It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Major News Regarding The Above Network and AboveTopSecret.com

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 09:44 AM
link   

SOURCE The Above Network

isnt that like having CNN posting reports on CNN ?

sounds like the forum has become a bit of a cash cow for them... ka-ching!!

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Congratulations 3 Amigos for this giant step into main stream.

Question, now that this forum is planting its feet firmly into the "we are here" aspect of the Net, will mainstream News and/or Politics take better notice of our subjects?

This development to me is sending out a message like, we take ourselves very seriously and you should too.

Again ATS crew, congratulations...you have my support.

[edit on 26/7/07 by Rhain]

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rhain
Question, now that this forum is planting its feet firmly into the "we are here" aspect of the Net, will mainstream News and/or Politics take better notice of our subjects?

We are paying a New York City PR firm a monthly retainer to help accomplish that.

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 09:59 AM
link   
WOW! Until reading this article, I thought that I was participating in
"only" a well designed internet discussion forum. Now I realize that
ATS is much MUCH more than that. There are probably people in
high places all over the planet visiting this forum to gauge public
opinion. Hey gang, we're shaping the future just by talking to each
other and stating our opinions on current topics.

With so much influence, the millions of ATS members should be able
to pull together and focus on achieving goals, like government disclosure
of Extra-Terrestrial existance, etc..

Thanks to the Three Amigos for having the ATS vision, along with the
integrity and steadfastness required to keep this forum in a league far
above all others in every measure of quality, organization and openess!
-CareWeMust (chicago)

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by carewemust

With so much influence, the millions of ATS members should be able
to pull together and focus on achieving goals, like government disclosure
of Extra-Terrestrial existance, etc..

T
I don't think we have reached the million member mark as of yet... Of course, that is not to say we won't...

In regards to this whole issue, while I am happy for the sites' overseers, it does raise some concerns to me. Obviously, any time you get involved with corporations, there are going to be limits to what can be said and done... I have afeeling this little deal is going to wind up limiting what can and cannot be placed on the ATS boards...

We'll see though..

[edit on 26-7-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

And one final piece of information. We often get serious offers of buy-out, and during our planning stages we gave serious consideration to a significant player who was offering the kind of cash that would enable three partners to pay off their mortgages, dance in the street, and take long tropical vacations. We declined because the deal would split our partnership and take control of ATS away from us. This is our passion... we're not going to let go.

[edit on 26-7-2007 by SkepticOverlord]

Im glad you refused the offer. People need a place like this, I think it's quite important it stays the way it is, and risks like that shouldn't be taken.
If i ever get the money to open my dream business ( someday hopefully ), I wouldn't sell it for any amount of money either, because it's my passion.

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 10:11 AM
link   
I hear those niggling worries squirming about in conspiratorial brains. "ATS is going mainstream, and will never be the same! Woe is me!" But nothing ever stops changing in this world, and change is good, most of the time. There's nothing inherently wrong about being mainstream, as long as care is taken not to become a CNN clone. And I for one trust that will not happen.

"The Three Amigos have sold out to the man." Sorry, money is the energy that drives the engine of progress, and if you think about it, they've been selling for a long time. While they have kept certain standards and ideals for this site, they have also kept one eye on the $$$$$. As any good businessman does. If they had not, this site would have folded it's tent long ago.

Will we watch for changes? Sure. And many of us will point out ones we feel, should it happen, that betray the ideals of this site. And because we come here of our own volition, the owners and investors will always be concerned, lest we leave by the same door.

I personally expect that ATS will remain much the same, simply having a wider audience and more impact. I see this as a chance to grow our voice. We could become the new Radio Free America.

Give it a chance.

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 10:16 AM
link   
So can board members purchase stock? Is there a PPM? I am an accredited investor, and would like to review if at all possible.

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
In regards to this whole issue, while I am happy for the sites overseers, it does raise some concerns to me. Obviously, any time you get involved with corporations, there are going to be limits to what can be said and done... I have afeeling this little deal is going to wind up limiting what can and cannot be placed on the ATS boards...

We'll see though..

[edit on 26-7-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

Thats my concern too. SO has said it wont happen, but its hard to say what Corporate powers will exert on the Amigo's. Im not entirely sure what would happen if censorship hit ATS, but i doubt the reaction from the community would be positive.

NC, no one is talking about jumping ship, i guess we're all a little stuborn when it comes to change. I see this as a good move, both for the Amigo's and for the community at large, but after all, this is a conspiracy site.

[edit on 26-7-2007 by InSpiteOf]

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 10:20 AM
link   
While some might see this move as cause for concern, nothing could be further from the truth. Investors will not be dictating board policy, that remains the sole domain of the Three Amigos. Neither will your chickens be stolen by The Crab People or whomever.

ATS has grown with its membership to become a serious entity. In an age where everyone and their sister can put up a web page and start a phpBB forum in literally minutes, it's easy to assume that a site like ATS is just some high school friends hanging out wearing tinfoil hats, sitting in their mom's basement, and tapping away on camo-painted keyboards. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Because ATS is, in fact, run by serious professionals whom have the education and experience necessary to run a full-fledged business, and not by part some part-time script-kiddies, ATS has managed to provide a polite, serious, and high-quality medium towards the discussion and legitimization of topics "normal" society would consider taboo at best, and career-ending at worst. As a result, the enormous amount of user-generated content that is being constantly developed has reached a level where it's time to take the next step.

What if you could change the world, even a little bit?

By denying ignorance on a topic, and discussing it rationally, with reason and logic, rather than recitation of insults and accusations of quackery, we've managed to create a welcoming home for anyone and everyone willing to express their views, or read the views of others, so long as they behave like a mature adult. As a result, over 110,000 members, with thousands more joining every month, we now have the population and growth rate of a good-sized city, and that rate of growth is constantly increasing.

To use an allegory, think of a lemonade stand.

At one point in time, ATS was a small street-corner lemonade stand that just sold one thing: lemonade. The lemonade was good, people liked it, and word spread, but some people wanted more than just lemonade. So they started offering orange punch, then grape soda, then bottled water, and so on, and with each additional flavor of beverage added, more and more customers would show up each day. Finally, they had to open up another lemonade stand across the street (BTS), just to handle all the traffic, but people just kept coming, and wanting yet even more flavors, so they opened up yet another stand across the street (PTS). Business continued to grow, the lemonade stands had more card tables added, along with the need to add employees to maintain the stands and keep the flow of traffic steadily moving along peacefully.

And yet, there comes a certain point where there is so much throughput that you just can't open up another stand anymore. It's time to take the next step up, set up a permanent, legitimate business plan and establishment to accomodate all the customers in a timely, professional fashion, with room and planning for further expansion as needs dictate. If our standards were ever anything lower than that, ATS would not be the runaway success it is today.

It is, therefore, because of those standards, and because of our commitment to them, that the ATS lemonade stand is now becoming a full-fledged juice bar.

[edit on 7/26/2007 by thelibra]

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
Obviously, any time you get involved with corporations, there are going to be limits to what can be said and done.

First, a "corporation" has not invested in us... it's a small group of private investors who have idealistic tendencies just like us.

And, if you consider that we have attracted investment because of what topics are discussed on ATS and how it is run, then you will realize that any change to our core ideals will hurt the investment.

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
it's a small group of private investors who have idealistic tendencies just like us.

I understand now, is nice to see that is people out there that see the need to support places like ATS where freedom of speech is well preserved and encouraged.

Thanks for the reassurance, after all I am as paranoid as the best out there.

And have reasons why.

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I'm just glad you guys didn't sell us out.

But the first time I see a commercial about an ATS kids meal and SkepticOverlord looken like Ronald Mc'Donald...you all will be hunted for sport

Congrats though, hopefully corporate influence won't degrade this site or cheapen it in any way.

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Just wanted to congratulate you guys, keep up the good work !

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by UNnoticed
But the first time I see a commercial about an ATS...

Speaking of commercial...

We will be running radio advertising soon. We've completed production on four 30-second spots and one 60-second spot.

I'll give 50,000 ATS points to the first member that identifies our radio ad (describe the ad) and on which station/show it played.

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I must be slow... Can someone explain in layman's terms, what this means?

the completion of first-round equity capitalization.

Then I'll be happy, too!

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 10:45 AM
link   
To the well-deserving team of founders, moderators, and members alike, I offer sincere, heart-felt CONGRATULATIONS! for a continuous job well done!

There is no question that ATS is the "Best of the Best", and is the forum model that others will (alas, not as successfully) forever attempt to emulate.

"Cheers!"

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 10:47 AM
link   
i;d like to echo the sentiments of the others here when i say congrats...this has been a long time coming for you guys, and its great to see the site grow from very humble beginnings to what we have today.

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

First round = hasn't been done before

Capitalization = $$$

Equity = ownership interest

So for the first time, ATS has raised some money via private investors who now have an ownership stake.

I think.

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

It means they sold stock in the company.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join