It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Major Bridge Collapse in Minneapolis, Minnesota... Many Injuries/Deaths Feared

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by antar
I am wondering if any members from the forum will have eye witness reports?
This is a terrible tragedy and it is just maddening to think of the bridge only being 40 years old.
I am so sorry for the families that are still waiting to hear information about their loved ones.
It was a structural collapse.
If 'your' loved ones were there you would not be joking about Mothman, show some respect.

I was not joking about the Mothman Prophecies. I find it odd this bridge was built the same year as the Silver Bridge freak accident over the Ohio River.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Long-time lurker, first post.

I truly appreciate how quickly many posters come up with information here. Usually on simpler issues it takes a few pages of posts for enough information to come out to form an educated “opinion”.

I say opinion because I try to use care in claiming something is fact without first hand concrete facts.

Information gathered from this site so far

1. Bridge has had a history of problems since it was first built.
2. Aerial photo by Spoontoad shows what appears to be a dam of some type just upstream of bridge
a. Water coming out of dam is accelerated and could have caused erosion around pilings
b. Wouldn’t be surprised if it was the center (North/center) area which collapsed first this would support the erosion possibility.

3. Jack Hammer and/or pile driving activity prior to collapse
a. Can’t remember what it’s called (Hydro faction maybe?) but, vibration causes water in the ground to raise to the surface. The water in soil will travel to the source of the vibration and the soil will liquefy.

IMO, this is what happened. Erosion/soil problems with pilings, no surprise being just downstream from a dam. Final collapse triggered by the vibration of construction on the bridge area (mainly pile driving).

Last summer I rented a bulldozer to work on our 1500 ft driveway. This was the end of a Texas drought. I ran the dozer multiple times over a low spot which looked dry but, the last time I ran over it, the ground literally turned to mush in an instant and I barely got the dozer out. Crazy thing caught me way off guard.

Again, just my opinion.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 01:27 AM
link   
All you members saying 'shut your mouths if you think it's terrorism', think again. Eye witnesses on Fox and CNN have been heard to say a plume of dust shot up 200 ft in the air just before the bridge collapsed. Another woman said she saw things blowing up and blowing out in front of her before the collapse.

Discussion here: /2fm48j

To me, it's like the 911 witnesses all over again who get muzzled and forgotten about as the media pushes for an 'official story'. Could be a false flag rehearsal / tester too. A psyop of sorts. They won't blame 'terrorists' but they will certainly measure the reaction and plan accordingly as the NWO beckons. I think it probably was an unfortunate set of natural circumstances but I also think the Illuminati overlords are watching with keen interest. A collection of 'tragedies' in far-flung places across the USA, add in a dash of suitcase nuke, and you have 911 x 100!!!

[edit on 2-8-2007 by RiotComing]

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 01:36 AM
link   

originally posted by Exmar
2. Aerial photo by Spoontoad shows what appears to be a dam of some type just upstream of bridge

a. Water coming out of dam is accelerated and could have caused erosion around pilings

From reports at the scene, the dam or waterfall you speak of is actually downstream of the bridge. It's obvious that the nature of this collapse is out the ordinary. For this reason, I would expect extraordinary causes.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by HaveSeen4Myself

originally posted by Exmar

From reports at the scene, the dam or waterfall you speak of is actually downstream of the bridge. It's obvious that the nature of this collapse is out the ordinary. For this reason, I would expect extraordinary causes.

Absolutely right. I've driven over this bridge many times and i'm fairly sure that that dam is downstream, although i'm fairly sure that the causes of this accident are mundane. Either way, it is a SMALL dam- there is nothing very major dam-wise around this part of the river. Not to say that soil erosion couldn't have been the cause. And "illuminatti overlords?" give me a break.
also, dust shooting up and loud buckling seem fairly normal occurances given the volume of material falling. I say we give this time, I'm sure (as much as many here would hate it) that there will be a very normal explanation for us all to ponder in the upcoming weeks. I think that on my way to school tomorrow I'll give this a long hard look with my own eyes- I'll make sure to give you guys a full unbiased report. And if I dont, the overlords got me!!

EDIT: RiotComing- Minneapolis "far-flung?" check again, "16th largest city in the U.S. and primary business and financial center between Seattle and Chicago." -Wikipedia add that to the neighbouring capital St. Paul which is essentially connected to MPLS and you get a HUGE urban area.

[edit on 2-8-2007 by andyzero1234]

[edit on 2-8-2007 by andyzero1234]

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by mjmurphy53711
"Minnesota just doesn't seem like the kind of place that some terrorist cell would chose on a map as the best target, unless they did the whole throwing the dart at the map thing. "

It is a city of over 1 million people and has the "mall of america".

In addition to being 'metro area' withing the US, and having the MofA, the State of Minnesota is the first state in the Union to have a muslim Congressman, Keith Ellison. I would imagine that there would be a large Muslim population living there, in order for a muslim politician to rise up to be in position to get elected. Perhaps not, I have only been there a few times and am completely unfamiliar with the city. Is the bridge in Mr. Ellison's cogressional district?

If it is, and one considers that 'terrorist' is not another name for 'muslim' and could just as easily be a white, midwesterner, there would be reasons to create a 'black-ops'. You get the initial reaction of TERROR!!! from the public to make sure they don't pay too close of attention to the refusal of Karl Rove to report to congress while under oath. Plus, after the initial reaction, one could still connect a 'muslim' to the tragedy.

I dunno. I doubt this is terror, but actually a terrible accident. One that I imagine we will see more and more of. Near where I live in California, a bridge being constructed fell on a highway. Two collapses in two days, two terrible accidents, but not a conspiracy. But that doesn't mean that it is not possible, or that the effect of a terror attack are achieved by reporting on TERRORible accidents. It is naive to assume that it couldn't be a terror attack, but even more naive that if it were, that we have to assume it is Al Qaida secret cells....

DocMoreau

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Granted, I don't live there but going by this Google map image it couldn't be more obvious that the small dam is upstream of the bridge.

Don't mean to question 2 of you with personal knowledge of the area but, until I see proof otherwise the dam is UPstream.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 02:40 AM
link   
I don't know if this has come up yet:
Does anyone know if the construction work included any welding? Because even simple auxliary weldings like attaching handrails etc. can cause steel structures to loose their strentgh and/or flexibility? This a one possible cause for the collapse...

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

Major Bridge Collapse in Minneapolis, Minnesota... Many Injuries/Deaths Feared

(visit the link for the full news article)

Just for you to know, this is the beginning of the new world order, many to come, many to go. Don't take my word for it, just look around you, and when you least expect it.. expect it..

I really feel sorry for all the lives lost, greater things are going to happen tomorrow, and no, it's not the islamic terrorists, it's the world as we know it changing.. If traveling, don't go by train.

But as I said, don't take my word for it, just look and you will se the great change.

Best regards, and my condolences to all lost lives.

Mod edit: shortened the quoted part

[edit on 2007/8/2 by Hellmutt]

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 02:57 AM
link   
Mark my words...
Tomorrow this WILL be blamed on Global Warming..,

It was a structural failure. Nothing more nothing less. A trajic loss to America, but none the less an accident that has claimed many lives.

Please let them rest in peace.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 03:12 AM
link   
If this is blamed on Global Warming (which it wont, there's no possible way) then they're taking the whole issue a'tad too far. While it doesn't matter if there's truth to Global Warming or not (I believe there is, but not to the extremes) it's still a positive step for mankind to work towards a more environment friendly world. It leads to better and far more efficient technologies.

This whole issue could have been far worse then it was. While it's still a tragedy, it had the potential to be a horrid disaster. With 50-100 cars on the bridge at the time of the collapse? Yikes.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by IllumUA

Just for you to know, this is the beginning of the new world order, many to come, many to go. Don't take my word for it, just look around you, and when you least expect it.. expect it..

I really feel sorry for all the lives lost, greater things are going to happen tomorrow, and no, it's not the islamic terrorists, it's the world as we know it changing.. If traveling, don't go by train.

But as I said, don't take my word for it, just look and you will se the great change.

Best regards, and my condolences to all lost lives.

What do you mean don't go by train? Are you privy to information we don't know about? Please tell...

Mod edit: shortened the quoted part

[edit on 2007/8/2 by Hellmutt]

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by mjmurphy53711
"Minnesota just doesn't seem like the kind of place that some terrorist cell would chose on a map as the best target, unless they did the whole throwing the dart at the map thing. "

It is a city of over 1 million people and has the "mall of america".

Minneapolis would be a pretty bad target, unless it was speifically to show that "it can happen anywhere.

I think he city itself has only 300-some thousand, (of course the metro area is much larger).

And, of course, getting rid of the Mall of America would be a favor.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 04:25 AM
link   
CNN here in UK currently showing CCTV footage of acual bridge collapse.
No obvious signs of detonation etc, imo, definately structural failure and not terrorist attack.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 05:10 AM
link   
The official death toll is now 9. There's still 20 missing people. CNN also has an exclusive video of the actual collapse. There's absolutely no trace of any terrorist activity. It's simply an accident.

The video is being looped right now there so if you want to see for yourself, just turn on CNN. LiveLeak should also have it soon. I'll be posting that once it goes up.

[edit on 2-8-2007 by Donoso]

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 05:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Donoso
The video is being looped right now there so if you want to see for yourself, just turn on CNN. LiveLeak should also have it soon. I'll be posting that once it goes up.

I caught it on my TiVO... I'll put it up on YouTube once I extract it and convert it.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 05:30 AM
link   
You should also put it up on LiveLeak. I can't imagine why it's not up already.

www.liveleak.com...

Edit: Forgot the link.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Donoso
You should also put it up on LiveLeak.

OK, I'll try that too. I just registered

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS
Since this is ATS I'll be the first to ask.

Have there been any UFO and flying humanoid sightings there? Aka Mothmen?

Something about this reminds me of John Keel's Mothman Prophecies.

[edit on 1/8/07 by MikeboydUS]
Without my tin foil hat, i'd say it was just a very unfortunate disaster!
Once i put my hat on, i thought "Mothman" did it again?!!!

And NO, it was not terrorism. The government would know.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Actually, here's the video straight from CNN:

CNN Video

Gosh. It's pretty clear that the engineering is to blame on this one. While it's a relatively old bridge, it's still horrid. I'm pretty sure we're going to see an increase in investigation and or maintenance when it comes to bridges. That's the least we can expect.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join