It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Craziest "food" you've ever eaten?!?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Obliv_au

The Sentinal: shark is the best fish there is in the sea. No little bones to choke on, just a big slab of yummy fishy meet.
In the local fish n chip shops they call it "flake" but its just a deceiving way of saying "heres a big slab of fried shark and your $2 chips"

apparently its not good to eat a lot of shark though, something about it being high in mercury.

Maaaaaaaaaaan I miss flake! Heading home to Melbourne in 2 weeks and the first thing I'ma get me is some shark

You're right though, too much is not good, as with any fish high in mercury. I only eat it occasionally.

Originally posted by Paulene-abeth
I never ever thought I would try it, but I did about 10 years ago and I will never eat it again...

"Crumbed Lamb's Brains"!

Yep, lamb's brains are apparently VERY good for you, my family eat them all the time. I have tried them and actually didn't mind how they tasted (they are fried with lemon juice and fresh herbs - but just knowing what they are made me feel ill so I just can't eat them lol

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I've eaten Cui (guinea pig). Wasn't bad. apparently you are supposed to eat the skin, I didn't.

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Oh, I love "Bizzare Foods with Andrew Zimmern (aka The fat guy)" so this is now officially my new favorite thread! For me, just the idea of food that is unfamiliar is enough of a reason to try it.

I found it kind of suprising that what some people considered "crazy" I have always thought was widely known as the "norm" ie. Octopus, Squid, seaweed, tripe.....

I guess the "craziest" thing I have eaten would be raw Sea Urchin. It honestly tastes like a mouthful of saltwater. I have also had escargo (snails - DELICIOUS - much like steamer clams), Beef Tongue, many raw fish (sashimi) including Salmon, Tuna, Octopus, Squid and Eel, Salmon Roe (eggs), Flying Fish Roe, whatever deep fried whole crab that is in a spider roll, Duck, Deer Jerky, Alligator, Frog legs, Crawdads ( not this one, though) and probably some other critters/plants that do not spring to mind.

Beef Tongue has to be one of the best meats I have ever had. Put it in a crock pot with a couple cans of of french onion soup for four hrs. on high, and it's tastier than roast beef!

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 10:08 PM
link   
The most unusual thing I ate was this 2 inch breaded octopus at this Chinese buffet. I wouldnt even say that was even bad compared to the things that guy eats!

[edit on 3-4-2008 by jasonm56]

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I tried ostrich meat when I was 12. I remember it tasting a bit sweet? I'd like to try it again!

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Camel is probably the weirdest thing I've eaten, and on a fairly regular basis (when I was in Saudi)... Tastes surprisingly like beef.... Some Shawarma stands used to use it alot... (basically a pita-like sandwich). The middle-eastern hot dog, so to speak....

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Not really food,but it was pretty crazy/stupid.

Tarmac

yes,the stuff they make roads out of. (I may have been slightly drunk)

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Not to gross anyone out, but here are a few things I eat on a weekly basis:

Fried Bamboo Worms
Squid stuffed w/ Ant Larvae and Goat Cheese (especially yummy!)
Baked and/or sauteed Eel (another favorite)
Boiled Pig Uterus (I usually add it to Asian style soups)
Haggis (heart, liver, lungs and oats boiled in a sheeps stomach)
Conch and Whelk Soup
Fried Cockles

Some things I eat that aren't particularly weird, but not that common where I live would be:

Cock-a-leekie Soup
Squid brazed in Ink
etc.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Jazzerman

lamb brains
cow hooves & ligaments
kangaroo and aligator meat (but thats becoming more main stream)
and my personal ewww favorite - silk worms

The first two werent bad at all. But there is something unsavoury about eating worms.

[edit on 22/1/09 by 04326]

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by 04326

Interesting. I haven't had silk worms, but if they're anything like the Bamboo worms I'm sure they are tasty. Alligator meat is nice if cooked right, but people tend to fry all the taste out of meats like Alligator.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   

lol - well i am not too familiar with bamboo worms myself but i gather they are a bit like that.

They remind me of wichety grubs only with a crunch to them. I tend to have them marinated in some soy type of sauce...

But aligator is yummmm - expensive but yum!

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Thats what they eat in Kansas?? Wow, we are so close (globally speaking) but that cuisine seems like it would be halfway around the world!

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by hikix

I wouldn't say that what I eat is particularly common in these parts, but it is readily avaliable through certain grocery stores in the urban areas. Having said that, my grandparents used to make Brains & Eggs for our breakfast every morning when we visited them, and have charbroiled chicken hearts for lunch and supper.

Many of the other things I mention I've just acquired a taste for over the years.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I've had most of the traditional American varmints.
I had dog in Korea.
Watched a guy eat a bowl of earthworm soup once.
We also got to sample termites and a few other tidbits in s.e.r.e.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
It's strange, but in the UK offal seems to have gone out of fashion.

I remember eating hearts, liver, kidney and tripe as a kid - but it's quite hard to get hold of now, with the exception of liver.

oxtail is rarely seen, and people don't seem to like eel anymore.

Strange.

Jazzerman - great to see you again, been a while.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Hey Budski, its good to see you as well! I had to take a break from this site, albeit a very long one, but I'm hoping to start posting more often.

I can't believe that Eel has fallen out of favor in the UK, as it's one of my favorite foods. In fact, I eat around two full Eel's every week.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join