It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Major Bridge Collapse in Minneapolis, Minnesota... Many Injuries/Deaths Feared

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 01:50 PM
link   
[newsman] tell us aboout your mom...we know you were adopted..tell us about that

[kids go on to explain how they were adopted with the alligator tears and all that...

[newsman] what do you want the world to know about your mom?
-----------

why does the friggin news exploit people like this?

i saw them all over one of the kids that were on the bus. they wanted th kid to tell him 'what are you feeling'? did you get any sleep? why not?

what the hell is wrong with these people...

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love

Originally posted by andyzero1234
It seems as if the flow of the conversation went from "must have been terrorism!!!" or "It was the government!!!11" to some real intelligent detective work using what solid information is available so far.

Just for the record, it's wrong to separate the two, they're one in the same.

Peace

I'm sorry but I really don't understand what you mean by that... clarify?

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Yes bridges do collapse all the time but watching the video footage the first section fell evenly, not say at one point dragging the rest down with it.

You would expect failure at one point followed by succesive failure but this did not happen, Why.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 01:59 PM
link   
The I-35W bridge undoubtedly collapsed because a construction worker accidentally cut into one of the prestress cables. Many who witnessed the collapse said it started in the middle and then collapsed in both directions. The reports of the rumbling sound heard is what you would expect if one of those cables was accidentally cut. The puffs of smoke prior to the collapse would be the concrete disintegrating.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by magicmushroom
Yes bridges do collapse all the time but watching the video footage the first section fell evenly, not say at one point dragging the rest down with it.

You would expect failure at one point followed by succesive failure but this did not happen, Why.

The idea is that this is a single arch bridge with no supports in the middle so a single failure at either end would cause the entire span to collapse.

rancelot: I also believe that this is the most likely cause. A cut in one or more of the cables running along the top of the span seems to me like it could be the cause.

[edit on 2-8-2007 by andyzero1234]

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Thanks to John for reminding me of the bigger picture.
This event is an absolute tragedy but just one of many that continue to happen each day.

How many more wake up calls is it going to take for people to open their eyes and ears.

I was always raised to say sorry when I did something wrong but these days, and in this country especially, it's all about denying responsibility and finger pointing.
Until we take responsibility for our own actions how can we judge others.
When was the last time you had a bad day at work and stuffed up?
Maybe it didn't cost a life but it is incidents like this that remind us that even the most menial of tasks matter. Everything combines together to form a chain reaction of events.
Taking pride in ones work is a lost art.
Maybe it was the weather, maybe it was bad workmanship, mismanagement, design, engineering,etc whatever.
But In the end it happened.
We watch and wonder and wait for the next disaster to strike.
Keep the bandaids ready.

Ignorance is certainly not blissful.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 02:17 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

i do not believe the terror warning i was talking about was from 2005!!!

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 02:19 PM
link   
also don't bridges have redundancy to stop a comlpete failure like this?? So if one section fails it should't bring down the whole bridge?? Thats what they were saying on the news program i watched last night!!

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 02:21 PM
link   
concrete disinegrating...just like WTC 1&2

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Well, that would derail this thread, but I will tell you that you're on the right website. There's plenty of information here to answer your question. Enjoy.

Peace

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 02:43 PM
link   
There needs to be a little bit of critical thinking applied to this thread. I keep seeing things like:

"A bridge just shouldn't collapse."

Well, why not? I'll tell you a secret: given a long enough time scale every bridge will collapse. What you are used to is the fact that most bridges are torn down before they get anywhere near that point. Most but not all.

"Bridges have redundancy."

No, not really. Except for suspension bridges, if a portion of a span fails then the whole span fails. This bridge, like many many bridges was just ONE span so, if the bridge failed, it fell. Period.

"The concrete disintegrated."

Yeah, except for that huge piece of mostly intact roadway till spanning just above the river.

"The vibrations from [insert some source] did it!"
No, vibrations don't bring down structure without being of an extreme magnitude - then we call them earthquakes.

Jon

[edit on 8.2.2007 by Voxel]

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Thanks for trying to derail the thread John Lear. Bringing something up that has NOTHING to do with the topic at hand. Why this site supports you and does nothing when you break the rules is madness.

The bridge collapse is a horrible event, but I too would not jump to terrorism so swiftly. If massive explosions rocked the bridge beforehand, then yeah but in this case there were no such explosions.

Prayers to the families of the dead and a big God bless to all involved.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmocow
www.abovetopsecret.com...

i do not believe the terror warning i was talking about was from 2005!!!

Then what terror warning were you talking about. The one you linked, thats from 2005.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Voxel

Good post.
I respect your posts because you've proven, at least to me, to be one of our better critical thinkers. That being said, in this post 911 world we live in, everything, and I do mean everything, has to be taken into consideration when it comes to any disaster, especially if the solution to the problem does more harm to us than good.

Could it be that the bridge just flat gave out, absolutely, that's probably what happened, but when we see the media sensationalizing (I think that's a word?
) and crying "infrastructure" and all in a rather short time span, we have to keep our guard up.

Peace

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 03:35 PM
link   
i hope it wasn't a black op for planning to blow up both the main bridges in london and new york simultaneously.

personally i think it was a horrible tragedy.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Bridges collapse sometimes. An overpass collapsed right here in Montreal just last summer. Freak accidents.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 03:44 PM
link   
* As far as predictions go...

Dr. Louis Turi predicted an explosion or some catastrophe for July 31,2007

I think this was just an accident, although, who knows....Does anyone know if something major went down with Bush/Cheney/?Rove at the same time???
It certainly doesnt surprise me if that bridge was blown up just for a week's worth of coverage....

Rove doesnt have to answer to his subpoena either.....
In case you missed it.

Its a shame that so many had to give their lives, for whatever the reason.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmocow
also don't bridges have redundancy to stop a comlpete failure like this?? So if one section fails it should't bring down the whole bridge?? Thats what they were saying on the news program i watched last night!!

Yes. Almost all suspension bridges today have redundancy. However, this particular bridge was built 40 years ago (2 years prior to redundancy being implimented nationwide).

[edit on 2-8-2007 by rancelot]

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love

Well, that would derail this thread, but I will tell you that you're on the right website. There's plenty of information here to answer your question. Enjoy.

Peace

Very cryptic... I've been studying politics for a very long time at several domestic and international schools. I can see how the United States has sponsored what many (including myself) would term 'terrorism' but I can't see how that pertains to anything discussed in this thread so far. I guess I'm still just not sure what you are implying.. The U.S. as terrorists? Sometimes but not all the time. Despite this it is almost always spun the other way.

EDIT: I'm leaving right now to go have a look at this. Be back in about 3 hours to report what I've seen.

[edit on 2-8-2007 by andyzero1234]

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 04:12 PM
link   
O.K. I dont know if anyone mentioned this yet but i had to throw it out there.

Anyone find it interesting that the Republican convention will be held in Minnesota in 2008?

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join