It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is 'global warming' a farce?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2007 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I'm not sure if I believe in the global warming theories. Are We creating global warming or is a natural process that Our Earth has made several times?
Let Me add, that just in case I use cloth shopping bags, walk My kids to school, recycle, etc.... My question is this- Do You think Our govt. is using the 'global warming' theory to scare Us and possibly use it as an excuse to block out Our sun? How possible/probable is this? I know that there have been talks/treaties pertaining to such ideas which include sending small mirrors or particles in space to lessen the warming. How long would it take before someone decides that the sun needs to be blocked out completely in order to 'save' Us? What are Your thoughts and opinions on this?

Peace. K*

posted on Jun, 8 2007 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Well I dont know but my strawberries are at least 4 weeks early this year and I have a treefull of ripe cherries which are early too!

posted on Jun, 8 2007 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I think global waring is trying to make us for get about some of the other pollution going in to our air. And what ever happened to that hole in the ozone? does that having anything to do with global warming. I thought global warming was greenhouse gas.

posted on Jun, 8 2007 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThaDewd
I think global waring is trying to make us for get about some of the other pollution going in to our air.

you know, it would reduce overall pollution if we followed the kyoto protocols AND it would help with global warming...

And what ever happened to that hole in the ozone?

it's repairing itself because we took the steps to ban the chemicals that cause it.

does that having anything to do with global warming.

not at all, though it does have to do with old air conditioners and refrigerators

I thought global warming was greenhouse gas.

you are correct, it has to do with many greenhouse gases

speaking of green: did you know that global warming is causing greenland to actually become more green? huge chunks of ice are coming down off of it now.

posted on Jun, 8 2007 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Demetre
How long would it take before someone decides that the sun needs to be blocked out completely in order to 'save' Us? What are Your thoughts and opinions on this?

Yeah... I don't see that ever happening as the world and almost all of its inhabitants would cease to exist without the sun. We would be left with no food because our crops require sun, and the animals we eat require plants. In addition, temperatures would plummet and we'd enter a new Ice Age, I believe.

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
you know, it would reduce overall pollution if we followed the kyoto protocols AND it would help with global warming...

Well, assuming your opinion were even true, it would probably lead to the collapse of much of our economy as well as a leap in unemployment numbers. It's possibly something we can work into over time, but it's not realistic for us to just join the Kyoto deal tomorrow. Especially when countries like China and India will be contributing far more pollution than us, if they aren't already.

you are correct, it has to do with many greenhouse gases

Did you know that the methane produced by cattle alone is many times more than that caused by humans? Why aren't people protesting to prevent cow farts?

Anyway, I'm far from convinced that humans are the sole cause of this recent "warming". And anyone who says that they are 100% certain that humans are responsible is being disingenuous, in my opinion. The hysteria we are experiencing now over global warming is the same thing we experienced in the 60's when people were screaming that we were heading for a sudden and major ice age. And just like today, believers were calling for drastic measures in order to prevent it. Imagine if we had believed all the hype then? This was front page stuff, it was on the covers of Time and Newsweek-type publications.

The bottom line is that we as humans certainly need to do a better job caring for our planet. Regardless of whether or not we are causing the planet to dramatically warm, we need to make changes. We need to reduce consumption and waste. We need to reduce emissions as well as our dependence on fossil fuels. And maybe we do need a global warming scare in order to give us a kick in the butt before we cause a legitimate catastrophe.

If you really want to investigate the issue then you need to look past all of the b.s. You need to view the evidence and the figures on BOTH SIDES, and make a decision for yourself. You need to realize that our planet is supposedly 6 billion years old, and that we have only been able to record weather and temperature patterns for a very tiny fraction of that time. With that in mind, at this point, I think it is impossible to say that humans are responsible for this apparant "global warming." As many horrifying figures as I've seen come from the pro-global warming side, I've seen far more reassuring figures coming out of the anti-global warming side, for lack of better descriptions for the two major positions. Most people just aren't seeing these figures and seeing these views because we are dominated by a liberal-leaning media as well as a very active and energized pro-global warming base. But the figures are out there, you just need to make the effort to find them and make a decision for yourself.

Now here's what I just can't stand... If you question any aspect of global warming, or question whether or not humans are responsible for it (as I do), you are labeled as a "denier" by the other side. One prominent proponent of the theory went as far to say that we are worse than Holocaust deniers, if you can believe that! Just because you question the cause of something and you want to know all of the facts available doesn't mean that you are a denier. The pro-side does this to marginalize anyone who doesn't buy everything that they're selling. And things like this are all-too-common these days, especially in politics. If you're in favor of doing something to change the social security system, then you're accused of wanting to "privatize social security". If you're against affirmative action, you're a "racist". It's about time we abandon such petty tactics as these only undermine progress, especially when dealing with such a monumental issue as global warming and the involvement of humanity in it.

posted on Jun, 8 2007 @ 06:54 PM
link   
If ozone hole is repairing itself because we stopped using bad CFCs why is the hole hitting record high lately?

Pollutions should be controlled, however claiming that CO2 is a pollution and making everyone think CO2 is killing our planet is a joke.

I suggest you stop following the hype at look up some critical analysis on the whole issue. Whole "manmade global warming" is a political agenta gone horrible wrong, started in Great Britain by Margaret Thatcher back in the days when they wanted to pump up their nuclear programs when they had problems with coal worker unions.

Its not like we havent gone through this before, back in the 1970 it was iceage and back then they wanted to melt the icecaps and stockpile food. Now they are telling us we need to stop using CO2 and stop breathing or the icecaps will melt and flood us all. Best part is back then they told us heating up would be a good thing so we shouldnt worry about over doing it abit, after all we were heading for an iceage. Also they told us if we wouldnt act right now we would have floods, draught, massive hurricanes, storms, freezing and hunger. Only difference to today I guess we wont have to worry about freezing.

Oh and back then the reason was the sun and now... now its the CO2. Why is that? Well simple, you cant make the sun our fault so we would have to repair our horrible crime to planet earth, or else!

posted on Jun, 8 2007 @ 07:07 PM
link   
If you read up on the science and try to get your own understanding of the issues, then, no. If you think going to some concert's going to fix things, then, well, maybe. What ever happened to good old fashioned pollution? You know, the stuff we all make every day? Oh, and the ozone hole ain't getting better.

www.theozonehole.com...

posted on Jun, 8 2007 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Demetre
I'm not sure if I believe in the global warming theories. Are We creating global warming or is a natural process that Our Earth has made several times?

A bit of both?

new topics

top topics

join