It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Print your own solar panels...Far Out!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Researchers at New Jersey Institute of Technology (NJIT) have developed an inexpensive solar cell that can be painted or printed on flexible plastic sheets. "The process is simple," said lead researcher and author Somenath Mitra, PhD, professor and acting chair of NJIT's Department of Chemistry and Environmental Sciences. "Someday homeowners will even be able to print sheets of these solar cells with inexpensive home-based inkjet printers. Consumers can then slap the finished product on a wall, roof or billboard to create their own power stations."

The solar cell developed at NJIT uses a carbon nanotubes complex, which by the way, is a molecular configuration of carbon in a cylindrical shape. The name is derived from the tube's miniscule size. Scientists estimate nanotubes to be 50,000 times smaller than a human hair. Nevertheless, just one nanotube can conduct current better than any conventional electrical wire. "Actually, nanotubes are significantly better conductors than copper," Mitra added.

Full Science Daily Article Here

Now THIS could get interesting in my opinion.....

just think, being able to create your own solar cells AND artwork to boot!

The market for this may be a little different from the conventional solar product applications up till now. We're talking more than panels here. We're talking just about anything you can get paint on! Advertising, graphics, promotion, packaging, decoration and most of all, art, but the list could go on for ages.

I know it's ironic but maybe the solar-age needs the products of corporate consumer fed greed to help it grow. As long as this energy is promoted and is made use of it's a good thing, I just don't want to have it

I can't wait to see this available to everyone for fun and freedom.

Think of all the far out things you could do with this!

[edit on 1/8/2007 by nerbot]

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 08:34 PM
link   
"Fullerene single wall carbon nanotube complex for polymer bulk heterojunction photovoltaic cells,"

thats what the technology is called now, according to your linked article.
Hopefully, they come up with something a little more catchy, for marketing purposes.

I think you are correct about building the industry with gadgets and toys, in the beginning. I'd love to take some small inexpensive solar powered chargers on our camping trips. And all the better if they are linkable, or expandable, to increase voltage , or current.

One of the big problems with Home solar is startup costs..I keep looking into it, but the ROI, is still not fast enough for me. Even with tax incentives.

Things like this might change the industry.

[edit on 1-8-2007 by spacedoubt]

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 09:07 PM
link   
now that thats made i can my invention come true an artificaly solar powered lamp that would double as an outlet to power things

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 09:22 PM
link   
I feel like anything on the subject of nanotech should bear the background concerns related to morgellons, etc.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

One day that solar print out will be covered in Green Goo

"fullerene single wall carbon nanotube complex"

What's going to grow on it when it blows off the roof and litters the street?

I am,

Sri Oracle

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sri Oracle

I don't imagine this kind of technology would get used on roofs. This thing sounds to me to be more useful in small, lightweight applications that deal in small charges, therefore being used in mainstream marketing of everyday consumer items where image is the key.

I see this stuff like paint!

But I am interested in the nature of the materials?

"Sri Oracle"...Thanks for the ATS link, but could you please check your "green goo" link.

Cheers

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 11:20 PM
link   
There have been many advances in solar power...NONE have made the impact required to FREE the AMERICAN PEOPLE from PAYING A POWER BILL..
Now why is that?

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 01:37 AM
link   
The answer to that can be found in the "peak oil" discussions.

This should be very interesting once it becomes mainstream.
Imagine the casing of your stereo/computer being a photo voltaic plate. Not because you made it out of solar cells, but because you painted it that way.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot

Originally posted by Sri Oracle

I don't imagine this kind of technology would get used on roofs. This thing sounds to me to be more useful in small, lightweight applications that deal in small charges, therefore being used in mainstream marketing of everyday consumer items where image is the key.

I see this stuff like paint!

But I am interested in the nature of the materials?

"Sri Oracle"...Thanks for the ATS link, but could you please check your "green goo" link.

Cheers

I run a small solar cell unit on top of my VW van to keep the auxiliary batteries charged. Now painting the entire top or part of the roof would be a great idea!

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 03:30 AM
link   
many people in the uk will remember the thatcher years . one of her 'achievements' was to pretty much close down the coal industry and throw hundreds of thousands of people out of work. all because they could buy it cheaper abroad.

now, will any government close down their whole electrical industry if a cheaper and more viable solar alternative is available? will home owners and businesses be given grants to kit out their homes with solar power to make them WANT to do it?

every time you hear in the future any official ranting about global warming and what needs to be done, remember the above

Dae

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 08:11 AM
link   
justyc, I'm not sure I have understood you right but...

It’s not the same thing; you are mixing a business decision with progression. What Thatcher did was purely for money. If we have to say farewell to traditional electricity supply for a more progressive one then so be it, rather like when we stopped using horse and carriage for our means of transport, I’m sure the blacksmiths weren’t too happy but do we really keep using horse and carriage because of that? No, we don’t. Sticking with a technology just because it is someone’s profession is not a wise and forward thinking society.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 08:28 AM
link   
dae, what i meant was that if a cheap and reliable solar alternative to electricity can be made (and if this report is true then it holds much promise that it is possible) then shouldn't the coal/oil/nuclear electric companies be forced to close down? after all, it would be both a business and progressive decision to do so.

i was pointing out something you should bear in mind every time you hear a politician go on about global warming and that is to wonder why so little is done to encourage mass solar use. if a whole industry can be closed down for one reason then surely another can be closed down for a worthwhile reason ie - saving the planet, cleaner air etc.

if they care so much for the planet they should consider options like this on top of their new global warming taxes they will bring in

Dae

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Ahh ok, we are on the same page then!

Heres to the solar-age, when the mystery of electrical energy is finally understood!

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stanley06
There have been many advances in solar power...NONE have made the impact required to FREE the AMERICAN PEOPLE from PAYING A POWER BILL..
Now why is that?

I am presently in the process of installing new solar windows in my house as well as solar collectors on the inside wall of my back yard fence. My project will be complete by this time next year and should cut my energy needs completely from the power grid. As of Christmas of next year I will be selling power back to the grid. And have a tax write off to boot
. I am doing my part.
Everyone is so caught up in Hydrogen that we have just over looked the sun. The only reason our administration is looking into hydrogen is because it is still going to require a big controlling body like big oil to produce the station needed to power cars and such. The politicians NEVER want energy independance for consumers. The sun and wind are the ONLY FREE POWER. Everyones needs to think solar!!!

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I LOVE this Thread!!! I can't wait to show my husband.
We have considered going into the solar industry as a family buisness.
This would enable solar to be used by far more people for personal use. The V.W. idea sounds great I would like to hear more About it, U2U me if you can ok?

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 11:21 AM
link   
This is fantastic news. I cannot wait until such a time that we can have a viable choice of energy. I too am hesitant to make the leap due to start up costs and roi as well. If/when this becomes mainstream, I will be in line buying up my share.

TSloan, this is a good thing that you are doing. May I ask that you keep a journal of sorts that you could share with us in a year? You could help those of us who are on the fence so to speak.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Awesome!
So I just head down to my local Home Depot and buy a can of it? Do they have it in the Ralph Lauren signature colors?

[edit on 2-8-2007 by mecheng]

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Fantastic find!

I love this type of information, since I dabble in alternative energy sources and green power structures. Thanks I am going to dig into this one it does look like a breakthrough.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by shadow watcher
This is fantastic news. I cannot wait until such a time that we can have a viable choice of energy. I too am hesitant to make the leap due to start up costs and roi as well. If/when this becomes mainstream, I will be in line buying up my share.

TSloan, this is a good thing that you are doing. May I ask that you keep a journal of sorts that you could share with us in a year? You could help those of us who are on the fence so to speak.

Not a problem. I have been working on this since October of last year. I can't wait to throw the breaker on my own power. I got the idea from HGTV about 2 years ago. The only down fall is the price. We have replaced all the east facing windows and 3/4 of the west side of the house at 5,500.00 each it has been a pocket draining nightmare. But it will be worth while. As soon as were all wired up and converting power I will post the pictures in the scrape book here so everyone can check them out.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Realtruth
Fantastic find!

I love this type of information, since I dabble in alternative energy sources and green power structures. Thanks I am going to dig into this one it does look like a breakthrough.

Cheers Realtruth, I like these sort of things too and the idea of being able to make or manufacture with a technology like this is just awesome. The skies really are the limit.

To make small batteries that need so much power in this day and age of gadgets and gizmos is insane. Not only are they expensive, but the wasted resources from them is often lying round the house or put in the bin, only sometimes recycled.

Imagine mobile phones that charge as they sit in your pocket...no wires.

Imagine painted balloons that play tunes.

Imagine the gutter on your roof powering the air conditioner.

And how about an umbrella that has an mp3 player built into the handle.

I suppose my point is, that with this breakthrough in technology, although not completely new, comes a completely new market. On the one hand you have the excellent solar harvesting abilities of nano-technology, and on the other, you have a new creative medium for the consumer markets, markets that can now re-think and re-design their products. It's a revolution!

I would love to see this grow into something more than just "gimmick", and hope that the power and creativity of the individual can stand up to the heavy corporate hand.

This is why it is important that this product gets to the public as a usable material ...eg: spraypaint, brush-on paint, inkjet refills, pre-made adhesive sheet, tape, etc, and not just manufactured goods from a limited and controlled select group of fatcats.

I have heard a few mentions about concerns regarding problems and risks with this new field of science/manufacture. We must also keep tabs on where this is going. Reports have surfaced over the last few years concerning this topic, and for me this is a good thing because it's still progressing and hasn't been sidelined.

I think in general it's time to start using the advances presented in this method of power and the more interest it gets, the sooner it will grow. Let the fatcats worry about hydrogen for a while, I'm getting out my spraygun and soldering iron!

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot

Cheers

funny...

I added a period to the end of the link and it ruined it... here's the Green Goo link:

www.wired.com...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join