It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Syria buying MiG-31 on Paris air show

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2007 @ 10:34 PM
link   
This is not a good news for anyone, the MiG-31 is the most advanced interceptor in the world, if it carry four external fuel tank with 6 R-37 missiles, except F-22, nothing could get close to, but F-22 has no ability to take off or land down on carrier. So a new trouble to the US Navy.

posted on Jun, 18 2007 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Really? I thought it was SU-30MKI.

posted on Jun, 18 2007 @ 11:41 PM
link   

but F-22 has no ability to take off or land down on carrier. So a new trouble to the US Navy.

No doubt Isreal will soon be operating the F-22. Be interesting to see how many of these Russian fighters end up flying in Iranian colours. be interesting to discover if Syria is training Iranian pilots to fly them too ?

posted on Jun, 18 2007 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by sy.gunson
Be interesting to see how many of these Russian fighters end up flying in Iranian colours. be interesting to discover if Syria is training Iranian pilots to fly them too ?

Now why would a Sunni and Shia state co-operate so?

posted on Jun, 18 2007 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by emile
...but F-22 has no ability to take off or land down on carrier. So a new trouble to the US Navy.

Neither does the MiG-31 as far as everything I can find shows. I haven't found anything that says a MiG-31 can land on a carrier. In fact the sheer weight of it makes it a lousy carrier plane.

posted on Jun, 19 2007 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Not only that, but the MiG-31 cant attack carriers with its huge missiles. How is this trouble for the US navy?

posted on Jun, 19 2007 @ 12:52 AM
link   
I assume that emile meant that because F22 can't land on carriers it's not a problem to syrians. A statement that is false as USA can operate from various airbases in the mediterranean. (Turkey, Israel, Iraq...)

And Mig-31 could seriously f*** up USN strike packages...

posted on Jun, 19 2007 @ 01:41 AM
link   
How is the Mig 31 that big of a threat? Syria already has the Mig 25 in its inventory (at least 30) The Mig 31 is basicaly an improved variant. However, the aircraft is an interceptor which makes little sence for the Syrians.

If they want to tangle with the IAF, it makes far more sence to get an Su-30 or one of its variants. The Mig-31 while fast is not that manuverable.

Unless they plan on using the aircraft as a mini AWACS to vector other fighters its basicaly fodder for the IAF IMHO.

I don't think the Syrians need to lose any sleep over the F-22 any time soon. They will have a bad enough time with the F-15 of the IAF. Fit those with AESA radar and its lights out.

posted on Jun, 19 2007 @ 01:58 AM
link   
`lights out`

erm not really - turn around light up the burners and out fly anything shot at it.......

IMO they are simply replacing the 25`s they have in there fleet - and heck they might even fit the 31`s with aesa

[edit on 19/6/07 by Harlequin]

posted on Jun, 19 2007 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
How is the Mig 31 that big of a threat?

I think it is worth nothing than even in the depths of the depression following the fall of communism, the RuAF kept upgrading MiG-31s from B/BS to M standard.

Also, in 1996 (was it?), when money did become available, it was funnelled to the Foxhound squadrons.

My point is the RuAF viewed it among the most important components of their arsenal - surely that alone means it possesses a potent threat (which we may not fully understand).

posted on Jun, 19 2007 @ 05:14 AM
link   

My dentist is a Palestinian from Syria. His nurse is an Iraqi. Last week I asked him about the relationship between suni and shia in Syria. He and his nurse scoffed at my question. e told me the differences are not as bad as westerners are led to believe. He said the differences are being talked up by the Americans.

My dentist confirmed that Syria is mostly Suni, but that the ruling party and royal family are closely linked with Shia.

I also note that quite recently there have been reports cited here at ATS of Syria purchasing Russian S-300 SAM systems as a proxy for Iran to get around US objections to Russian arms sales to Iran.

The possibility of Syria acquiring Su-30MKI for Iran is not so far fetched.

posted on Jun, 19 2007 @ 05:25 AM
link   
since the MKI is indian there might be an issue there

it would be an MK *something* - MKK is china MKA is algeria etc

so it would be an MKS for syria , but whats inside would be anyones guess

posted on Jun, 19 2007 @ 08:41 AM
link   
The Su-30MK is a package delightedly wrapped in Christmas paper. It's a surprise to anyone what will be in it.

MiG-31 being a serious threat? Sure it's fast, but is burning out it's fuel reserves in less than 5 minutes really the best tactic for an endurance battle?

They better hope that they get one shot and their one shot doesn't miss because if they have to come over again they'll be out of fuel before they know it.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Jun, 19 2007 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Does Syria have the ability to train the pilots to exploit the planes capabilities? If you put a highly trained USAF pilot in an F15 against a minimally trained pilot in a Mig31, where would you put your money?

posted on Jun, 19 2007 @ 08:56 AM
link   
The mig 31 is a good air defence platform, but its outdated. With afterburners on, how long would it maintain that speed. Not long. And mig 31 will never be able to land on a aircraftcarrier, the plane is so huge and heavy, and it is simply not an aircraft carrier aircraft haha. The F-22 will have no problem taking that old aircraft down. Su-30 will be a bigger problem, but also the Su-30 is outdated in comparison to the F-22, maybe the new gen aircraft of Russia can do anything about it, like the Su-35 with trust vectoring, or the new mig 29 OVT..

[edit on 19-6-2007 by Pazzzzz]

posted on Jun, 19 2007 @ 09:32 AM
link   
wow so much that people don`t actually understand

The MiG-31 is the RuAF premier bomber interceptor - its the whole job of that aircraft - so when a B-2 is tracked on radar - the Foxhounds are scambled to intercept the target and volley fire there missles at it to kill it then go home

its nothing like an F-15 - its role is similar to that of the F-14 or Tornado F3

In all honesty - as has been said , Syria would be better buying an SU-30MKS

posted on Jun, 19 2007 @ 10:09 AM
link   
That's a big IF harlequin, the B-2 is USAF's silver bullet, I doubt it'll be tracked any time before dropping it's payload, at least tracked long enough.

But yeah, an advanced Su-30MK variant might be the best way to go for them.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Jun, 19 2007 @ 10:11 AM
link   
the big bird radar can track them - can`t shoot at them but can track them.

but as you said ; could it be tracked long enough before dropping it payload is another question - the russians seem to think it can.

posted on Jun, 19 2007 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by northwolf
I assume that emile meant that because F22 can't land on carriers it's not a problem to syrians. A statement that is false as USA can operate from various airbases in the mediterranean. (Turkey, Israel, Iraq...)

And Mig-31 could seriously f*** up USN strike packages...

wouldnt that put the bases within striking distance of Iranian and syrian ground to ground missiles effectly giving them a chance to neutralize the threat.

Originally posted by BlackWidow23
Not only that, but the MiG-31 cant attack carriers with its huge missiles. How is this trouble for the US navy?

drop a few anti ship missiles from a safe distance and pray a couple make it

Originally posted by SteveR

because both countries have been labled Axis of evil and have their countries in the cross heirs of a world superpower gone buserk

so they have a better chance of averting a war or causing more death to the invading forces while going down

Originally posted by sy.gunson
no doubt Isreal will soon be operating the F-22. Be interesting to see how many of these Russian fighters end up flying in Iranian colours. be interesting to discover if Syria is training Iranian pilots to fly them too ?

very unlikely as the US isnt that dumb enough to get that sort of state of the art aircraft to the israelis seeing what they do to the tec *cough china*
so if the US gives f-22s to Israel it might aswell give designs to China and save israel the trouble of stabing the US in the back like a good friend

posted on Jun, 19 2007 @ 06:03 PM
link   
The Mig 31 has been the best interceptor for a long time because of its excellent radar. It was the first fighter to have an phased radar array. I dont know the russian plans for upgrading it in the near future but it is very dangerous to everything up to a F117/JSF at least.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join