It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sleep walking, sleep talking, etc...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 08:44 AM
link   
I was wondering how many people in here suffer from somnambulism, which includes sleep walking, sleep talking, sitting up in your sleep and many other various activities while you are sleeping. Ever since I became an insomniac I seemed to have develop more and more strange sleeping habits. A couple of years ago I had a couple of sleep walking episodes in one month. A year ago, I kept waking up on the opposite side of the bed (I turned completely around in the bed). I often wake up to find myself sitting in my bed or sitting off the side w/ my feet on the floor like I am about to start sleep walking. I think my most frequent episodes happen when I am under a lot of stress, but I am unsure about that. Does anyone else have odd experiences like that and possible explanations behind them?

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 10:06 AM
link   
My brother is has been a sleepwalker and a sleeptalker all his life.
He always sleeps naked too. You can imagine that this is quite embarassing for him. He has no recollection concerning his nocturnal walks - but the neighbours do!
I have practical no knowledge on this subject ,however all is not lost just click on this link Parasomnias
I hope this will help you to understand why this is happening.

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I will sleepwalk on Ambien. It's not a pretty sight. Are you on Ambien? My wife says I'll get up and try to leave for work. I also got up and called my brother one night and had a sort of bizarre conversation, but I have no recollection of it at all.

I went through a short bout of it after I got out of the Army too, (apparently I once stood watch on the kitchen with a broom) so there may be a stress/life change component to it as well where you act out old roles.

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I have found myself sitting up after a dream or even if no dream and do talk in my sleep. It is very strange when out in the woods camping I guess I have conversations in my sleep. I used to sleep walk when I was little but do not think I have done it recently.

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Thanks for the link anglosaxon, and no Tom, I am not on Ambien. Actually, I am not on any sleeping medication. I was a while ago, but it didn't do much good. Actually, I think it made the insomnia worse... if that makes any sense.

Of anyone here who has slept walked, do any of you remember what you dreamed when that occurred? When it happens to me, I always dream that I'm locked in a room and can't get out (fitting, don't you think?). For some reason, though there is nothing scary about the situation, and really nothing at all to be afraid of, I am always terrified in these dreams. I've had some pretty violent dreams in my life, and they never phased me, but these scare me # less. I wonder whats up w/ that?

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Saturn
Thanks for the link anglosaxon, and no Tom, I am not on Ambien. Actually, I am not on any sleeping medication. I was a while ago, but it didn't do much good. Actually, I think it made the insomnia worse... if that makes any sense.

Of anyone here who has slept walked, do any of you remember what you dreamed when that occurred?

The best thing I found for sleepless nights. It tastes like total arse but it's fast and doesn't leave you druggy. One good squirt in a glass of water and chug. Shudder until taste fades. Actually more effective than Ambien and Lunesta for me.

But no, if I'm sleepwalking, I never remember it at all. Although apparently I will interact with you if you keep it simple.

edit: trimmed the quote

[edit on 11-7-2007 by Tom Bedlam]

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Tom Bedlam, that looks like good stuff, anything with valarian root works wonders for me. I don't remember any dreams when I used to sleepwalk.

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Somnambulism differs between adults and children because a good part of early childhood sleeping patterns are confined to Slow Wave Sleep (known as SWS for short), and as a subject gradually gets older the percentage of sleep time spent in this stage gradually decreases. During SWS it is much easier to wake a subject than if most of their sleep time is spent in REM and thus the percentage of cases of Somnambulism increases in younger children. Oftentimes the brain can become confused and instable when there is a greater overlap of sleep cycles. In other words, REM can be overlapped with SWS sleep and at this time the brain cannot decide which pattern it is conforming to, thus creating confusion and a greater chance of confusion between being awake and asleep. As someone gets older, usually after puberty, their body slowly converts over to a greater percentage REM sleep, and only during certain periods of REM is a subject in between stages enough sleepwalk, sleeptalk, or other various things. In young children the sleep cycles are still very undeveloped and they do not have the ability to regulate themselves, and this can transfer over to adulthood if the nervous system does not fully develop. There are certain predisposed medical conditions that can increase the likelihood that someone will suffer from a reoccurance of Somnambulism. In fact, common triggers for Somnambulism include stress, fatigue, anxiety, sleep apnea, Thyroid problems, and even people with Migraines are among those with a higher rate of observable traits that are more likely to be affected by this disorder.

One question for anyone suffering from this affliction…are any of you on anti-psychotic medications? There have been parallels drawn between the number of reported cases of Somnambulism and people taking medication because of psychotic episodes that can become a factor in their predisposal to have sleep disorders. Lithium, Risperidone, Olanzapine have been known to cause sleep disorders. In fact, there have been studies in which Olanzapine has been directly associated with an increase in SWS, and an increase in doses of Clozapine have been noted to cause a decrease in SWS and therefore a less likely chance that the subject would develop sleep disorders. If any of this is the case, you may want to check with your physician to see if a side-effect from your medications may be responsible. Genetics can play a key role in sleep disorders as it is known that the gene that triggers Narcolepsy called DQB1 may in fact be responsible for behavioral problems during REM where the brain cannot decide which sleep state to be in. During REM the body slowly releases a chemical called Hypocretin that is responsible for paralyzing the body during sleep, but this chemical is lacking in subjects who suffer from Narcolepsy and Insomnia. Essentially, there may be active genetic mechanisms that are causing sleep disorders rather than being environmentally induced conditions like stress. Another such study found that the genetic mechanisms responsible for the regulation of Circadian sleep may be underdeveloped and specific proteins called CKle could be responsible for irregular sleep patterns and insomnia, which are known factors that cause Somnambulism in adults.

Now, as far as effective treatment methods go I wouldn’t think it would be necessary to take medication unless otherwise necessary if the subject gets injured during their bout with Somnambulism. If injuries continue then there are some medications used to treat it such as Benzodiazepine, but it should be noted that side-effects from the medication can often make the condition worse. Usually medications are only prescribed if the subject injures themselves or others…as you have probably heard there have been cases of violent sleep sex disorders where someone will strangle, punch, or even rape their partner during a state of deep sleep. Valium often works to curb the effects of this violent form of Somnambulism.

Here is one source (from Stanford University) that may help answer a few other questions about Somnambulism: Stanford: Sleep disorders .

On a side note- I have been told that I regularly sleep walk and sleep talk, nothing of which I have neither any recollection of, nor any physical indications of after the event. Variable sleep patterns are said to be common among adults as in the article provided by Anglosaxon stated, and even more common in children, so I wouldn’t worry too much unless your own sleep patterns cause you or others injury or adverse embarrassment.

[edit on 11-7-2007 by Jazzerman]

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jazzerman
…as you have probably heard there have been cases of violent sleep sex disorders where someone will strangle, punch, or even rape their partner during a state of deep sleep

Heh, I once thwopped Lady Bedlam during a hypnopompic dream. I thought she was a zombie, or whatever that was I was seeing. It was more a flailing backhand than a punch though.

I get some of those at times, they come in cycles. Very disturbing. And apparently I look sort of awake during one, at least my eyes are wide open, but no-one's home.

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I'm told that I talk in my sleep occasionally. Apparently sometimes I even yell things, or just shout loudly without saying any words. I've never walked in my sleep, though, but I often wake up in a different position than I fall asleep in. For instance, I might fall asleep on my side and wake up on my back. I've never asked other people how common that is, or whether I'm unusual in that I don't have a set 'position' for falling asleep that I use every night, or that sometimes I wake up in a new position than I can remember falling asleep in.

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by DragonsDemesne
I've never asked other people how common that is, or whether I'm unusual in that I don't have a set 'position' for falling asleep that I use every night, or that sometimes I wake up in a new position than I can remember falling asleep in.

Well, I never fall asleep in the same position everynight either, so maybe its not that unusual. Then again, who knows.

One question for anyone suffering from this affliction…are any of you on anti-psychotic medications?

That wouldn't explain it either, b/c I'm not taking any medications. Though, I probably should be...

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Saturn
That wouldn't explain it either, b/c I'm not taking any medications. Though, I probably should be...

At least we can rule this out as a potential cause of your affliction then. As stated in my earlier post, some conditions associated with this can be traced genetically. Do you have a history of this in your family? Also, right before you experienced these episodes do you remember having any undue or irregular mental stress or anxiety? I ask this because you mention previous experiences with insomnia and the like.

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Actually, I think my mom might also sleep walk, my grandpa too for that matter... Yeah, I guess it must just be crappy genes.

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 05:04 AM
link   
My parents said i slept walked all the time in my youth. anywhere from just sitting in bed to getting up all walking an getting ready for school.since i never remembered sleep walking i honeslty believe some days they got my stuff ready for school an not me.

my sleep movement stopped when i was 12 an every now and then i wake up paralyzed for a couple minutes...there a thread about that somewhere also

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 06:56 AM
link   
I have to agree with the others who have said that this is most common in children and young adults.

I suffered for years with all of it -- sleep walking/talking and sleep paralysis. Since I reached my 20's, I really haven't had much of an issue. Even though someone will occasionally make a comment that I was growling, or mumbling, or roughing them up a bit in my sleep. But its not nearly as often as it used to be. And I've only had S.P. twice in the past 4 years now.

So its my opinion that, even as confusing as it can be, it should wane or have a lesser affect on you as you get older. Especially if you're in your teens or early adulthood now.

( Or if you're interested, use it to your advantage and try lucid dreaming or astral projecting.
)

I wish you luck, Saturn!

-Mea

[edit on 5-8-2007 by Veritas Lux Mea]

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I suffer from sexsomnia and if you think sleepwalking naked is bad, this is way worse. It almost ruined my marriage. I have absolutely no memory of doing this. It means I cannot sleep over at anyone's house, or have my kids sleep in my room when their sick, or even fall asleep on the couch, etc. Most people might laugh at having this, but it's not a funny thing to have.

No one in my family suffers from sleepwalking, or sleep eating, or any other sleep parasomnia's. I don't take any medications. This has apparently been happening for the past 20 yrs, and it was only 6 yrs ago that we found out about sexomnia and that what I was doing in my sleep was happening to other folks and it actually had a name.

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 08:45 PM
link   
My girlfriend talks in her sleep ALL NIGHT LONG.

I have had conversations with here where I thought she was awake.

Turns out that she was taking sleeping pills. When she got off those, it pretty much went away.

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Hello Everyone,
My younger niece sleep talk and walks. she only does it if she sleeps somewhere different. it is very frightening though, we have just recently went on holiday and i slept in the same room as her. she woke up at least 3 times every night doing these things. she sits up and her eyes are wide open and she crys and talks too you ! you think she;s awake but she isnt. Her mum said she does it on a regualr basis. it is really scary i found it really frightening. !!
Once on our holiday i went into the room and she just sat up with her eyes wide open crying her eyes out, and wen i askd her what was wrong she replies.. Nothing Yasmin Nothing?? Its Reallly scary? Is There Anything we can do ?? Wb Somebody Please??
Thankyou x

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Had a couple of episodes of sleepwalking when I was pregnant with my second child. I had a habit of getting up while asleep and eating anything chocolate.
One early morning I awoke suddenly freezing! When I opened my eyes, I was
pouring milk on my feet!! It was to go with the cookies of course!! LOl!
I am still trying to live that down!!

Haven't had another incident since! Maybe hormones had something to do with it!

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I have a few sleep walking stories..

My mom had foot surgery recently and I stayed over at her house for a weel to help her out since she wasnt allowed to walk on her foot for more than 5 minutes once an hour.

The pain medicine she was presribed, she couldnt take because she was allergic to it. She took ibuebrofen though, but that didnt help all that much.

She took an ambien because the pain made it hard for her to sleep. About an hour after she finally fell asleep, she started sleepwalking.

She came in on her crutches. She said "did you hear Obama is the president elect now?" (this was on election night). I said yes. I looked up and she was going around with her eyes closed.

She went in the kitchen and got some vanilla icecream. She put barbeque sauce on it thinking it was choclate syrup.

Then she put her crutches down and started walking around in the kitchen like a drunk person. I even asked her if she was asleep. The answer was no. I have heard that if you ask a sleep walker if they are asleep the answer is usually no.

I finally guided her back to bed saying that if she needed anything to just call for me and I will get what ever it is she needs.

Watching a sleep walker is actually kind of interesting. She was able to hold a full discussion about politics and everything.

I am told I slept walk a few time as a child. Nothing to exciting, My dad told me once that I came into the living room after I had gone to bed, changed the channel on the tv and then turned around and went to bed.

My sister slept walked a few times as well. When I was about 7 and she was 9. She had gone to bed, SHe got up and walked outside pointing to the sky and said "Look, Scott is flying!"

the last story I have involves my sister again. About 4 years ago when I still lived at home. I had just gone to bed. My sister had been in bed for about 2 hours. About 5 minutes after I had laid down, I heard her get up. SHe walked out of her room, turned on the hall light opened my door, walked up to my bed and just stood there. I asked what she was doing. She said "I dont know" Turned around closed my door, turned off the hall light and went to bed.

Sleep walking is an interesting phenomena. I wish I knew more about it. Infact I may look up some info about it here after a while.

Good thread. Flag and star

top topics

<<   2 >>

join