It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HUGE HOLE on Mars Surface! Deep Abyss?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by yuefo
Amazing! Not only the size, but the fact that there are at least 6 more of them. I wonder, is there any parallel to a feature such as this on earth? I've never seen anything like it.

Actually there is a rumor is washington D. C. of a neverending Hole. A few cavers claim to have seen it/ tried to explore it. I will find more about this and post here.

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Now all we need to do is just send another rover/explorer down into that hole and see what's up...that would be news-worthy too!

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 11:12 AM
link   
So thats where the aliens are!! ok, im going in, whos coming with me!!!

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cydonian Priest

Originally posted by yuefo

Actually there is a rumor is washington D. C. of a neverending Hole. A few cavers claim to have seen it/ tried to explore it. I will find more about this and post here.

Mel's Hole?

www.seattlechatclub.org...

(format edit)

[edit on 23-9-2007 by Jbird]

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Looks to me like an optical artifact. The kind you get when you over blow the contrast with a black and white camera. The computer in the camera doesn't know what to do with the bright image, so it turns it black on that spot. I'll try and find one of my analogue cameras and post an image of what I'm talking about. I'm curious as what exact high contrast camera is on that probe.

As a test, take a pen light and shine into a non digital camera. If the spot that is the pen light turns black to the camera....there you go. Even that raises another large question. What the hell is so bright on the surface of mars that it blinds a video camera?

If its a hole, then holy spots on mars batman!

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by aceace
Here's your explanation.

www.youtube.com...

homepage.mac.com...

You can tell it's an average person doing the voice for that youtube video. He doesn't really sound like he actually knows what he's talking about, sort of like he's reading it all off a sheet.

Anyways, haven't I seen an image of a hole 5 times the size of the OP's image?

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 12:05 PM
link   
My depth perception is taking a dive on this one....

Is that something on the surface? Or an artifact between the camera and surface? My opinion....its something bright that crossed the field of view, somewhere between the surface and the satellite, and the camera couldn't handle the focus or exposure and that is the result.

[edit on 26-5-2007 by MrPenny]

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Some of those pics actually look like shadows being cast off of some round anomoly. I'm not saying they are, but thats what I see.
Could be a cave though?

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 12:12 PM
link   
well. This settles many questions I had in my mind......

Like, if Mars had an underground population how do they surface?
AND.......do they have space craft, and if so WHERE do they dock them ect....
AND how do they travel to the surface if need be?

These big old 'holes' would put a positive slant on those questions methinks.

Awesome information! Thanks for posting this

A base jumpers holy grail
no doubt.
"Geronimo!!!"

[edit on 26-5-2007 by theRiverGoddess]

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 12:26 PM
link   
BBC news did a report on this back in March 2007. INteresting stuff, take a look at their report here

Also:

Space.com

Sciencedaily.com

Astrobiology Magazine

Spaceflight Now

Seems these reports are all over the place, just google 'Caves on Mars' and there are loads of pages on the internet.

What I wouldn't give to have a look down there...

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I think the answer is quite obvious.

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 03:05 PM
link   
My guess it that the object is a classified military satelite or probe that crashed on the surface and they don't want it to be seen. Notice the bright northern section of the dot where the object possibly disturbed the top soil before coming to a stop.

jra

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 03:17 PM
link   
The image in the link from the original post looks like it's been edited (sharpening and contrast adjustments). Thus making the edges of the hole look a bit more odd. Here's the link to the original from the HiRISE Team. I'm currently downloading the 400mb jp2 file, to see how it looks in a much higher resolution. I can crop it out and post it here as well for those who don't want to download 400mb.

Originally posted by eagle32
Assuming that the picture I show is correct and that they are hills and mounds rather than being craters then Id just like to throw something out there.

Those are most definitely craters. Hills wouldn't catch the light so strongly along the base like that unless the sun was very low on the horizon, but then you'd see long stretched out shadows coming off the hills. You can also tell by how the shadow falls on the surface and that it's a concave shape. You can really tell when you look at the small crater. It's almost completely filled with shadow. If it were a small hill, it wouldn't be like that.

Originally posted by lostinspace
My guess it that the object is a classified military satelite or probe that crashed on the surface and they don't want it to be seen.

If that were the case, then why not just withhold releasing the image? Wouldn't that be a heck of a lot more logical?

EDIT: Never mind, the site I linked to already has a cutout of the hole and full res. hiroc.lpl.arizona.edu... You can see a lot more detail around the edge and it doesn't look like a painted black hole, like some were thinking.

[edit on 26-5-2007 by jra]

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Probably just more red Martian dust and huge Martian boulders.. Actually it looks like a fake hole. Someone else mentioned that it appears to be something drawn in MS paint. Thats what it looks like to me, it looks like it was just blotted on there with no intentions of even trying to make it look real.

Originally posted by bestideayet
THIS is so freakin cool! I wonder what lies inside?!

www.planetary.org...

[edit on 5/26/2007 by Kr0n0s]

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by eagle32
Assuming that the picture I show is correct and that they are hills and mounds rather than being craters then Id just like to throw something out there.

if you go to the link there is an image further down with 7 of these holes which show the solar illumination to be in the opposite direction as indicated in this picture, meaning the dark patches are not shadows

in fact looking again, this IS one of those 6 images, you have just covered up the indicators of solar illumination and direction of north with another image.

if you go to the original link you can see that you have left the 'x', indicating north, from the original image on this image.

[edit on 26-5-2007 by owzitgarn]

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 04:12 PM
link   
So do you think they're suggesting anything by giving the caves female names "which they refer to by the names Dena, Chloe, Wendy, Annie, Abbey, Nikki, and Jeanne"?

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 04:14 PM
link   

*larger:

original image source

I am particularly interested in spectrometric analyses regarding temperature emanating from hole - it should be different from the surface , and constant - due to no sun heating...is it warmer or colder?

Astonishing how the walls are almost perfectly vertical !?

[edit on 26-5-2007 by blue bird]

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 04:14 PM
link   
i think it could be a hole from somethin hittin the cooled lava and braking the crust .

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by blue bird

*larger:

original image source

I am particularly interested in spectrometric analyses regarding temperature emanating from hole - it should be different from the surface , and constant - due to no sun heating...is it warmer or colder?

Astonishing how the walls are almost perfectly vertical !?

[edit on 26-5-2007 by blue bird]

looks a plateau were the object and everything else on it was photo editted out just like cia and fbi text on aliens.

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 05:18 PM
link   
This is an old news !

Those who are telling it as a MS Paint job/camera issue/hills/coverup etc etc... need to learn about google

These entrances to the caves are really there. I'm giving the first result from google, if you are so lazy...

www.space.com...

These are fascinating things, but most probably a natural phenomena. These are called sinkholes here on earth.
This means that there is a hollow below the surface, a cave, and some heavy rock in the ceiling of which fell down, taking some of the surrounding area with it. So the circular shape and sharp edges.

On earth, these get quickly filled up with water, or erode away fast, but they last on mars. There are many such caves elsewhere on other planets too.

[edit on 26/5/2007 by rocksolidbrain]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join