It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pope Says, "Christian Churches not real Churches."

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Karilla[

This brings me to a question which I hope is not too far off topic: What is the difference between the status of Jesus, as son of God, as opposed to the rest of us, who are also his children? The fact that there is a distinction (the whole question seems to be of.. um... genetic fatherhood) is one of the things that stood out as strange from being a five year old boy at Uppingham C of E (Church of England) primary school and sitting in assembly. How does official dogma deal with this?

I think we're all the children of God. Jesus was human like us, but he was closer to God than anyone else, before or after, and so we honor him with the title of Son of God. That's my thinking on the subject with a little nod to Mary Baker Eddy. The Orthodox churches (Greek, Russian, etc.) teach that Jesus was "partly human and partly divine." That is close but not exactly the way I stated it. I studied Russian Orthodoxy for a while, though I don't have a religion now. The Orthodox believe they are the original Catholics("catholic" meaning "universal")because they are older than the Roman church. They have a pope but don't consider him infallible--he's just a leader. I notice that the Roman Catholic Pope has called the Orthodox church flawed, so I guess they're in that great company who are not going to heaven.

[edit on 18-11-2007 by Sestias]

[edit on 18-11-2007 by Sestias]

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Ladies and Gentlemen,
Christianity is a following of Jesus Christ.Hince "CHRIST"ianity.God made man.Man made religion.God sees no denominations.He did not make any.There are several denominations of religion in this world.I have had several talks with Catholics and still have no answer to my question.Why do the priest use the title "Father" so and so?God is the only TRUE father.A priest can NOT forgive you for your sin.Only God can do that.Please don't get the wrong idea.I am not bashing Catholics for their religion.I don't do that to anyone.My inquiring mind about many things would like to know why they have a statue of the Virgin Mary in the "Church" when Jesus Christ is the ONLY way to the Father.We are to worship God and follow Jesus Christ and live our lives the best way we can.Going to a building on Saturday or Sunday does not make you a christian.What we have to realize is that God put us here for us to pray (talk) to him through Jesus and to worship him.I am a follower of Jesus Christ.If you want to call me a christian that's fine.My only thought is how can anybody be an athiest?Everybody believes in something.Most everybody believes they will die someday.An athiest does not believe in anything at all.The main thing is...whatever a person believes in is that we all are either going to Heaven or Hell.God said it so I believe it.The Bible is the inspired word of God.He himself inspired the writers to write down what was put into it.As far as the Trinity debate.....people have their own thoughts but the Bible says that God lives in 3 persons 1) The Father 2) The Son 3) The Holy Spirit.As for me......I will continue to believe in God and all he is.Somebody asked me 1 day that if the time came when christians today were persecuted and put to death for not reforming to another "religion" would I reform or die.I told them that Jesus loved me enough to die for me so I will show my love and belief in Him and die for Him.Jesus said..."Those who deny me before men,I will deny before my Father".I would not want that.I believe in Jesus,God.and the Holy Spirit that dwells within me.This is not a religion bashing post,just a post from a child of God.

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by AnAbsoluteCreation

Yeah, he is the original from St. Peter.

(The first, don't look for a second... you know how that prophesy goes, or
is that just privy to Catholics.)

Like Thomas' English Muffins, the rest of Christianity are just clones.

It doesn't make them bad people... only when he make statements like that.
We all know better.

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by totallyhuman

Judo-Christian God made religion... quite different than others.

Made to show us the Lords concern for us humans.

So can we bash other religions. No.
You see here is the problem... religious intolerance was on the side of
non believers. Christians did nothing to have Romans against them.

Christians should relate their beliefs when asked and not force it
on people like JFK trying to get rid of the immoral CIA.

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Its about time all major religions gave up their animosity for each other. No one religion is exclusively 'right' just learn to get along.

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 08:35 AM
link   

This is a good move on the pope's part. Nobody likes an authority figure with visible self-doubt. The flock doesn't come into the store to purchase doubt, they had doubt outside on the sidewalk before they entered the store, and if they like the taste of doubt they can make it for themselves at home using ordinary kitchen supplies. The guru is doing the disciples a favor, and the stupider his precepts sound intellectually the better they must taste emotionally. This is why Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh deserved all those Rolls-Royces and also why he received them.

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 11:36 PM
link   
there are many things wrong with the church on many levels. But theres one thing i can't dust off my shoulder. The bible is composed of many books but why were the other books originally in the bible Taken Out? why? especially when God said that those who alter his words will be punished. What interpretations in those stories are so powerful, so foward with truth, that they had to be taken away and literally stripped from the pages of History, the World and the human psyche? Who did these stories offend? and how? so many questions.

of course it was the church, not only are they molding the teachings of the bible in their own favor, but they leave millions preaching a partial "truth" without consideration, or steady thoughtful judgement.

Where can i find a FULL Version of the Bible, the way it was meant to be read.

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Well, it seems like religion is getting to crazy now. Thats why I am not a religion at all. I'm afraid here soon something terrible will happen because of things like this.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by win 52
I could tell my story, but you summed it up so nicely, I will say "Amen".

you say "amen" i say bless you

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 12:08 PM
link   
There is a lot of validity to what most of you are saying, and the Catholic Church represents church dogma more than the New Testament, not many of the true word of Christ's teachings. What gets me with the Pope's statement is that it results in a common saying: Why point out the splinter in someone's eye when you have a log jam in your own?

It is written that the path of Christ is very narrow and not well traveled, but most people take a detour to the wide path, even many church leaders do, some without knowing it. It is up to each individual to study the Bible and what it really teaches us, and don't take any church leader or dogma interpretation with a grain of salt. Do your own study and it would help to know ancient Hebrew because much of the New Testament has been lost in translation for the original words and some meanings---like not many people don't know that "Jesus" isn't His real name. His real name is Yeshua. יֵשׁוּעַ
The name given to Christ, Yeshua, has been mistranslated.
The Roman Catholic Church interprets one of the ten commandments as "thou salt not kill", while ancient Hebrew says "thou shalt not murder". Roman Catholic Church leaves out the commandment about the worship of Idols when it is clearly written in ancient Hebrew text as an important part of the 10 commandments. Every "religion" has it's own version of translation, some of them leave out important words and passages. It is up to you to use older Bibles and original translations from the Aramaic and old Hebrew texts to find the truth.

If Catholics really read, understood the New Testament Bible, and accepted Christ as their Savior and His teachings as what they supposedly based their beliefs upon, they wouldn't be Roman Catholics. They would be one of the other denominations the Pope says are not real churches. This is a complete oximoron.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I think that the Catholic religion is borderline occult,as a christian were told not to worship idol's,seems the Catholic religion has a saint for everything,what I want to know who made them saints?,the churches took pay offs from organized crime saying this will help in their salvation then that heathen the pope wears a frickin hate that says god on earth,I say it's more satanic then a christian religion,plus the pope is an elected official,the whole hiarachy of the church bothers me

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Catholics have saints just like the Orthodox. Saints are early christian martyrs and or christians who according to Vox Populi have made miracles.
As for the Catholic church being a cult , it is the only church since Vatican II that officialy recognizes Islam Buddhism and Hinduism as religions that lead to "God" , it also officially recognizes freedom of religion.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnAbsoluteCreation
I agree with what you guys are saying. What I would like to know is what Catholic members think of such an unneccesary bold statement.

I was raised Catholic but left because of the Pope. That old saying that the Pope is infallible in issues of faith and morals is bs in my opinion. All one has to do to disprove that is go back to the old time Popes who sold tithes to get people into heaven.

The Pope is a human being, although I respect him as leader of the church, I do not believe that he is always right.

As for that statement I also believe it to be wrong. As a Christian I know the only requirement to get into heaven is to accept Christ. We don't get into heaven by works or deeds, but by faith. Going to church is great, but not a requirment. Church merely strengthens your faith.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by eibwen
Catholics have saints just like the Orthodox. Saints are early christian martyrs and or christians who according to Vox Populi have made miracles.

Yes, but the Catholics and Orthodox churches make a mistake here. You should not pray to saints for your needs. The Bible clearly states that Jesus is the intersessor between us and God. Why pray to a saint or Moses or whoever when you can speak directly to God thru Jesus?

Personally if I were Christ (which I am not remotely even close to!) it would hurt my feelings if my followers prayed to others instead of me.

This was the second reason I stopped being Catholic. And don't get me wrong here, I am not dogging the Catholic faith THAT much... much of it is great. My parents are great Catholics.... but it just wasn't for me.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnAbsoluteCreation

news.yahoo.com

LORENZAGO DI CADORE, Italy - Pope Benedict XVI has reasserted the universal primacy of the Roman Catholic Church, approving a document released Tuesday that says Orthodox churches were defective and that other Christian denominations were not true churches.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Well apparently they like to cherry pick the information they read out of their own religious books..

And those who passed by derided him, wagging their heads, and saying, "You who would destroy the temple and build it in three days, save yourself! If you are the Son of God, come down from the cross."

Matthew 26:61 and said, "This man stated, 'I am able to destroy the temple of God and to rebuild it in three days.'"

Matthew 27:40 and saying, "You who are going to destroy the temple and rebuild it in three days, save Yourself! If You are the Son of God, come down from the cross."

Mark 14:58 "We heard Him say, 'I will destroy this temple made with hands, and in three days I will build another made without hands.'"

Mark 15:29 Those passing by were hurling abuse at Him, wagging their heads, and saying, "Ha! You who are going to destroy the temple and rebuild it in three days,

Acts 6:14 for we have heard him say that this Nazarene, Jesus, will destroy this place and alter the customs which Moses handed down to us."

Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.

Dost thou wish me to destroy this new creation?

I really hate it when people can't read, or perhaps they attune their own ideals and concepts to the meaning of that.

"REAL" Churches.... for an organization that "is" based off of "faith" it sure touts that word often... Apparently they hold the patent on what invisible things are worth believing in, I kinda gave up the whole religious thing and decided to just listen and read things rationally, and the current societal problems point directly at the situation as a whole..

Religion isn't the biggest problem, .. it's how they control it... thru the war on drugs, because certain entheogenic drugs break you free from your regular patterned thought and vastly change your belief system, especially on the being they call God, ..

It is blatant by trials in science that they've done, that certain hallucinogenic drugs provide the same feelings, concepts, experiences that many biblical authors have had, along with modern day shaman.

Through this "choke-hold" they control thought on a whole new level, now I'm not saying everyone should be doing drugs..
In the past, shaman or certain individuals in the tribe who had a predilection towards the "spiritual" educated, healed and cared for those in their community, most recently was the Spanish Inquisition where they destroyed quite the knowledge-base.

I guess it's time for the church to stir the pot, ...

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 04:48 PM
link   
How can this be breaking news when Popes have been saying this for nigh-on two millennia?!

I'm gunna start another BN thread: The Pope's a Catholic

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by biggie smalls
Johnsky,

One does not have to believe in or join organized religion to believe in a higher power.

your opinion is valid and I completely understand where you are coming from.

I was atheist for a while due to my raising in the Catholic church. I saw how hypocritical everyone was (not just the priesthood, but the fellow parish members) and how no one behaved such as Christ did.

I know I'm quoting old material, but I felt I needed to address this fellow.

I am so glad, biggie smalls, that you realize this.

I have no problem with spiritualists. (For lack of a better term.)
Those who can conduct their religion without the church.
In fact, if religious war were ever to break out, I would call the spiritualists, and agnostics my allies. Allies of atheism.

The whole point here isn't to preach the existence or non-existence of god, it's to break away from the control medium that is the church.
(And I guarantee you, if another religious war starts, it's entirely the fault of organized religion.)

After you break away, should you chose to still believe in a god, great, if not, thats great too! You have total free will at that point, everything you believe in was devised by YOU and not preached at you by some power hungry podium dweller, and thats the only thing that matters.
If you were to want to still follow the bible/Q'ran, eh, thats you're decision. Personally I think they're so riddled with holes that nobody should use it as scripture... but it still makes for a decent moral code if you can't find something else to use at the time.

(I suggest to anyone else leaving the church, that you write down what you feel is common sense moral code, and stick to it. If your common sense doesn't tell you to treat everyone as if it were you, then maybe having free will isn't a good idea for you.)

As you stated, once you freed yourself from the church, you re-visited your belief in god, and chose to continue believing. I took the ulterior path. That seems to be the only deviance between your tale and mine. I decided that there was such a lack of evidence pointing to the existence of a god, that I believe there isn't one.
You might have seen something different. But I have not.

It's all about belief. There are no facts on the matter, so nobody is wrong in their belief.

But the whole point to belief, is YOU have to decide for yourself.

I'm glad you did.

[edit on 24-8-2008 by johnsky]

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkStormCrow
Some churches think the Catholic Church along with its Hitler Youth turned Pope are the antichrist.

Truly the best churches are the small ones that have no connecttion to the Mega church entities.

Not a christian myself but isnt there supposed to be no way into heaven except through Jesus Christ meaning you dont really need a church in the first place?

You are correct Dark Storm Crow - in fact the New Testament is very clear on this fact - and says WE are the church - that is those who believe in His Name -Yeshua/Christ - whom He has given the power to become Sons of G-d. He is the head and we are the body and we sit together with Him wherever we are...but most folk don't study the operators manual (Bible) and are easily deceived.
The whole denomination versus this or that denomination is an invention of satan and damn! It is very effective isn't it? Divide and conquer - a strategy as old as time itself...

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
Christianity has lost the way.

It is time for believers in Christ to practice the religion of Christ, not a religion about Christ.

[edit on 2007/7/10 by GradyPhilpott]

This is truth. I think what you say is the deception. I see terrible things done by those who belong to the religion about Christ, and those who are about the religion of Christ are the ones who will be persecuted.

Most people don't even understand the philosophy of Jesus much less follow it. But I sure do see many people who commit sins and think they can just "believe in Jesus" and they will be saved.

They take quotes here and there and put them out there showing what they know. But as Einstein once said, any fool can know, the point is to understand. If you don't understand the philosophy and why then you are open to manipulation.

I always thought the Catholic Church was the first beast of revelations, so I really don't listen to what the pope has to say.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Reminds me of Henry the 8th " Screw you' i'll make my own Religion.

Pope says, "E.T excists"

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21 >>

join