It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Books

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 04:29 AM
link   
I hadn't read any fiction for probably 20 years, until one of my ex-coworkers wrote a novel. I read it out of courtesty to him. It was interesting, enjoyable, and pretty entertaining. However in the back of my mind, the time spent reading it was not really productive. (I could be researching, I could be making money, I could be....) Its the same situation when I have to attend sporting events or office parties, in order to "put in a showing etc". However these types of events do indirectly help with the monetary side of things, as compared to reading fiction.

Getting back to the subject at hand, we had forced reading in both high school and college lit classes. I'm not really sure of the value irrespective of the material. I do remember that we did read a lot of titles as mentioned previously.

For some it was enjoyable, and I'd say more power to them. For the many others such as myself, it was something that needed to be done with the least possible effort, yet still get a decent grade. The one thing it did do for me was to resolve not to read fiction again unless absolutely necessary. I'm pretty sure that was not the intent of the high school teachers or U professors.

Just another point of view from an older scientist

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by kaoszero

Worse, rural fu�king Iowa. If it's not supporting the bible or the constitution, these people won't have anything to do with it.

banning books supports the constitution?

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 01:48 AM
link   
what about:

The Metamorphosis by Frank Kafka
The Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie
Paradise Lost by Milton
Paradise Regained by Milton
The Inferno by Dante

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 02:02 AM
link   
History non-fiction mostly:

Battle Cry of Freedom---James McPherson---Probably the best 1 volume book on the American Civil War, looked at from all angles.

Lincoln and His Generals---T. Harry Williams---Another great read for Civil War buffs. Good insight into the relationship between the leaders of the nation at the time

The Army of the Potomac (3 volumes)---Bruce Catton---Exceptional read and history of the Union army and its leaders from 1861-1865.

Carl Sandburg's Abraham Lincoln (3 volumes)---Carl Sandbrug---Great read offering new information and insignt into Ole' Abe and his personal and political history

Napoleon---Felix Markham---A condesnsed by thourough history of the greatest general who ever lived.

Not exactly the most thrilling works, I know, but as you can see, I'm a huge war history and (and more specifically) American Civil War buff. The above books thourouhgly engrossed me while reading them and I put them down with a much better understanding of the history.

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 08:44 AM
link   
I'm from scotland and have to say some of the books in school here are great.
animal farm
To kill a mocking bird
one flew over the cuckoos nest
The outsider

Were some of the books we had to read. Other optional books were by some great authors including Marcel Proust, Aldous Huxley, Franz Kafka Edgar Allan Poe.

There were the times when we had to study classics but we didn't mind them too much because we knew that we would soon have a decent read again.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join