It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HIND Helicopter Flying Without Rotors

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2007 @ 05:33 PM
link   
This is weird, at first I thought it was some kind of trick, but after thinking about it I thought maybe the turbines of the helicopter could help it move while the rear rotors could keep it from spinning out of control.

Here's another:

Anybody have any idea of what it could be?

[edit on 19-6-2007 by Falken]

posted on Jun, 19 2007 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Yes, the camera shutter speed matches the rotor speed so every time the shutter opens the blade is in the same place, hence the illusion of it not moving. If the rotor were really not moving then the helo would crash, immediately and messily.

posted on Jun, 19 2007 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by waynos
Yes, the camera shutter speed matches the rotor speed so every time the shutter opens the blade is in the same place, hence the illusion of it not moving. If the rotor were really not moving then the helo would crash, immediately and messily.

thats what i was gonna say.

MYTH BUSTED!

posted on Jun, 19 2007 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Yhea its called Temporal aliasing or stroboscopic effect.

Thing is the rotors look remarkably defined and steady - I would of expected them to at least be a bit blury, or jumping around a bit in a jerky fashion.

It could be possable that the camera operator was able to fine tune the shutter speed to give the best result, either way I think this is the awnswer.

Watching the first clip I could hear the roters beating the air, and nothing in the movement of the Hind ruled out it being suspended from a second chopper that is kept out of shot (remember the Russians have that really cool sky crane) - but the second clip sortof rules that out cos of the steep banking performed.

posted on Jun, 19 2007 @ 06:20 PM
link   
good call, I was going to mention if you watch close you can see several time smoke is emmitting from the bottom, I was going to suggest perhaps thrusters. But the camera shutter is a very good answer. If a helo could fly without rotors why even spend money to put the rotors on?

posted on Jun, 19 2007 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Yeah, a helicopter cannot fly without rotors as no lift is being developed. The shutter visual phenomena seems to be the best answer.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Jun, 19 2007 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by waynos
Yes, the camera shutter speed matches the rotor speed.

Video camera shutter speed? Ya'll silly.

Maybe framerate.

[edit on 19/6/07 by SteveR]

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Just proves you don't need to know the technical terms to get the gist of what is going on, let it be an inspiration to everyone

Signed Waynos, a distinctly non-technical old fart.

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 06:04 AM
link   
As it's a video, technically there are no shutters in the traditional sense of the word. However, an adjustment of the filming speed could easily create the same effect. The missing rotor is nothing more then a optical illusion created by the filming speed.

A rotor for a helicopter is actually a rotating wing. It uses the same basic shape and lifting principles as a fixed wing on a regular airplane. It combines the effect of a wing with the function of a propeller, providing both lift and thrust. Wings need airflow the generate life, the rotor creates that airflow by spinning.

Tim

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Yeah this video is busted more or less as already posted. The video was originally posted at www.flightglobal.com under the article VIDEO: Mil Mi-24V Hind helicopter appears to defy gravity. The real story oviously isn't as it looks. The chopper can't fly without a moving rotor, as the laws of pysics explain. And we all know that we can't do anything the holy laws forbid.

[edit on 20-6-2007 by Figher Master FIN]

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 11:45 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then
Yhea its called Temporal aliasing or stroboscopic effect.

Thing is the rotors look remarkably defined and steady - I would of expected them to at least be a bit blury, or jumping around a bit in a jerky fashion.

It could be possable that the camera operator was able to fine tune the shutter speed to give the best result, either way I think this is the awnswer.

Watching the first clip I could hear the roters beating the air, and nothing in the movement of the Hind ruled out it being suspended from a second chopper that is kept out of shot (remember the Russians have that really cool sky crane) - but the second clip sortof rules that out cos of the steep banking performed.

Wow - init it cool that you can read something you wrote more than a year ago that you'd completly forgotton about

Just me - made me smile, I do love this site.

new topics

top topics

join