It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the Canadian Government bought off?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I have noticed this for sometime and it makes me very angry being a proud Canadian citizen.

Canada has the largest oil reserves in the world.
Lots and lots of natural resources such as wood, fresh water and minerals.
Large diamond depoites.
We also produce more electricity then we need.

But, we sell all our good wood and oil to the US cheaper then what our government sells it to its own citizens. The government is piping most of our fresh water to the US. They are also keeping our electric prices higher here too, and they are selling it to the US cheaper also.

This makes me mad, our government is ripping its own citizens off, and could easily set its export prices higher for oil like most oil rich countries, increase all or most export price as to not rip us Canadians off, thus, we could become one of the richest countries in the world and out of dept, but no.

This raises the questions, why don't they? Most likely I think most of the government body is bought off or black mailed. Could this have something to do with that elite groups schemes? Or the NWO? Please share your ideas and opinions on the issue/potential conspiracy.

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 03:41 PM
link   
No replies? Nothing?
I am sorry for the lack of links and reference, but most of what I have learned about this was from books, social teachers, and people who I know that worked in these industries.

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Hi Fellow Canadian.

Let's look at each of these items and I'll ask some questions.

Canada has the largest oil reserves in the world.
Okay. But do we have refineries? Are we actually refining our own oil? Is it that we send the crude out of country to be refined and then import the usuable stuff back in when other people have done their dirty work on it? That's value added. That's why we sell cheap out of country but us as consumers pay more.

Lots and lots of natural resources such as wood, fresh water and minerals.
Same point as above. We ship out of country at less cost and import the 'value added' consumables. We may have our own manufacturers but you have to remember that they are most likely unionized. Therefore the cost of manufacturing already has a baseline amount.

Large diamond deposits. Yup. But again, do we Canadians have the skills and people available to do the cutting, grading, etc? And how much do we pay them? Is there enough of a market in Canada to warrant cheap diamonds? That's purely market-driven.

We also produce more electricity then we need. Yup. But I'm unsure how much the US sells it to their own people. But each Canadian hydro company has to maintain all these electrical lines from each and every residence/business/etc in this country. That takes money, from us. It takes alot less infrastructure to send electricity out of the country to one of the US's 'electricity harnessing plants' (don't know what they're called either).

I think you also exaggerate when you say we are "piping most of our fresh water to the US". Haven't seen a pipe yet.. It just so happens that our rivers do run south though...

What annoys me most is that although our dollar is almost on Par with the US, we are still paying 30% more for the same book. Just look on any dustcover of a book. What gives?

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Ah. Thank you condorgirl. That puts it into a much better perspective for me. Well, that almost kills the potential conspiracy right there, save for the books though. Killed one potential conspiracy and started another. I still have some points to look over on this topic, but I was saving them for later in the thread if it got going. I was planning to do a bit more research first before adding them. I still might add them to this thread or start another later. Well, thanks again for the reply condorgirl.

[edit on 1-7-2007 by halfmask]

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by halfmask
and could easily set its export prices higher for oil like most oil rich countries,

Most of our exported oil goes to the US. Under the terms of NAFTA, we have to charge the US the same amount as we pay ourselves. So yeah, we could raise the price of oil, but we'd all have to pay the higher prices.

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 10:21 AM
link   
And there is that "value added" tax for Universal Health Care. The books: Are they printed in the US then shipped to Canada? You pay less for perscription drugs in Canada then for the same drug in the US. All those grannys busted at the border. As far as Canadian national debt, they listened to a bad influence to the south.

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Personally I think a lot of it has to do with maintaining goodwill with the United States. All that defense of Canada during the Cold War didn't come free, you know. Canada never knows when she may need the help of her powerful southern neighbor again.

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Yes our books ARE printed in the States. I suspect that's where the conspiracy is. The US doesn't like Canada doing all this fine research and actually discovering things so they 'penalize' us by making all our tools more expensive.

And I suspect the reason why our prescription drugs are much cheaper is that our government has mandated a cap on prices so the suppliers don't gouge us. We are not willing to pay the high prices whereas the US government hasn't put curbs on the cost of the US drugs so the suppliers will charge them whatever they want.

'Value added tax for Universal Health Care'? Hmmm.. except that we all pay about average $50 a person per month whether we use the health care system or not. And since I haven't seen a doctor in 3 years, that's.. um.. 36*50 = $1800, that I've paid but never received the benefit of (and since $50 is actually way lower than what I personally pay..), and since health care gets a nice chunk of change from the lotteries.. I can't see where we are directly affected through our goods and consumeables.

Just a thought.

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Oooh.. and I thought I'd take a stab at Mr. Uberarcanist.

Actually, Canada was NEVER threatened during the Cold War. That's a fallacy. The US WAS however freaked out that the USSR was so close to Canada and that's why they Grabbed, (with the help of the United Nations, thank you very much) the Alaskan Panhandle from us.

It was the Paranoia from the rest of the world that had Canada caught in the middle. We protested against that land grab and were shot down by the rest of the planet. Thank you very much sirs!

And just so you know. Canada has a very competent military. We make do with the resources we have and are able to actually accomplish our goals. If we needed to defend ourselves, we'd be like a badger in a corner. And here in Canada, it's not like we actually had to give up our guns, we merely had to register them.

top topics

join