It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Reverse Racism"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 07:17 AM
link   
I'm not entirely sure how this works in the US, but I have heard and read a little bit about affirmative action.

In the UK, IMHO, this is a problem running out of control.

First let me say that I have no agenda, and have friends of many different races and nationalities, but I have noticed and been a victim of reverse racism as it is implemented by the so-called liberal elite, and have friends who have also been victims of this policy.

After speaking to people and doing a bit of research, I have noticed a trend.

The people that speak loudest about racism are, in my experience, members of the afro-caribbean and muslim communities.

I have never heard the chinese, hindu's or sikh's complain about racism.

Now granted, when people first came to the UK in large numbers from the caribbean, racism was rife, and continued to be so for quite a number of years - there used to be signs in lodging house windows saying "No Blacks, No Dogs, No Irish" as one example. But this is no longer the case, where someone is victimised because of nationality or skin colour.
There are still small pockets in some cities where racism persists, but these are a definite minority, and this goes for the ethnic communities as well.

Some members of minority communities are also under the impression that only white people can be racist, and this is clearly absurd.

The question I'd like to ask, is why members think "reverse racism" exists?

I understand the arguments about inclusion and the need to stamp out racism in any form, but aren't these arguments - or more properly, how they've been implemented - causing more problems than they now solve?

The PC brigade in this country view their own flag as a racist symbol of oppression, anyone who thinks contrary to this is usually branded racist, or a "little englander".

We need to be clear about what constitutes racism and what doesn't.
Stop and search of a known criminal in the early hours of the morning is not racist.

Targetting gangs of black youths who routinely carry knives is not racist.

Arresting muslims for burning the national flag and inciting hate crimes is not racist.

Allowing people of different ethnic origin to dictate how they are policed so as not to offend ethnic communities, is racist.

Any thoughts?

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I agree, I feel that there is a lot of unnecessary hostility from groups that are generally considered victims of racism. I guess people of all ethnicities just assume that everyone else dislikes them.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alienorigin
I agree, I feel that there is a lot of unnecessary hostility from groups that are generally considered victims of racism. I guess people of all ethnicities just assume that everyone else dislikes them.

I don't think thats really true.

I think we may have inadvertantly created a victim culture by our actions in forcing the ideal of equality too far.

All ethnic groups are or can be victims of racism, it just so happens that the 2 groups mentioned shout loudest about it, and I wondered if anybody had any real idea's as to why.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I live in the US. I can give you an example of reverse racism.

My son was accepted to a college. His GPA and test scores in high school qualified him to be accepted at every college that he applied to. Yet, he was not offered any financial assistance.

He went to a college that was known for it's engineering school. He was also one of the top students at his college. He was friends with and tutored minority students that had received full ride scholarships to this same institution. Those students came from upper middle class families ( much better off than me). They got scholarships not because of their academic qualifications ( which were mediocre) but because of the color of their skin and/or their hispanic surname.

I was told, off the record of course, that my son was white listed.

So reverse racism does exist and our family has experienced it.

In another example, I was hired for a computer programming job. Because I was a white male, the department that hired me had to complete extensive paperwork to justify hiring me as opposed to hiring a woman or minority. Yes I got the job but why were unqualified candidates being pushed for a job that they couldn't do?

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Agreed,
quota filling is one the things that I object to.

Suitability for a position/bursary etc should be based on achievement, rather than ethnic origin.

I can understand why it's done, but to me it's the wrong way.

Perhaps this kind of thing has helped produce the victim culture I mentioned before.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I don't believe in the term 'reverse racism'. Racism is racism.
It is ugly and there are people of all races who are racist.
But I understand what you are saying budsi and I FULLY agree - especially with THIS -

Some members of minority communities are also under the impression that only white people can be racist ...

I have actually heard a handful or so of 'black' people say this bunk.

Edited to add -

Originally posted by budski
the victim culture

.. which is suicide .. and is thriving.

[edit on 6/28/2007 by FlyersFan]

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I don't believe in the term either FF,
but it's out there, and made the point of the thread easier to recognise.

A while back we had the celebrity big brother show on - one contestant said "how can she be racist, she half caste"

Oh how I laughed

or would have done if it weren't such a stupid, and prevalent train of thought.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 01:38 PM
link   

made the point of the thread easier to recognise.

I know .. I understand .. that's why I worded my post the way I did.

Actually, I find the term irksome. 'reverse racism'. huh??

I wonder who the heck made it up. It makes no sense.
It's also racist in it's core because it implies that white people are the
standard racists ... bah!

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 02:00 PM
link   
The problem is, how else could you phrase it?

Still, it's one of the biggest problems facing UK society.

We are in danger of creating a generation of people from other ethnic groups who feel the world owes them something - and it's not really their fault, they are being educated to believe this is true.

During the anniversary of the end of the slave trade, we had some people calling for compensation!

So, OK, we start with the other tribes who kidnapped and sold you, then move on to the arab traders, then the people who shipped slaves to the west indies, then the plantation owners, then the sugar lobby, then the people who wanted cheap sugar, then the tea producers who made the tea we wanted sweetened etc etc.

It just doesn't make any sense to me.

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Budski give me three solid examples of the way that blacks or Muslims have been racist to you or to other white people. I think that you have confused positive discrimination (which is inherently wrong) and reverse racism mate. Enlighten me.

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 03:27 PM
link   
OK, when I lived in handsworth a work colleague wouldn't stop and talk to me in the street cos i was white - he freely admitted he didn't want his mates to see him talking to a white guy - he was a black guy

when a manager at BAA a black guy turned round and said "I ain't takin orders from no white man" - I'd asked him to take a call from one of his customers

Same place, a muslim guy wouldn't speak to me but would speak to a muslim manager - he was the same with black guys and indian guys

muslim guy was sacked eventually - he brought a discrimination case - kicked out of court

black guy also sacked in the end

got lots of these

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 03:28 PM
link   
also, i believe that positive discrimination and reverse racism are inherently the same thing

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Some members of minority communities are also under the impression that only white people can be racist, and this is clearly absurd.

I wanted to give a recent example of this by posting what the UFC fighter Tito ortiz(not sure if I spelled his last name right)said about the guy he is fighting next but now I can't find it on UFC.com. Anyways tito made a claim reportedly close to what Imus said about the guy he is going to fight next. But tito says he can't be racist he is mexican/american he can't be racist.

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Yup, some people are stupid - it's official - how can people think that kind of thing?
it beggars belief ffs

rac·ism (rszm)
n.
1. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race.
www.thefreedictionary.com...

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 08:36 PM
link   

OK, when I lived in handsworth a work colleague wouldn't stop and talk to me in the street cos i was white - he freely admitted he didn't want his mates to see him talking to a white guy - he was a black guy

Same place, a muslim guy wouldn't speak to me but would speak to a muslim manager - he was the same with black guys and indian guys

muslim guy was sacked eventually - he brought a discrimination case - kicked out of court

black guy also sacked in the end

got lots of these

Budski, thank you. Those incidents show reverse racism if they are true. However positive discrimination is NOT reverse racism. There is no implied superiority of one race over another. It is simply a misguided way of bringing inequality of wealth and opportunity to an end. However are you an abrasive person in the workplace? Did you have hassle with white people as well?

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 09:39 AM
link   
No, I'm a really laid back democratic kind of manager - I find that people are more willing to go the extra mile for you, if you do the same for them.
And in 15 years of management, I've never had a complaint about me that was justified.

I'm no longer in that job, or even in that city, but my management style has always been the same.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Wildbob77

reverse racism does exist. i truely agree with you. hispanic has become the new white in work places. they have all the jobs,they continue to hire there own and the problem i have is that we all sit back and watch it. they are the only race that I 've seen able to get away w/ it. they intentionally make the work place uncomfortable. very sneaky and very deceptive. now what I do not understand is that if that was white america doing it there would law suits every which way. I tell people all the time mexican,hispanic or anyone of there decent does not represent me as far as my race is concern. we as a people need to take a greater look and see whats really going on. I do believe people should asteem themselves but not at the exspense of tearing someone else done to get there.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

I entirely agree with your Budski.

Affirmative action and lenient policing are the biggest race-based injustices in existance today.

Who does affirmative action hurt:

1. Businesses and academic institutions: since they recieve sub-par candidates.

2. Candidates themselves: if they cannot keep up with the workload.

3. Ethnic "majorities": may lose out to another due to their race. Totally unacceptable.

4. Denigration of model minorities' achievements: As Budski said, Hindus, Sikhs, Jews, Chinese are academically capable, and do not need affirmative action. Their hard work is undermined by affirmative action.

As a member of a minority, I certainly feel that my merit- derived place in university and employment is denigrated by any affirmative action quotas that are in place. When people look at a productive person of ethnic minority, they are angered because they assume that all races derive benefit from this odious practice of affirmative action.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I hate the term "reverse racism" or "reverse discrimination."

There is only racism or discrimination.

Of course, not all discrimination is bad, but it is used often to mean unlawful discrimination--race, gender, age, national origin, sexual orientation, and handicaps that can be accommodated.

Affirmative action is lawful, unlawful discrimination.

[edit on 2008/5/28 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 05:44 AM
link   
An interesting sidenote to this, is that where I now live (cornwall) the cornish regard themselves as a separate culture and separate racial group, and there is an independance movement for cornwall to be classed as a separate country like wales and scotland.

They have a point, because the cornish ethnic group is very closely related (the same pretty much) as the welsh and breton ethnic groups, complete with their own language, and historically the cornish and others have seen them as a separate country to england.
wiki info

Which brings me to my point - discrimination in cornwall against non-cornish inhabitants is rife, especially in the far west of the county.

Social housing and local government jobs are routinely given to cornish people rather than others, regardless of how long they have lived there or whether they are first or fourth generation people living there.

On behalf of a friend ofmine, I've been researching social housing, and have found that "outsiders" are regularly pushed down the housing list to "make way" for cornish applicants - I have the proof, and it is indisputable.

Now my question is this - does this constitute racism (because the cornish see themselves as a separate ethnic group) or is it merely a form of nepotism?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join