. Watching it today, I got a chance to relive that dreadful feeling albeit on a much smaller level. I hope my children never have to realize that fear.

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Has anyone here lived through the cuban missile crisis, in the early 60's. What was it like for you if you lived through it.

Thx for the video, and i am sure there are a few of these vids around, that must of been made, in the cold war.

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Gets pretty interesting around 21:20.

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
Has anyone here lived through the cuban missile crisis, in the early 60's. What was it like for you if you lived through it.

I was 6 years old at the time. Turned 7 that month. I can remember helping my mom take jars of food to the basement. I also remember helping my neighbors clean out an area of their basement and, using a fireman's line, handing boxes and clothing from one person to another for their shelter. I wasn't scared, don't really remember any emotion that stands out for those days. I remember public statements made by Kennedy and then the local Civil Defense handed out pamphlets at school.

I can even remember the green cans and boxes of ?? (food and candy) in the boiler room of my grade school for the public shelter. That stuff was still there in 1968 when I went on to high school. They had stuff in their boiler room also.

Times were really different then.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 08:00 AM
link   
I saw The Day After quite awhile ago so I don't remember all the details, but I agree with the OP that this movie is worth seeing --- especially for all the survival forum folks. It paints a very bleak picture (especially during the run-up to the event) of communication, travel and supplies. The 'bug-out' crowd should see this for sure.

Personally, I think a nuclear exchange of this sort is far less likley now than it was back in the 60's - 70's. First, the major players have moved away from the huge megaton nukes to larger numbers of the ~200kt types (far better targetability nowadays). Back then, governments believed that nuclear wars were winnable. That is no longer true.

What is far more likely is a single or 'handful' of placed weapons (via truck, container or ship) by some terrorist group. The damage would be catastrophic but nowhere near the scenario in this movie. The sheer horror of the event would be enough to cause an international reaction that would backfire on the perpetrators in a massive way. No one would want to be allied in any way, shape or form with the people reponsible. Masses of citizens of all countries would demand that their governments eliminate nukes.

Just MHO.

apc

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I have it on DivX around here somewhere. It's not that graphic, although that could be subjective. I'd like to see a modern remake with a healthy budget.

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I watched it. Its defiantly a loose copy of the day after. I didn't enjoy the day after and I didn't enjoy this film. In My opinion Once the dust settled we would rather quickly clean up and then rebuild. Just because the stuff is wrecked doesn't mean the knowledge has been forgotten. So if there is anybody left alot will have skills. they will use those skills helping other's and them selfs. then those others who have skills of there own will use there skills. Slowly but sherly the things will get back. maybe even better because we wont be tripping all over each other any more because of to many people. A culling of the herd so to speak. well thats my opinion anyway.

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Just found this forum 2 days and this link early this morning...
I should have been sleeping, instead I may not for a while ..jk, mostly...=) I remember watching "The Day After" many years ago. This is definitely in the same vein, though more gritty (if my memory serves). I won't say I had forgotten. But as the world has changed my thoughts have shifted to a more terrorist based act/smaller scale disaster focus. This film definitely helped me remember why I remember (if that makes any sense?) and am self-sufficient now.
Thanks for posting the link.
~anahna

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by anahna muss

The movie "Testament" from around 1983 was the darkest movie of that type that I've seen. It's about a small town in California after a Nuclear War starts

Mod Edit: Big Quote – Please Review This Link.
specifically
(don't)

Quote the post immediately before yours: This doesn't make much sense, but if you must quote the post before yours, please quote just a small portion.

Or, better yet , use the new 'reply to' button at the top right of the post screen, like I did for you here.

[edit on 15-9-2007 by Jbird]

top topics

join