It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran to buy SU-30MK

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlackWidow23
If what you say is true, the F-35 is an even WORSE choice.........

...This is something the F-35 is JUST NOT DESIGNED TO DO. It doesn’t have the F-16s roll rate, or turn radius, and it cant compete with one in a dogfight. The Israelis are going to be given hell by the SU-30, because agility is what the SUs are KNOWN for. -

Agreed, indeed the SU-30 would ironically be a better choice for them. Indeed IAI has designed many systems for it which are used by the Indians.

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Not really, but would you rather like to hang by your brass ones throughout your life?.

Originally posted by WestPoint23

Originally posted by jensy
Not only do they carry world ratio records but also have more active combat experience on the F-15 and F-16 than the USA even.

No they do not, although they are highly trained and experienced they do not have nearly as much operational and combat experience as the US with those systems.

I actually meant that they achieved kills on both platforms before the US. The Debut of the F-15 being by "IAF ace Moshe Melnik in 1979", and that of the F-16 being the operation to destroy the Iraqi nuclear threat.
Therefore in time terms they have had 28 and 26 years combat service on the F-15 and F-16 respectively which indeed is more than the US.

Originally posted by RichardPrice
The HMS Sheffield was hit by British WW2 surplus bombs sold by the UK dropped by US reconditioned A-6 aircraft sold by the US.
So why highlight the French here?...............

...........And anyway, there’s a world of difference between arms dealers selling technology they legitimately have a right to sell and a country selling technology that they had no right to sell under agreement.

The Sheffield was hit by an Exocet fired by Super Étendards (neither are WW2 era weapons).
news.bbc.co.uk...
My point is that there are many cases of countries supplying each other with equipment and tech gleaned for others and in some cases hostile countries.

Originally posted by bodrul
its bodrul not Bodril

I’m Terribly sorry.

Jensy

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by jensy
I actually meant that they achieved kills on both platforms before the US.
Therefore in time terms they have had 28 and 26 years combat service on the F-15 and F-16 respectively which indeed is more than the US.

Same benchmark, same term. "Combat service" and "operational history" are indeed one in the same. An aircraft is combat ready when it enters a fully operational combat squadron. Seeing as how the USAF operated both types in combat squadrons before the IAF they therefore have more combat and operational experience, both in terms of service length, scale of deployment and combat missions. What you can say however is that the IAF was the first to engage in combat with either system.

[edit on 7-8-2007 by WestPoint23]

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Fair enough. I think you get what I mean though.?

Jensy

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 02:21 AM
link   
It is rather ironic that the A-4`s (ex-usn) launched from Rio Grande but actually stationed on the ARA Veinticinco de Mayo (ex-RN aircraft carrier Venerable)

as a small aside (re falklands) did you know that only bad weather stopped the very firs carrier v carrier engagement since WW2? S-2`s located the British force and the Veinticinco de Mayo was in a position to attack them.

Belgrano was sunk the next day which forced the ARA carrier home

[edit on 7/8/07 by Harlequin]

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 08:32 AM
link   
In related news:

english.people.com.cn...

Iran has started industrial manufacture of its new home-made fighter jet, "Azarakhsh" (Lightning), local Fars news agency reported on Monday.

The fighter jet, "Azarakhsh", was said to be "comparable" to the U.S. F-5 fighter jet, Fars reported.

Azarakhsh is Iran's second homegrown fighter jet after Sa'egheh (Thunder), which has been described as a parallel to the U.S. F-18 fighter jet.

Quite why you'd start producing a comparable machine to the F-5 after making one allegedly comparable to the F-18 would make you wonder about the accuracy of the claims...

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 10:12 AM
link   
It is even stranger if you are looking to purchase 250 far more capable machines, assuming an a2a role. Whatever happened to the IAMI Shafaq?

Jensy

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join