It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery Painting of Christ?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 11:04 AM
link   
(moderator's note... moved here by Byrd)

My Aunt is a antique dealer. She was befriended by a couple from Europe a few years ago. They told her a story of how they had to sneak into Canada with all their belongings. They asked my Aunt to sell some paintings for them, as they were moving on to western Canada. My Aunt agreed and was preparing the paintings for showing. She found one painting to be odd looking. It was a painting of a Soldier. She checked the painting closer and found the eyes were not the soldiers but a painting underneath. Carefully my Aunt removed the top layer of paint, which she found to be acrylic and not oil. Once clear the painting revealed its true subject which stunned my Aunt, she states it's Jesus. When she showed what she had found to the owners they took one look at the painting and to my Aunts surprise left in a hurry, never to be heard of since. They didn't even leave a forwarding address for the money from the sale of all the paintings. The painting has been presented to local clergy who also are convinced it is of Jesus. A lot of them say they don't know but want to buy it from her. My Aunt would like to know if it is authentic before selling it.

The painting appears to have been cut out of its orignal frame. No signature can be found on what is left. It has been repaired, patches were professionaly done to preserve it. My Aunt seems to think its a painting of Jesus after his resurection.

There is a simular story of a painting of Jesus that was stolen during WWII.

Painting

Any opinions or suggestions would be welcome.

[edit on 17-6-2007 by Byrd]

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 11:10 AM
link   
For some reason I can't edit my post...

Here is the article of the recovered stolen painting mentioned about.

Recovered painting

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Posts can only be edited for a limited time. As for the painting, exactly what did you want our opinions about? Without knowing what time period its from or where it came from, it's hard to comment on this.

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 12:45 PM
link   
was 6 seconds between postings, so I am not sure on the time limit aspect.

We don't have any other information about this painting. As stated in the posting it was found under a painting. It appears very old. I do fear it will remain a mystery due to the fact the painters' signature is missing. I have searched a few online stolen art databases with no luck.

I was hoping someone on ATS may have a suggestionn as to where to search next or if there are agencies who can date the painting. Anything would help.

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Interesting story. Although I have to say looking at the picture of that painting, it gave me the creeps for some reason. Also I wonder why the owners would freak out and leave over a painting. Maybe there's something more to this...

[edit on 17-6-2007 by Ocelot]

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I did a quick google search and found these guys. Apparently they specialize in this kind of thing and they provide a free consultation, they only need you to submit a high quality digital pic of the painting. Maybe you can start there and get some information.

About Art Experts

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I would say that to me this has the ring of an urban legend or hoax...

Let´s just look at it:

Your aunt is an antique dealer and she recently got an assignment to sell some paintings for a couple which may or may not have been illegal immigrants to Canada. They give her a couple of paintings to sell for them so they can get some cash.

Now she sees that one of the paintings seems to be painted over *another* painting, which btw is not that strange, even Picasso reused canvases:

arts.guardian.co.uk...

And this is where it starts to sound like a hoax or Urban Legend...

Without even asking the clients (this is the only explanation I can see on how you retold the story "....the owners took one look at the painting and...left in a hurry...) she strips off the upper layer of paint. What antique dealer would do that to paintings she has been assigned to sell? For whatever I know she could have ruined the whole thing.

"Hi clients and potential illegal immigrants to Canada, this is Aunt whatever-my-name-is speaking, you know the antique dealer to whom you left some paintings to sell.

Ummm...I tried to remove some paint from a canvas and now I accidently ruined the whole thing. I hope you are not mad at me?"

And besides, this isnt something you do on your lunchhour either from what I understand and probably you must be an experienced curator to pull this off so you dont ruin the painting.

But lets play with the thought that your aunt indeed is a skilled curator in her sparetime and she just doesnt care that the painting isnt hers, but the clients.
She removes the upper layer then and - lo and behold! - there is another painting underneath. And your aunt (and the local clergy, which of course is a worldrenowed antique painting expert) swears that this must be a painting of Jesus after the resurrection?

There was no signature and it had been previously repaired and now she asks if it is authentic? Authentic? What does she mean authentic? if it had been a copy of some great Master or in a Master style, the question would have been valid (Like in "Is this an authentic Picasso? Is this an authentic Da Vinci?") but now it is not, since the painting was without signature and you dont mention that it was painted in a certain Master style.

So this sounds to me just too much of an Urban Legend or hoax, probably the latter...

// ka

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 01:06 PM
link   
You need a fine arts appraiser, one specializing in paintings and religious themes. Your best bet, for a qualified and honest appraiser, would be to get a referal from a museum; preferalbly a large municipal or regional museum.

As an antique dealer, I'm somewhat suprised that your aunt had not thought of this route. I would have assumed that she would have many conatcts with appraisers of various specialities, given her the nature of her business. But one never knows, I guess.

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ocelot
I did a quick google search and found these guys. Apparently they specialize in this kind of thing and they provide a free consultation, they only need you to submit a high quality digital pic of the painting. Maybe you can start there and get some information.

About Art Experts

Thank You Ocelot I sent them a email.

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by kickass
So this sounds to me just too much of an Urban Legend or hoax, probably the latter...

// ka

Thank you for your input my Aunt who is 82, will get a kick out of your drama.

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rhain

Originally posted by kickass

// ka

Thank you for your input my Aunt who is 82, will get a kick out of your drama.

*LoL*

But the way you told it, it sure sounds like a hoax, my friend.
But tell me, is she also a trained curator?

// ka

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Had to sneak into Canada? From Europe?

Sounds like they might be art thieves or fences for stolen relics.......Interpol has a site for stolen works, they even have a more complete list on CD that they'll send you, you might check there.

www.interpol.int...

If she has any of the other paintings left, or can track down the buyers of some of them, perhaps a closer look would turn up something else?? If you're near a reputable gallery or museum, they might have research capability to help.

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rhain
Thank You Ocelot I sent them a email.

No problem. Just keep us updated if you learn anything else about the painting. Now you got me curious.

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Exactly...I didn't press her hard for details and my wording of how they came to Canada was my own, and ment their belongings were hush hush entering Canada not them. My Aunt said they have been here for a number of years but I don't believe they are in Canada illegally. They did not want take the paintings out west with them. It has been 2 years since she talked to them, they have not contacted her. How many painting there are I didn't ask, my Aunt is quite religious and is focused on this painting. She asked me to email the Antique Road Show for her to ask their opinion.

I thought the members here would enjoy the mystery of it.

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Interesting stuff, rhain, and I will also be keeping an eye out for what you have to report back with

I have to agree with Ocelot though - something about that painting is a bit creepy. Not sure if it is the photograph (hopefully you could shed some light on this) or if it really does look that way. I don't know if it is the mournful look on his face or if the "shadow" behind him almost makes it look like there is movement or what.

Perhaps it is just the fact it's nothing but a head that looks dead, but not dead... I don't even know what I am trying to say here but it's just something about it from the photograph

Do you notice anything about it when you look at the actual painting? Have you asked your Aunt many questions on what else she thinks of the physical object (not just strangeness but the style, brushstrokes, etc) rather than the subject of the image?

Good luck in your hunt!

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Man that was a creepy painting.. And because of that, I can't really believe that is depicts Jesus..

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 04:42 PM
link   
wow, very strange indeed. I'm going to agree that it is a depiction of Jesus. Kinda interesting, both eyes in the painting are facing different directions, heh

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 04:42 PM
link   
what does the whole canada thing have to do with anything?
anyway the picture looks cool. jesus looks all bummed out .

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 04:50 PM
link   
That is a white anglo saxon depiction of Christ. Wow look at his crazy eyes, and why would you think it is after his crusifiction? Because of all of the bloody stains around the creepy face? Dont you think if he had asended to heaven and returned he would look somewhat more bright and angelic even happy? I thnk it a gross picture that some no body painted and gave a way to some one that did not like the picture so they covered it with another picture. Sorry but that picture is awful! Cover it back up!

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 04:59 PM
link   
It appears to be a painting of a "Mandylion" -- a type of religious artwork that features the face of Jesus on a piece of cloth.
en.wikipedia.org...

It's also (apparently) called a Vernicle. There's similar images here:
www.icon-art.info...

Stylistically, I think it's the romantic style which would date the painting to the 1800's

[edit on 17-6-2007 by Byrd]

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join