It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant Underwater Lost City 'Could Rewrite History'

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 01:53 AM
link   
I would suggest people read the following book by Graham Hancock,UNDERWORLD; he has covered this area of submerged cities quite extensively.

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 03:02 AM
link   
I saw this and got very excited, If this was really true it would be a chance to throw the history books and many religous texts out the window.

It is believed that the area was submerged as ice caps melted at the end of the last ice age 9-10,000 years ago

Ice caps also melting slowly (attributed to global warming* - yeah right!!), this sounds familiar . oh wait the ice caps are melting now and everywhere is flooding. and natural catastophe's are on the rise.

flood stories get more credence, planet X approaching? or maybe just a natural cycle of the planet every 3.5k years or so. remeber folks this planet is 2/3rds water. and may totally flood naturally on numerous occasions over the History of the planet.

I have been convinced for a while that its time to buy a raft and get the supplies in, Lets hope this time we are sufficiently advanced to weather the oncomming storms.

Are we just lucky this time ? or did some alien race take pity on the fact that we keep getting wiped out and give us tech to allow is to advance more rapidly than usual, or maybe even by accident (rosewell).

Didn't i read a book once stating the sphinx is 200o years older than the pyramids and the creatures that built it used to live underwater ?

to many coincedences, stories from throughout history about floods for my liking .

However as this news story is 5 years old the WoW bubble Pops for me. .. coz if it really was wow why havnt we heard anything else official? probably just 5 years of underwater cities specualtion most links put up here about the city's could be done by my 5 year old with a free website.

either that or they (governments) know but just would not tell the masses to avoid mass panic.

[edit on 26-7-2007 by Quantum_Squirrel]

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Several years ago there was a prog on UK TV all about unexplained places.

The strange underwater formations off the coast of Japan was shown as was this one off the coast of India. One of the strange things was that it wast really all that deep.

Maybe a chase up on Google might find details of the original programme

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 04:29 AM
link   
Very cool find, but as it is 5 years old, not a major news flash. I think the idea of finding Atlantis, or what we imagine Atlantis to be, fascinates people. My take is that ,underwater or not, we've had several Dark Ages where great knowledge has been lost and we've had to sort of start over.
Who knows exactly what we knew at other points in time. It's quite possible we lost a lot of technology. It's also quite possible that with our reliance on electricity and computers that Electro Magnetic Pulse weapons will put us into another Dark Age! How "out of date" do you figure our libraries are?

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Evasius
The story according to the BBC webpage you've linked to is from Saturday, 19 January, 2002. Not sure why we never heard anything else about this in the past 5 years.

Maybe they found something vastly important & ground-breaking that it needed to be covered up.

Yup confirmed this link :

www.hvk.org...

is basically the same story from the year January 2002! Old news guys!

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 06:21 AM
link   
What ancient citites are told to be in that area? Mu?

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Nice find

Possible reason why one of the world's oldest religions originated from that area?

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 07:18 AM
link   
The bit from the British Museum archeologist made me laugh. You could almost see him (and the rest of his mainstream pals) putting the archeological shutters up...

[edit on 26-7-2007 by Dagar]

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 07:26 AM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

Over 2000 "artifacts" have been retrieved from the bottom of the gulf. "Artifacts" resembling tools, human remains, pottery, jewels, even literature have all been recovered. Large blocks were discovered that could have been possible foundations for the twin-metropolis' that are said to exist in the Gulf. Such a city would not be impossible, but it would mean the discovery of the oldest civilization in the world, disproving the original theory that modern civilization originated in Mesopotamia (Modern Day Iraq).

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by duster
I have been trying to find other info on the subject and would appreciate any new links. I just can't help but believe that it is man made.

This is the website of the institute researching this mysterious place: www.morien-institute.org...

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Esoterica
I think it should be pointed out that the actual article linked to is 5 years old. The study of the site is still ongoing, though.

I was just going to state the same thing. I had remembered seeing something printed about this when I started reading the thread. The article was from 2002.

How have they come up with the date? Carbon dating? I'll see if I can find out. Great topic!

2PacSade-

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 08:54 AM
link   
I found a 10 minute video documentary about Dvaraka here:

www.disclose.tv...

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Actually the part about Dvaraka starts from 2:15 minutes in the video...

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I think that although this particular story seems to be 5 yrs old I nonetheless think that's it's an incredible find.

Further, I think that over the years many ancient discoveries have been made with no further update to the actual concrete date of these cities. I think that if this were to become mainstream news that it would literally turn our belief system on it's head and that our gov's cannot allow that.

Say for example that this civilization were indeed over 9000 yrs old much older than we previously admit to existance of people or cities. As Grahman Hitchcock (sp) said it would literally cause a rewrite to everything we have been taught to accept as fact.

I don't think it would be allowed. It would leave too many questions that nobody can answer.

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 09:33 AM
link   
It stands to reason that during the Last Ice age, when sea levels were lower, that mankind would form communities close to the shore, even as we do today. I am sure there are many such sites however depending on their building methods, there might not be much left of them, with the sea life reclaiming any organic materials. I would guess there would be settlements all along the lower coastline of an Ice age world. Probably major cities along the delta areas of those lower sea levels but covered with many many feet of sediment. I wonder how much sediment a major river could put out in 9,000 years?

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 09:34 AM
link   
In addition to the story being 5 years old, much of it was fabricated. As the "Bad Archaeology" blog says...

A tell-tale warning sign is the lack of any scientific publication, and that the 'artifacts' in question have not been made available to outside investigators. We are simply told that scientific investigation confirmed their authenticity. The fact that the principle investigator is a geologist, not an archaeologist, also triggers alarm bells.

badarchaeology.blogspot.com...

Joshi (the minister who announced this) is a controversial political figure, who tends to rewrite facts in order to prove that India was the home of all civilization advances. Dissatisfied with India's place in the modern world, he works to bring back old and outmoded folk traditions and turn them into sciences.
www.physics.princeton.edu...

When scientists actually got their hands on these artifacts and studied them, the results were not what Joshi had anounced:
www.telegraphindia.com...

The artifacts that are on the site come from a much younger city (dated to 2280 BC. The site is frequently hit by tsunamis and one that took place at that time did indeed destroy a thriving city.
varnam.org...

The NIOT (which was mentioned in the BBC article then resurveyed the site and agreed with the findings mentioned above... that the site is actually much younger and that a lot of earthquakes in the area created tsunamis that washed away the city and subsequent rebuildings of it.

So...
* the site's been resurveyed by archaeologists and others since the announcement.
* Minister Joshi jumped the gun and presented his own speculations and not the findings of the scientists.
* work has continued in the area.
* the city has been identified as one that was built about the time of the early Egyptian and Sumerian civilizations.
* It's an early city, but is not THE earliest ever found.

By the way, this doesn't have anything to do with the "underwater pyramid" -- that's in Japan and a long way off.

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by DDay
Say for example that this civilization were indeed over 9000 yrs old much older than we previously admit to existance of people or cities. As Grahman Hitchcock (sp) said it would literally cause a rewrite to everything we have been taught to accept as fact.

Mr. Hancock seems to be unaware that archaeologists HAVE identified civilizations that date to 7,000 BC (9,000 years old) and a little bit earlier. He has a set of pet theories and doesn't seem interested in the other data (such as the research on Catal Huyok)
www.smm.org...

There's also American Indian sites of that age, and paleolithic towns that are even older. I notice that Hancock doesn't seem to be interested in those when he's speculating about archaeological topics.

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Just a theory, but if the earth began to flood 9,000 years ago, and civilizations started to migrate to higher land, do you think the Incan ruins at Machu Picchu might have been their last strong hold if the waters continued to rise? It would explain why a city was built at such an elevation. I didn't have time to do any research on it, so I'm sure there's info to contridict such a theory, but just an idea I thought I'd throw out there.

[edit on 26-7-2007 by tyranny22]

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 10:49 AM
link   

originally posted by tiranny22
Just a theory, but if the earth began to flood 9,000 years ago, and civilizations started to migrate to higher land, do you think the Incan ruins at Machu Picchu might have been their last strong hold if the waters continued to rise?

No way, Machu Pichu is located 8,000 feet high in the Andes Mountain Range, if the water did get the high that would have meant that damn near the whole earth would have been under water!! and so far there are no signs of that... also machu pichu is roughly 3,500 years old.

[edit on 26-7-2007 by Clandestino]

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I wasn't insinuating that the waters actually rose that high. I mean that the city might have been built in anticipation, just in case.

After all, if you moved a society 50 miles inland and you were having to move it another 50 miles inland after 500 years and again and again, eventually I'd just place the damned thing on top of a mountain and say, "Well, no where to go from here."

But, who knows. It's probably just a city that was built when an emporer said, "You know, I'd like a nice retreat up in the mountains."

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join