It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Books

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 02:10 AM
link   
I was thinking back to my highschool days, and I remember reading such horrible books. The shakespeare wasn't bad, and neither were a few other things. However, when subjected to things such as "Cue for Treason" and whatnot, it was like putting an intellectual slug through my stomach. I cna understand the need for fiction, but does it have to be so absolutely horrible? Books like that turn kids of reading unbelievably fast, and I don't think they provide any real... well, content or value. I was thinking.... and I thought up some books that everyone should read before they leave highschool. these books, in my mind, promote independent thinking and provide and excellent general basis for free thought:

1. The Art of War by Sun Tzu - It's not very long, and it provides practical advice as to conflict and the nature of conflict.

2. The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli - This shows statecraft in a can. A good read about politics, which not many care about anymore.

3. 1984 by George Orwell- Fiction, but a good view of what might be.

4. Animal Farm by George Orwell - Once again, a parable about politics.

5. Brave new World by Aldous Huxley - Same as 1984.

Now that we're done with the obvious picks, let's move on to some more obscure titles:

6. The Mask of Command by John Keegan- a good solid historical look at the nature of command as well as the methods behind it.

7. The Art of Worldly Wisdom by Balthasar y Gracian - Simple, sound precepts for life.

8. The Republic by Plato- Another undervalued tome about basic sociological concepts.

9. Dune by Frank Herbert- Wheels within wheels, children...

Now, I realize that many of these are ratehr advanced reads for todays dull and electronics addled masses, btu I think by the time that anyone reaches the end of highschool, they should have these books under their belt. Hey, even I can be an optimist. Any other suggestions/ comments?

DE

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 02:16 AM
link   
I have one hard and fast rule regarding reading material. I DO NOT READ FICTION.

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 02:18 AM
link   
I got suspended for writing a book report over 1984 my junior year in highschool (2000). Apparently, 1984 is still on the banned book list. They were also impressed with my report over Catcher in the Rye, cause it was still banned as well. Ironically, both were still on the library shelves. I agree with your recommendation of Plato's Republic and Dune, they will make people think.

My recommendations

In heavily prejudiced areas, students should read To Kill a Mockingbird. It's a pretty good example of racism and corruption in the justice system.

I also feel that everyone should read a history book from another country. The Germans have a completely different story to tell about WWII, so do the British. It makes a person think about the propaganda spread by the government to the school kids. I love the smell of ethnocentricism.

Maybe some classic stuff to, like Hawthonre or Poe. It's some dark stuff, but it's good fiction.

[Edited on 6-1-2004 by kaoszero]

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by kaoszero
I got suspended for writing a book report over 1984 my junior year in highschool (2000). Apparently, 1984 is still on the banned book list. They were also impressed with my report over Catcher in the Rye, cause it was still banned as well. Ironically, both were still on the library shelves. I agree with your recommendation of Plato's Republic and Dune, they will make people think.

My recommendations

In heavily prejudiced areas, students should read To Kill a Mockingbird. It's a pretty good example of racism and corruption in the justice system.

I also feel that everyone should read a history book from another country. The Germans have a completely different story to tell about WWII, so do the British. It makes a person think about the propaganda spread by the government to the school kids. I love the smell of ethnocentricism.

Maybe some classic stuff to, like Hawthonre or Poe. It's some dark stuff, but it's good fiction.

[Edited on 6-1-2004 by kaoszero]

Agreed. However, TKAM is an eighth-grade read, tops. It's good, but we had it force fed to us in grade 10 or 11. Never read Catcher personally, but I hear it's good. So is anythign by Frank herbert , and DOuglas Adams is hilarious as well as philosophical. You want to get kids hooked on philosophy, make them read that book and have them analyze it.

As for you, groingrinder, I think that people should read fiction in order to expand horizons and force creative thinking. However, less than half my reading list is fiction, and all fo it either parable or metaphor.

DE

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 02:29 AM
link   
TKAM is a very easy read, I agree. A select few of us in Novels class had it shoved down our throats in 11th along with Rebecca and Flowers For Algernon. Flowers For Algernon actually wasn't a bad read, though.

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 02:31 AM
link   
*shudder* My sympathies for you, abbil. Any other suggestions for books childrne should read before they leave highschool?

DE

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 02:32 AM
link   
If I could recommend one book I have read recently, I would highly advise everyone to read Ken Kesey's "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest".

Its a great pc of literary work and has some very interesting twists in it.

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dreamz
If I could recommend one book I have read recently, I would highly advise everyone to read Ken Kesey's "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest".

Its a great pc of literary work and has some very interesting twists in it.

I concur. That is a good piece of literature that most people NEED to read.

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Good light reads (high school and later lit classes):

The Handmaid's Tale (Margaret Atwood)
Lolita (Vladimir Nabokov)
Clockwork Orange (Anthony Burgess)

Since when has 1984 (or any George Orwell) been on any banned list?????

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Nice thread Deus. You covered some really interesting books, and I'd like to add just thoses:

"Morning of the Magicians" - Louis Powell & Jacques Bergier

"The Celestine Prophecy" - James Redfield

"Esoterism through History" - Serge Hutin

"Worlds in collision" - Immanuel Velikovsky

"Hyperion" & "L'�chiequier du mal" - Dan Simmons
(couldn't find the english translation of the second title)

MaskedAvatar

If you condiser "A clockwork Orange" light-reading, I'd seriously love to know what other kind of stuff you read and consider heavy-reading... (you can U2U if you don't feel like posting it here)

[Edited on 6-1-2004 by m0rbid]

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 05:39 PM
link   
MA--I attended a backwards little highschool in rural Iowa, and at that school, if it didn't teach good American morals and support the Bible, it wasn't supposed to be read by my school's students. That's all fine and good, except I went to a public highschool.

For some dumbassed reason, they had 1984 and Catcher in the Rye banned.

Also, mad props for recommending Lolita and Clockwork Orange. Awesome reading material.

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 05:39 PM
link   
The only reason we have to read crappy books is simply because they are there... Most schools can hardly afford classroom books much less fiction. Besides that, I have hardly read any books this year required or not. Last year I was heavy into reading.

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Actually, I thought of a few more.

Notes from the Underground And Other Short Stories- Dostoyefsky

A Hitchiker's Guide to The Galaxy Trilogy - Philosophical hilarity

The Santaroga Barrier by Frank Herbert

Great books, all of them.

DE

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 09:07 PM
link   
At my highschool we read several of those books. Though several of them were dealt with in Philosophy class, which not all schools in Ontario have, much less, all schools in North America.

We did Animal Farm in gr. 10 Advanced English, 1984 and BNW in Gr 12 Advanced English, and The Art of War and The republic in OAC Philosophy, and also Notes From Underground by Dostoevsky.

You reccommend some excellent books.

One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest is an awesome book, as is The Handmaids Tale and The Celestine Prophecy.

A book that should be read in Grade School is called "The Giver", it's an excellent book, sort of like 1984 or Brave New World, but in a context that can be understodd by a younger person, as it's through the eyes of a child. It's a wonderful book, and it's by Lois Lowry.

Another good book with a similar theme is "This Perfect Day" By Ira Levin. It's an awesome book. Also, "Anthem" by Ayn Rand. It would be perfect. It's only about 90 pages, but it's excellent.

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 09:18 PM
link   

I got suspended for writing a book report over 1984 my junior year in highschool (2000). Apparently, 1984 is still on the banned book list.

Banned books ??? Where the fook do you live ? - Nazi Germany ???

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 09:37 PM
link   
The Illuminatus! Trilogy - Robert Shea & Robert Anton Wilson. A novel, but one that opened the way for serious researchers of Illuminati manipulation.

I am me, I am free - David Icke (Actually, anything by Icke is usually a good read). This is before his Reptilian theory took off.

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant - Stephen Donaldson. A dark definitely not-PC fantasy novel in the style of LOTR. A double trilogy.

Jack & Zena - Jack & Zena Briggs
A moving book portraying the turmoil of a mixed-race marriage.

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThePook

I got suspended for writing a book report over 1984 my junior year in highschool (2000). Apparently, 1984 is still on the banned book list.

Banned books ??? Where the fook do you live ? - Nazi Germany ???

Worse, rural fu�king Iowa. If it's not supporting the bible or the constitution, these people won't have anything to do with it.

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Worse, rural fu�king Iowa. If it's not supporting the bible or the constitution, these people won't have anything to do with it.

That's not going to help the kids get anywhere in life, they wont be able to think for themselves at all!

I suddenly have a new respect for MY school....

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 11:54 PM
link   
ThePook

Anything by Robert Anton Wilson, altho it might seem like madness to some, others will find the brilliant work inside it.

I also recommend Principia Discordia, a fun but still mind openning read.

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Again with the list of books:
1. Surely You Must Be Joking Mr. Feynman & Adventures Of A Curious Character - By Richard P. Feynman
2. Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?(The book "Blade Runner" was loosely based on) - By Phillip K. Dick
3. 1984 & Animal Farm Staples for any library

There's more but I can't think of them right now so, I'll be back.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join