It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Friends Don't Let Friends Drive Drunk ... they just get run over and dragged to their death.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 01:25 PM
link   
A New York woman has pleaded Not Guilty to charges of driving while under the influence. The charges stem from last night's incident which took place after a block party she had attended.

The woman, Jesenia Vega , got in her car to leave, with her boyfriend desperately pleading that she shouldn't drive in such an intoxicated state.

What did she do? She drove off, with him lodged under the vehicle. Three blocks later, he was dead and she was being charged with driving while under the influence.

Woman Runs Over Her Own Boyfriend
Updated: 10:01, Monday July 23, 2007

A man who was trying to stop his girlfriend from drunk-driving after a party was run over by the woman's car and killed.

Accident happened in New YorkNew York police said Louis Wiederer had been holding on to the driver's side of Jesenia Vega's car when she took off and dragged him down the road.

Mr Wiederer, 26, lost his grip, fell under the vehicle and became lodged under the car - reportedly leaving a trail of "skid marks and blood" down the road.

Witnesses said the dead man had been arguing with Vega at the party to prevent her from driving.

please read the full article

I, for one, would certainly anticipate and hope that the list of charges Grows ... at the very least to include Manslaughter.

? thoughts ?

posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I think she definitely should be charged with alot more that DUI.

It's a real shame that the man, who was trying to keep the women and all the others that could have been injured safe, and he ended up being killed. Sad.

posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Maybe it's my pessimistic side...

But I think that this potential marriage was doomed from the start.

How do you get to the point where you run over four fiancee? If alcohol is a problem, why indulge? If alcohol isn't a "problem" then how can you be so reckless?

Aggravated vehicular manslaughter in my opinion... Let her "honeymoon" in the gray bar motel.

posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mirthful Me

Aggravated vehicular manslaughter in my opinion... Let her "honeymoon" in the gray bar motel.

Agreed, with the sole exception that it be an Extended honeymoon ... one that goes on for Years, lifelong ... if you will.

It's too bad the boyfriend won't be available for testimony, when this case goes to trial ... if only to provide further support of the BAC results.

Thankfully, the prosecutor and DA seem intent on Some justice being served.

www.newsday.com...

Jesenia Vega, the Carle Place woman accused of running over and killing her fiance with her car, was charged with a misdemeanor of driving while intoxicated and held on $100,000 cash/$200,000 bond bail, but the district attorney's office promised that the charges will be upgraded immediately.
The prosecutor explained what he believed were the night's course of events outside a Centereach party on Flower Lane. He said the victim, 26-year-old Louis Wiederer of Westbury, grabbed onto Vega's driver's side door in an attempt to slow her down and that she drove for a number of yards. Eventually, the victim's shoes were pulled off by the friction on the road and he was pulled underneath the car before she stopped the car. The victim was pronounced dead at the scene. Witnesses say Wiederer was trying to stop her from driving drunk.

posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 04:05 PM
link   
His heart was in the right place but as they say, no good deed goes unpunished. It's all about the keys. He should have asked for them when she was sober. I'm not saying he was wrong but have you tried to argue with a drunk person? Now he's dead and she's going up the river. Deservedly so.

posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 04:21 PM
link   
The real question in hindsight...

Is how far can you go to prevent someone from driving drunk? Can you wrestle them to the ground? haul off and pop them in the mouth? What is "justifiable" in the face of a possible lethal accident? Should there be a "shield" for "good samaritans" that intervene?

How far would you go?

posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mirthful Me
The real question in hindsight...

Is how far can you go to prevent someone from driving drunk? Can you wrestle them to the ground? haul off and pop them in the mouth? What is "justifiable" in the face of a possible lethal accident? Should there be a "shield" for "good samaritans" that intervene?

Good question and yes, there should be a "good samaritan" clause. You could be saving a life with what could be considered borderline assault.

How far would you go?

As far as necessary. The term "adequate force" comes to mind. That fails, call the cops. The life you save may be the one you love.

posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
His heart was in the right place ...

Which intersection might that be? 'trep. Sorry, but the open door screamed for entry.

but as they say, no good deed goes unpunished. It's all about the keys. He should have asked for them when she was sober.

Granted, there's merit to what you say ... but How is one to determine that the Need for such May arise?

Uhm ... you wanna go to the block party tonight?
Sure ... it'll be fun.
Okay, but will I need to take your keys for safety's sake?
???

Not exactly the "typical" conversation ... 'cept in hindsight considerations. (?)

While it may seem little more than an unfortunate and sad "happenstance", hopefully regretted by the perpetrator, I feel that Any "death by drunk" should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law ... especially in cases such as these. (?)

Head-on at highway speed is one thing, but being dragged to your death, after having pleaded and protested the options is quite the different ballgame ... one that Louis Wiederer won't be a participant thereof.

? thoughts ?

posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 04:32 PM
link   
If she has a soul she will be punished the rest of her life with the memory.
However she needs to do it in a jell cell.
Just another tragic dui story, do you think that would have happen if she was smoking pot? O but pot is illegal and alchohol isnt, how insane is that?

posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Let me just say this didn't happen in the city as the Sky report says, it happened on Long Island (pronounced: Lawwwng Eyyyyye-land). Things like this aren't so rare there...

posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12m8keall2c

His heart was in the right place ...

Which intersection might that be? 'trep. Sorry, but the open door screamed for entry.

I know, I thought of it myself but just couldn't find different words to convey the message. laughter allows us to deal with bad crap.

but as they say, no good deed goes unpunished. It's all about the keys. He should have asked for them when she was sober.

Granted, there's merit to what you say ... but How is one to determine that the Need for such May arise?

There's a saying, the 6 P's, "Previous planning prevents piss poor performance."

It's not hard to do. Designated driver. Cabs. Sleep over. Hell, I bet if you called the cops and told them you didn't have a way home, if they weren't busy, they'd drive you themselves. There are cities here in Canada that actually have this program in place for New Years.

It's about saving lives.

posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Let me just say this didn't happen in the city as the Sky report says, it happened on Long Island (pronounced: Lawwwng Eyyyyye-land).

Does it really matter Where, djohnsto? Is that but an attempt to "distance" one's self from such? ... something that would seem All too common within these United States, lately. no?

... not in my backyard ring a bell?

Honestly ... the apparent root that such dismissive desensitization has taken would seem quite obvious ... perpetual, if you will ... alive, well, and constantly changing [adapting]. The blossom of which may very well prove the demise of "life as we know it" ... civil, that is.

Personally, I see the seeming "non-issue" coverage of, and or interest in, this incident as little more than a demonstration of the rather obvious complacent desensitization that I've alluded to.

to hell in a handbasket would seem a rather accurate and descriptive means by which to measure the past few decades ... in a Societal manner, mind you. (?)

posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 05:09 PM
link   

... not in my backyard ring a bell?

No.

I just don't like giving up any opportunity to blame something on either New Jersey or Long Island.

posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 05:16 PM
link   

[I know, I thought of it myself but just couldn't find different words to convey the message. laughter allows us to deal with bad crap.

Your heart means more than your words. Thanks ... and Yes it does.

There's a saying, the 6 P's, "Previous planning prevents piss poor performance."

Here, we call 'em the 5 P's.
Prior Planning Prevents Piss-poor Performance.

Same concept, thought, and ideal ... though.

I guess That it's "accepted" as just another happenstance is what bothers me the most. (?) While there have been and are far worse examples, it just seems that we're losing touch with Humanity .. thereby becoming more militant and reactionary*
* an entirely different thread, mind you.

[edit: bbcode]

[edit on 23-7-2007 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 05:18 PM
link   

He said the victim, 26-year-old Louis Wiederer of Westbury, grabbed onto Vega's driver's side door in an attempt to slow her down and that she drove for a number of yards. Eventually, the victim's shoes were pulled off by the friction on the road and he was pulled underneath the car before she stopped the car.

www.newsday.com

This is the part I'm not sure I understand fully.

Sure, she was drunk, but did this guy think that he could slow down a car by holding on to the door and dragging his feet?

She will probably be charged with aggravated vehicular homicide, but his role in the accident can hardly be ignored.

posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 05:23 PM
link   

I guess That it's "accepted" as just another happenstance is what bothers me the most. (?) While there have been and are far worse examples, it just seems that we're losing touch with Humanity .. thereby becoming more militant and reactionary

I understand where you're coming from and it is a sad story, but I don't really understand what can be done. As long as cars are made and intoxicating substances are to be had things like this will inevitably happen from time to time.

I don't understand what we could do societally to change that harsh reality.

[edit on 7/23/2007 by djohnsto77]

posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 06:38 PM
link   
How far would I go?

I believe that any man is completely justified in taking any means necessary, without inflicting serious bodily harm, to take the keys from any other man. If he needs to wrestle him to the ground, so be it. If he has to go as far as punching the guy, so be it. A man is not justified in physically striking a woman in order to obtain the keys, but they are justified in preventing them from getting behind the wheel in the least physical and intrusive manner.

If I had a friend who tried to drink and drive, I would gladly lay them out, rather than watching them drive off. I would gladly sacrifice my friendship with that person, if it meant saving their life, or the life of an innocent bystander.

If I can not get the keys from them, for whatever reason, flatten the tires. If your in a struggle with them, have someone call the cops and hope to delay them.

Yes, these tragedies are inevitable and as long as vehicles exist and alcohol is distributed, they will occur. But I firmly believe that those that bare witness to these tragedies can take the initiative and do their best to prevent it. Bar owners, friends, family, etc., can all be a little more aware, and hopefully save a life.

What can we do to prevent this?

Anyone charged with a DUI should be forced to install some sort of breathalyser in their vehicle, where their vehicle will not start until their alcohol content can be verified. These are not perfect, and hardly fool proof, but it is something. If it can be proven that a friend blew into the machine for an intoxicated friend, in order to start the vehicle, they should be held accountable as well. An accessory before the fact would fit real nicely here.

In my honest opinion, a drunk driver is no better than a rapist. If your ass is that reckless, put the bottle down.

[edit on 23-7-2007 by chissler]

posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 07:09 PM
link   
djohnsto,

It's not so much the incident itself, but more the seeming "non-chalant" manner in which it's being perceived/made known.

Call it conditioning or call it societal evolution ... I call it foul. We're becoming way too acceptant with regards to "day-to-day" violence and or aggressive behavior within our Society ... especially with regards to the value of human life ... of which the going street corner price would seem quite cheap.

? thoughts ?

Grady,

His "role" was that of what? ... a friend? boy-style. (?) ... as such, it would seem he did what He felt right at the time. no? ... only to be ...

It's not so much the alcohol-vehicle incident rate, but more the overall desensitized response to rather horrific situations that would seem to be stretching it's arms as of late.

What "surprised" you 5-7 years ago?

What surprises you today?

Quite the difference, huh?

posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 07:22 PM
link   
In the end, I still view this as an accident. Yes, there are aggravating circumstances such as being drunk and her boyfriend trying to stop her, but in the end, I really don't believe there was true evil in her heart at that moment... she was just out of it. It was an accident, a very preventable one for which she has plenty of blame for through negligence, but still an accident.

In the world today, there are far worse crimes committed on a daily basis. Crimes that come from the deepest, darkest evil that can exist in mankind. People killing and torturing others, children as well as animals wantonly just for their own depraved pleasure.

In light of that reality, it's no wonder that it's easy to become jaded to incidents like this that seem to be caused just by pure negligence.

[edit on 7/23/2007 by djohnsto77]

posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 07:22 PM
link   

It's not so much the alcohol-vehicle incident rate, but more the overall desensitized response to rather horrific situations that would seem to be stretching it's arms as of late.

I see what your saying here, but before reading it, I never really noticed this prevalent desensitization of society towards this behaviour. I am far from desensitized to it, and I guess I can not see past the end of my own nose when I hear of this, and basically assume that everyone else shares my anger and frustration. When I hear of a drunk driving related fatality, my only hope is that they went off the road and only hit a pole. Not another vehicle, innocent bystander, etc.

We've only got one life, and I for one cherish every moment of it. To think of losing my life because some drunken bastard didn't know their limit... boils my blood to say the least.

I can not imagine the suffering one would go through to lose a loved one in this manner.

If the stigma I carry for this, could generalize to society, maybe we would be less inclined to jump behind the wheel.

We want sexual predators to identify themselves on the sidewalk by wearing some sort of emblem on their clothing, why not put something on the car of a drunk driver? I'm strongly opposed to both ideas, but why do we hear one without the other?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join