It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

60-acre spider web baffles biologists

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2002 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Millions of tiny spiders spin mystery in a B.C. clover field

Click Here For The Story

Photo's of the Web

[Edited on 3-8-2004 by William One Sac]

posted on Nov, 30 2002 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Brrrrr..... I hate spiders !!! I don't want to go there !!!

posted on Nov, 30 2002 @ 06:44 PM
link   
NUKE IT!!! NUKE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Nov, 30 2002 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by necro99

I agree!

posted on Nov, 30 2002 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Nah, a flamethrower would work better...Besides, I've heard of studies that show spiders are highly resistant to radiation poisoning. With a flamethrower, the webs burn away, the spiders die & leftover ashes will help fertilize the next year's crops.

In truth, the only spiders that frighten me are the specific species that are known dangers to humans...If I've heard right, the common "Daddy Long-Legs" species has the most potent form of spider venom known, but they're still harmless to humans. The vast majority of species won't even *try* to bite a human anyway.

posted on Nov, 30 2002 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Yeah Md the DD is the most venemous but its mouth is too small to actually pierce human skin, so actually the most venemous spider to humans is the brown recluse.

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Dead link and no real comments of value.
Just cleaning house a bit.

Bummer. I wanted to see that web...

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by necro99

wtf youre twisted you dont #ing nuke a goddam spider web youd blow away most of my home province you dip#.

use a flamethrower instead

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 04:30 PM
link   
It said in the story that the wind and elements has, made it go bye bye.

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 04:36 PM
link   
No nukes please
, I live like 2 hours from there!

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Welcome to Kingdom of the SPiders.

That's a crazy story.. would be amazing to see. Such a vast amount covered in web... ick

Regarding the daddylong legs, I don't think it's true.

Check this link out: spiders.ucr.edu...

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by parrhesia
Regarding the daddylong legs, I don't think it's true.

Check this link out: spiders.ucr.edu...

I have seen animal shows about this. The shows say its true. I dont know what to believe. Not some PBS show, A real animal planet show. Can that many people be disinformed? Oh Wait... God...Noah..... The Moon landing.... 9/11..... Iraq........... I guess It could happen.

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 04:54 PM
link   
"wtf youre twisted you dont [V] nuke a goddam spider web youd blow away most of my home province you (c).
"

LOL! That's great, its too bad that that is really what some people WOULD say, at least on here with all this political tension and crap...

-wD

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra

I have seen animal shows about this. The shows say its true. I dont know what to believe. Not some PBS show, A real animal planet show. Can that many people be disinformed? Oh Wait... God...Noah..... The Moon landing.... 9/11..... Iraq........... I guess It could happen.

hehe, not like it really matters. But I always remembered people saying that, and I've never believed it. Doesn't matter either way, right? No one is going to get bitten and be subject to the venom!

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Now, if we could entice that many spiders to make that much spider silk, continuously, we would finally have a way to mass produce the stuff (although it would specifically have to be dragline silk - spiders make many different types of silk)!

The silk can be extended 30 to 50 percent of its length before it breaks. It is stronger than steel and comparable in strength to Kevlar, the artificial fabric used in bulletproof vests.

www.instadv.ucsb.edu...

Now, what spider has the most dangerous poison?

The most poisonous spider in the world is a difficult question to answer, because there are actually about a dozen very poisonous spiders in the world, all of which have caused human deaths. But perhaps the Black Widow Spider (Lactrodectus mactans) of North America is the most well known of the deadly spiders. The funnel-web spider of Australia is the spider with the most dangerous poison. According to the Guinness Book of Animal Records by Mark Carwardine, the world�s most venomous spiders are the Brazilian wandering spiders of the genus Phoneutria. In particular, the Brazilian Huntsman is widely believed to have the most active neurotoxic venom of any living spider. Its venom is so potent that only 0.006mg (0.00000021oz) is sufficient to kill a mouse.

www.sciencenet.org.uk...

Spiders fascinate me. Although, I don't like to be particularly close to them.
I won't harm them unless they are invading my "zone."

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightDStroyer
Nah, a flamethrower would work better...Besides, I've heard of studies that show spiders are highly resistant to radiation poisoning. With a flamethrower, the webs burn away, the spiders die & leftover ashes will help fertilize the next year's crops.

In truth, the only spiders that frighten me are the specific species that are known dangers to humans...If I've heard right, the common "Daddy Long-Legs" species has the most potent form of spider venom known, but they're still harmless to humans. The vast majority of species won't even *try* to bite a human anyway.

daddy long legs has no venom at all, they are harmless. brown recluse spiders are the one's to worry about, i have eight inch scar around my ankle as something to make me remember, i have only seen one black widow in my life (34) but i have seen a ton of brown recluses.

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I have a bunch of daddy long legs around my house and i just leave them alone. i didn't know they were venomous! and whats this brown recluse spider? does it look similar, because these spiders in my house are brown too

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 07:04 PM
link   
daddy long lags are venamouse and can bite you, but they have soo little that its only like a bee sting.

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 07:19 PM
link   
the local chamber of commerce prolly went out and bought a couple millio spider eggs and let them loose in the field

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 07:40 PM
link   
And as you pan across the web, you see William Shatner cocooned in the middle...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join