It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who's the best front man???

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2007 @ 06:51 PM
link   
What is a "front man?" He writes music. He performs for the crowd. He's the guy that people go to see. There have been many great ones.

Robert Plant

Bon Scott

But who is the best performer? For my money it's:

Freddie Mercury

Everyone knows:

The Fist in the Air

Anyone better?

Tell me.

posted on Jul, 3 2007 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Intrepid I have to agree with you.There is NO ONE better than the late great Freddy Mercury.The Show Must Go On!

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Freddy was the best, bar none.
Had the talent, had the charisma, had the showmanship.

Cug

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Honestly there is no way I could pick a best.

Freddy
Robert Plant
Rob Halford
Ian Gillan
Bruce Dickson
David Lee Roth
James Brown
Iggy Pop
Jerry Lee Lewis
Roger Daltrey
Eric Burdon
David Bowie (ziggy era)
Bon Scott
Elton John
Sebastian Bach

There are just too many who deserve to be called "the Best" IMHO

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 07:59 AM
link   
I can't argue with the previous posts, but I have to add the name of Lou Graham from Foreigner. And who can leave out Paul Rodgers. I think Paul Rodgers might be the best singer in Rock ever.

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Picking the "best" frontman is, frankly, impossible. There are so many great, talented, individuals that come to mind. Many have already been mentioned in this thread. However, in my mind, the best frontman in the heavy metal genre has to be Rob Halford of Judas Priest.

I cannot think of another person or band, for that matter, that defined a genre so indelibly as Judas Priest. Heavy Metal, under the "tutelage" of Halford and Judas Priest, was clearly defined as a musical genre of power, speed and defiance. Furthermore, the "uniform" of metalheads everywhere was established when Rob Halford made his "fashion statement" of leather and metal studded arm-bands -- a fashion trend that was adopted, it would seem, by most -- if not all -- heavy metal bands that were to follow.

As far as being a front man, Rob Halford certainly made his mark with his charismatic persona, voice and his trademark "scream". Judas Priest, the group, and their front man, Rob Halford, are surely The Metal Gods.

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Mick Jagger for mere longevity is in the top ten.

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 04:42 PM
link   
I think its gots to be Freddy... Maynard from tool is up there too.

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Paul Stanley - No contest.

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Ah, but is Paul the frontman? I think Gene might have a thing or two to say about that.

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Have to agree with most of the above, too hard to just pick one!!

Freddie Mercury
Alice Cooper
Bon Scott
Ozzy
Robert Plant
Michael Hutchence
Johnny Rotten
Kurt Cobain
Jim Morrison
David Lee Roth
Geoff Tate
Ian Astbury

There's a dozen, i could go on for days. Not necessarily all the best singers, but as far as a front man goes not too many better.

Cool thread Intrepid.

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Ah, but is Paul the frontman? I think Gene might have a thing or two to say about that.

Gene frontman? No way. Gene is more of the face of KISS, I'd agree with that, but Paul is the ring leader...Gene never says anything to the crowd apart from a few "Oh yeahs" and an "Well all right" Ever seen KISS live?

Paul is absolutley the front man.

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by enjoies05
Ever seen KISS live?

Nope, a guilty pleasure that I've yet to enjoy. I've seen them in my minds eye while listening to the Live albums though. Can you say "album" anymore?

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Well thats how I became a KISS fan, listening to Alive!, and every album they then put out after that, then I saw them live, more times than I can count over the years.

Well if you ever see a bootleg, or concert video you'll see how Paul is the true frontman in KISS...and the greatest one of all

[edit on 5/7/2007 by enjoies05]

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 07:15 PM
link   
I posted a couple of live Kiss videos here

It's hard to pick only one "über alles" frontman. I agree with a lot of names already mentioned in this thread. In addition, I'd like to mention Adrian Belew and Peter Gabriel.

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 01:52 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Wow a lot of greats already been and done! So I'll try and add something new to the mix.

Would have thought this would have been an obvious ATS choice, but not a sniff so far: Matthew Bellamy of MUSE. Awsome just dosen't cut it!

From Wiki: The band is known for their energetic live performances and frontman Matthew Bellamy's eccentric interests in global conspiracy, extraterrestrial life, theology and the apocalypse. [1]

Gavin Rossdale from Bush

Jay Kay from Jamoroquai

and Jon Bon Jovi.

20+ years and still going strong, my Sis saw them at the O2 (London Dome thing) last week and if you see the Live from London DVD at wembly stadium on june 25th 1995. "I was there Dude!" That was an amazing line up for the day. And a freaking awsome memory: - Van Halen - Ugly Kid Joe - Bon Jovi. Hmmmm

Eddie Van Halen.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 05:44 PM
link   
When front men were men...

Frank Sinatra
Tony Bennett
Dean Martin
Benny Goodman

I could go on... But you get the picture.

Old School Monkeys, not just for leaving the building anymore...

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mirthful Me
When front men were men...

Frank Sinatra
Tony Bennett
Dean Martin
Benny Goodman

You have a problem with Glenn Miller?

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Another great front man is Mark Knopfler