It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

60-acre spider web baffles biologists

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 07:54 PM
link   
spiders are facinating they are a great hunter and are really intelegent (for an insect)
u say its stronger than steel man imagine that for ur car huh
would be a handy rope

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Personally, I think it's incredible! Millions of tiny spiders created a web 60 acres long! I would love to know what inspired them to do it. One of my favorite theories, posed to the biologist studying the case, is "maybe it was an effort collectively by these spiders to try and catch a sheep."

No matter how much spiders may creep you out, they are still amazing creatures, and some of the webs they create are absolutely beautiful.

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Mythbusters - Discovery channel

Proved that the bite of a daddy longleg is not deadly. In fact one of them got bit by one. After the initial bite reaction, that was it.

Fearful spider list:
Brazilian Wandering Spider
Australian Funnel Web Spider
Brown Recluse
Black Widow

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by William One Sac
Millions of tiny spiders spin mystery in a B.C. clover field

Click Here For The Story

Photo's of the Web

[Edited on 3-8-2004 by William One Sac]

This is a great find wos I wonder if one of the spider goats we saw last year layed some eggs what do you think
Still that very large web they almost look like Black widows.

Falcon

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by crayon
Mythbusters - Discovery channel

Proved that the bite of a daddy longleg is not deadly. In fact one of them got bit by one. After the initial bite reaction, that was it.

Fearful spider list:
Brazilian Wandering Spider
Australian Funnel Web Spider
Brown Recluse
Black Widow

ya thats were i got my info from, what a great tv show it is
fun and you learn stuff at the same time..

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 11:22 PM
link   
I�m pretty sure that the poison from the daddy longleg is one of the most potent. But we don�t need to worry about it because they can�t penetrate our skin.

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 11:37 PM
link   
i geuss you dint read all the thread.

they can bite us thro our skin and there poisen isnt has powerfull as a blackwido its=to a bee sting

( i dont intend to sound mean)

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dmsoldier
i geuss you dint read all the thread.

they can bite us thro our skin and there poisen isnt has powerfull as a blackwido its=to a bee sting

( i dont intend to sound mean)

I�m shocked; when I was a kid we would catch them and play around with it, thinking they couldn�t bite us.

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 11:47 PM
link   
*shiver* that is a creepy story. But, facinating too.

Why take a blow torch to the spiders, or 'nuke them?

Leave them alone. They were just doing there own thing.

BTW-what took everyone so da*n long to NOTICE this web? I mean it did NOT happen overnight.

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Talk about spider infestations
60 acres worth. I wonder how fast it took them to cover the area. Maybe instead of sheep they were catching small rodents. I wonder if any skeletal remains are in the area.

I remember some rather large strange spiders when I lived in North Carolina built what I thought was extremely large webs. One spider built a web spanning about 20 to 30 feet across between two trees and about 12 feet high. Another spider across the yard built a similiar extremely large web. I swear I actually bumped up against one strand of this spider silk and heard a twing sort of sound. I believe these spiders were catching some very large insects.

Even though I thought they were really cool, my father got nervous that they would seriously injure someone and killed one with a baseball bat. (really big spiders) I've gotten a few really bad spider bites before but I agree that most will try to stay out of the way and not bite.

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Wonderful, i should never have watched 8 legged freaks the other nite and these babies are in my general location ~ wonder what posessed them to create such a fantastic piece of artwork. Could it be that the crop circles have something to do with it? hmmmm

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 02:24 AM
link   
I hate spiders, but I usually try to catch them when they get in my house. If I can't catch them right away because their to fast I kill them because I couldn't sleep otherwise.

I think it was just caused by perfect conditions that resulted in a good crop of spiders. Depending on conditions some years I get 10 peachs off my peach tree other years I get over 100.

For those that didn't check this
link this has the CBC story.

Originally posted by ladyspiritguide

BTW-what took everyone so da*n long to NOTICE this web? I mean it did NOT happen overnight.

Likely it did happen almost overnight with each spider making thier little web.

[Edited on 8-4-2004 by outsider]

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 02:43 AM
link   
hey guys and girls... welcome to spider city

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by necro99
NUKE IT!!! NUKE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Daddy long legs arnt poisonous. Just watch Mythbusters on discovery. I think it was on the same episode as when they trained goldfish to go through a maze.

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 12:38 PM
link   
there was a show on the discovery channel about spiders advancing and living like a colany like ants (spiders are very much more smarter then other insects)

and it looks like it happend..

posted on Apr, 10 2004 @ 07:14 AM
link   
here's info for the fiddleback or brown recluse or as i like to refer to them, the damn spider who leaves a painful large bite that takes forever to heal. www.bulkmsm.com...

posted on Apr, 10 2004 @ 08:32 AM
link   
My Mum grew up on a farm and when she was a kid she remembers them waking up to find a couple of acres all webbed up; but 60?

As for the Daddy long legs thing, don't know about in America, but in England they're harmless. i.e- they don't give a damn about humans, they just float around with their long thin legs and annoy you when you can't get them outside. Oh and someone was asking if the brown spiders are poisonous in their house...depends where you live, again, in the UK they're just common house spiders.

And why would you want to torch it? That's just mean! It's a creation of nature, it shouldn't be destroyed, it's like arson.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join