It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia lays claim to the North Pole - and all its gas, oil, and diamonds

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Russian leader Vladimir Putin has made an astonishing bid to grab a vast chunk of the Arctic, giving himself claim to its vast potential oil, gas and mineral wealth.

His audacious argument that an underwater Russian ridge is linked to the North Pole is likely to lead to an international outcry.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

LINK

I was my understanding that both the north and south pole area was not ANY countries.

I wonder what the US/UK/Nato will think of this?

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Well he can claimed, but is just fishing for a response from the rest of the nations.

This under international laws, from the source,

Under current international law, the countries ringing the Arctic - Russia, Canada, the US, Norway, Denmark (Greenland) - are limited to a 200 mile economic zone around their coastlines

So as you see is not much he can do without approval from the countries mention here under the current law.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I thought the north pole belonged to the folks living in the hollow earth (and possibly some nazis).

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 10:49 AM
link   
The North Pole belongs to Norway. Everybody knows that.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 10:53 AM
link   
gandalf"lordofftherings" is gona be pissed

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
I thought the north pole belonged to the folks living in the hollow earth (and possibly some nazis).

Jeez, Louise...not much good at keepin' a secret is ya?

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I am, and stop calling me Louise.

I can't wait to see the race to the poles in an effort to establish bases there to ward off frozen attackers.

Perhaps this is more along the lines of jockeying to be in control when the polar caps melt.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Vladimir Putin is trying to sabotage the expedition led by a team of scientists to find the hollow in the earth and circumnavigate it!!!

Good point, Crakeur, it all makes sense now. I knew those people didnt stand a chance. This is all a made up scheme to keep them from seeking the inhabitants within the earth.

I'd provide you with the name of the scientist, but it escapes me at the moment.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 11:34 AM
link   
that expedition is a scam. they run it every year, collect money presumably, and then postpone the trip.

looks like it could be russia's attempt to do something in the region since the us, japan and a few other nations are involved with this:
www.astrobio.net...

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Ooh. This reminds me of the Alistair MacLean novel, "Ice Station Zebra". Very good book and made into a passable movie. MacLean also wrote "Guns of Navarone" among other pretty good books.

I read this about 800 years ago when I was in high school. This would be a good summer read for someone looking for one. Check your local library.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 12:57 PM
link   

"Frankly I think it's a little bit strange," Sergey Priamikov, the international co-operation director of Russia's Arctic and Antarctic Research Institute in St Petersburg, told the Guardian. "Canada could make exactly the same claim. The Canadians could say that the Lomonosov ridge is part of the Canadian shelf, which means Russia should in fact belong to Canada, together with the whole of Eurasia."

Mr Priamikov said the area was one of breathtaking natural beauty. It was much drier, colder and quieter than the western Arctic, he added. "I've been there many times. It's an oasis for marine life," he said. Asked whether it would be feasible to drill for oil, he said: "Yes".

Source: The Guardian

So, I wonder when Putin is going to dissolve the Duma, resign his position of President and look to Prime Minister Stephen Harper as his new leader? Along with the rest of Eurasia. Canada's going to rule the world!

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 03:00 PM
link   
They better be careful or they will start an arms race, don’t think Santa's elves can’t build nukes.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 03:07 PM
link   
WoW...

Now that would rock if we could annex the Whole Eurasia with only that Claim as a basis

"All your base are belong to us"

Anyway,

I agree with Marg, he's pretty much just looking for an answer

I doubt Russia even has the means of exploiting those riches

Even if at the same time I believe at some point we will start the exploitation of the North Pole Ressources

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 04:01 PM
link   

I am, and stop calling me Louise.

I can't wait to see the race to the poles in an effort to establish bases there to ward off frozen attackers.

Perhaps this is more along the lines of jockeying to be in control when the polar caps melt.

your last sentence is a very good point. as more of the cap melts or breaks away(as happened around ellesmere island while i was stationed at cfs alert) the maps will be changed and there will be more room for claims to be made.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I'm certain Putin is pissed of that Russia sold us Alaska which made the 200 economic zone possible for us.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Well he can claimed, but is just fishing for a response from the rest of the nations.

This under international laws, from the source,

Under current international law, the countries ringing the Arctic - Russia, Canada, the US, Norway, Denmark (Greenland) - are limited to a 200 mile economic zone around their coastlines

So as you see is not much he can do without approval from the countries mention here under the current law.

OK, this is what bugs the hell out of me --- and believe it or not its not Russia's audacious claims, but the last sentance of your post. Just bugs the hell out of me!

International Law.

Its a fancy term, rather bolder then what it really is...

Tell me though. What is international law?

Who decides International Law?

Who ENFORCES International Law?

Who decides a punishment for a NATION under this faux Law?

I will answer it all in this short simple sentence.

There is not International Law, the International Community is ANARCHY.

And that, is fact.

International Law as described by International Law it's self is a series of treaties. These treaties are signed and agreed upon by all major partisipents of the European Union, United Nations, NATO, and at one point the Warsaw Pact made International Law....

It is a system designed not to actually regulate anything.. but set aside a specific description of what would really piss another nation off...

For example.

Canada, Northern Europe, Russia and the United States... the US would be mad as hell if Canada, Europe, or Russia claimed all of the Arctic right? And Russia would be pissed if the US did, or Canada, or Europe, Europe would be pissed if any one did the same...

So they meet, and they say "make it off bounds" and a treaty is agreed upon under the disguise of "International Law"

Another example..

Nuclear Non-proliferation agreement.

Ha. This one cracks me up. People thought it a move for peace, but it was not. The United States did not want Russia selling nuclear secrets and helping build nukes in other countries.. like Vietnam, for instance.

And Russia did not want the United States helping third world countries get nukes either.... like Israel or Turkey.

Europe (Britain and France) did not want other European nations, mid east nations getting nukes either..

So they got together and said "no more nukes" limit the club to a specific number.
India, Pakistan, Israel and South Africa are examples of the effect of that "Law"

International Law CANNOT and WILL NOT be enforced under any method.

If Russia claims the Arctic war is the ONLY answer. But...

Would we go to war with Russia if they build well in the Arctic.. what if they build bases, ect.. what if they really honestly claimed the Arctic? ...

Would Europe, Canada and the US declare war?

No.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is what Putin is doing. Hes testing us. Bush went and shot his big mouth off, insulted the man, his job and his people. Cheney took it 10 steps further. 2 summers ago our lovely Vice President of the United States went to LITHUANIA.. stood before an assembly of former SOVIET GENERALS.. new aged political leaders, former communist and many Soviet separatist.... and insulted Putin in the worst possible ways... in front of his former friends in allies.

That moment... was the end of US - Russian relations. Putin actually said so himself. the next day in Moscow, the newspapers read in bold, black letters. NEW COLD WAR BEGINS

So America is stuck in a war, economy doing a difficult balancing act right now.. we literally cannot afford a massive war.. I take that back.. we can afford a massive war, we cannot afford to downgrade or stop a massive war.. our economy will dissolve when it ends.. our guys in brass know this..

So does Russia.

Russia sits on 0 debt, billion in excess profits, and billions more in Gold, actually they have the second largest Gold supply in the world.

The people might not have money, but the government does.

Putin will continue to push America, waiting for a push back.. economic, verbal, what have you..

Putin will then measure the push back from America.. and he will see 2 things. Our seriousness, and behind that and most importantly .. our CONFIDENCE >>> if we are not confident in confronting Russia, the Russians know they won.

Russia does this the only way it literally can.. military movements, annexing the Arctic would be a military move.. economic bonus, but fully military.. hes pushing us.. will you confront me? Remember Germany's annexes before WWII..

China does the EXACT SAME THING AS RUSSIA. Only economically, as China does not have the current ability to even threaten the US military wise.. unlike Russia.. but China does have one thing Russia does not.. economy power over the US..

China purposefully dumps ITS OWN STOCKS and watches the ripples.

It proved 2 things. 1. We are weak within our economy, it straddles the very edge of the abyss. 2. Our government failed in showing confidence.. China still has Most Favored Nation Status within the World Trade Organization. In the end... the United States.. as embarrassing as it sounds.. simply asked China not to keep its own currency down, let it inflate and keep up with America.

China laughed, long, and hard.. and said. No. But to pretend to be friends, up'd it a few %.. America was pissed. But tail between the legs, head down, walked away.

Then they blew up a satalite. Weaponry in space. Against International Law. no punishments, just a formal request to .. ahem. "Please don't do that" ..

Russia has been increasing the severity of its moves.. this is a huge deal if it stands true. The East grows every day, but the West is devided, weakening and currently fragile.

It is, my personal opinion, that the world's stage is being set, the final moves are being played in this proverbial chess game.. a war is coming, and it will be here sooner then you may anticipate.

-Rock

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 05:11 PM
link   
All I know is that is going to be hard as (...) to harvest those resources.

````````````````
edited censor circumvention

[edit on 29/6/07 by masqua]

FDS

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Russian leader Vladimir Putin has made an astonishing bid to grab a vast chunk of the Arctic, giving himself claim to its vast potential oil, gas and mineral wealth.

This sentence is very misleading, because Putin never actually said anything about Arctic

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 12:27 PM
link   

If I'm not mistaken that's the south pole and Antartica...Antartic Nazi's

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 12:40 PM
link   
i had to do a double take on the North Pole claim by Putin,
for the resources/oil/diamonds/etc that are 'there'

well, the link i used was www.crystalinks.com...

and it was just as i supposed....the area of the North Pole is under fathoms, if not kilometers of sea-ice ocean water...
just how does one suppose that he could make good on his claim???
any meager resources would require super-deep & frigid water
technology to mine or extract or otherwise develop/recover

Putin is pulling the International Communities', Int'l Courts leg!!!

He's making a rhetorical statement & blowing smoke....imho

ADD:
the arctic & sub-arctic regions were tropical some 55mya,
& there may be resources in the far flung 8 nations that surround the Arctic ocean areas...but as far as the North Pole itself,
there's nothing there,
its been under water for billions of years, there's never been a dry
landmass there.
Unless one believes the yarn that began with the British Gentlemans Geographical & Expeditionary Club, & formed an expedition to: "Journey to the Center of the Earth", back in the Jules Verne era, then Putin can lay claim to the magical world called NorthPole

[edit on 29-6-2007 by St Udio]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join