It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HUGE HOLE on Mars Surface! Deep Abyss?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 05:47 PM
link   
It doesnt matter what it is. it only matters what you think it is, what you want it to be.

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Man give you guys an easily explainable feature and you lot can spin it out to infer never ending holes, proof of alien cities and all sorts of crazy stuff.

It's quite obvious that a meteorite impacted the roof of a giant lava tunnel. There are example on earth of huge lava tunnels on the flanks of extinct volcanoes.

Definitely there does seem to be a large cavern beneath the surface, but so many of the explanations offered are hocus.

As for the other debate about illumination of craters in the photo marked "A" first posted by Eagle32, he has construed the shapes to be convex and put the light arrow from the wrong side.

In that photo the bright crescents are actually inside craters and the shadows on the opposite sides are inside the shaded sides of craters.

Of course the photos are whatever people want them to be because they are really like ink spots used in psycho analysis. They passively expose the psychosis of the viewer.

Lava tunnels are hoever quite logical explanations because they can be observed here on earth.

[edit on 26-5-2007 by sy.gunson]

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by anakim
it is a dot. it looks more like whatever was underneath has been blackened out with ms paint. its took dark for the rest of the picture. can somebody please search for another camera angle of that area?

LOL I am pretty sure that NASA does NOT use MSPAINT to do their photo editing, and no there is no other angle of that area. There MIGHT be an image from the previous spaceship (MGS) of that same area but I haven't found it yet

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheExaminer I'll try and find one of my analogue cameras and post an image of what I'm talking about. I'm curious as what exact high contrast camera is on that probe.

Well I am quite sure its a little better than your old analog camera...
It certainly costs more...

Here is the data on the imagery system...

HiRISE Imagery Experiment

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Sorry that was actually my fault, I caused the holes on mars. See what happens when I get a hold of a huge nuclear laser? Just kidding of course.

That looks odd. Like a meteor impact that has no regular crater hole. or perhaps its a geyser?

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by IgnoranceIsntBlisss
So do you think they're suggesting anything by giving the caves female names "which they refer to by the names Dena, Chloe, Wendy, Annie, Abbey, Nikki, and Jeanne"?

Ummm yeah sure they are... The Seven Sisters The Pleiades

Its also amusing that with all the guess work going on, no one actually mentioned what they say about the hole...

This is not an impact crater as it lacks a raised rim or ejecta. What's amazing is that we cannot see any detail in the shadow! The cutout shows this dark spot and a version that is "stretched" to best see the darkest area, yet we still cannot see details except noise (1380x782, 1 MB).

The HiRISE camera is very sensitive and we can see details in almost any shadow on Mars, but not here. We also cannot see the deep walls of the pit. The best interpretation is that this is a collapse pit into a cavern or at least a pit with overhanging walls. We cannot see the walls because they are either perfectly vertical and extremely dark or, more likely, overhanging.

The pit must be very deep to prevent detection of the floor from skylight, which is quite bright on Mars.

Originally posted by rocksolidbrain
On earth, these get quickly filled up with water, or erode away fast, but they last on mars. There are many such caves elsewhere on other planets too.

Please post some links to these other caves, thanks

[edit on 26-5-2007 by zorgon]

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by blue bird
I am particularly interested in spectrometric analyses regarding temperature emanating from hole - it should be different from the surface , and constant - due to no sun heating...is it warmer or colder?

Yes I too would like to see that... this one is worth watching for developments

What I find intriguing is the rest of these "holes" Anyone noticed that they all look about the same size?

Maybe they are the holes where the atmosphere will come out when we turn on that machine buried on Mars

Astonishing how the walls are almost perfectly vertical !?

Well that one in Guatemala looks pretty vertical too. [BTW nice post on that one]

[edit on 26-5-2007 by zorgon]

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 09:55 PM
link   
What is interesting is the compilation picture that shows several of these holes.

Some of these holes are near other impact craters, which is interesting because if this hole was created by an a meteorite striking the surface over a cooled lava or something like that, as some have suggested, then why didnt the impacts around the hole create the same thing?

It would be cool if NASA crashed a probe into center of the hole, so that the probe would descend as far into the hole as possible without crashing into the walls (If there are walls)
Where are all the hollow planet theorists that I know are on here? lol

[edit: oversized image]

[edit on 27-5-2007 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I am really starting to think Geysers. they are naturally occurring holes in the earth.

Here is a look at old faithful in Yellowstone park

Compare that image with the ones above and you will see what I am talking about. A geothermic expulsion could have formed those holes a long time ago and the area could have gone extinct at a later point.

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by IgnoranceIsntBlisss
So do you think they're suggesting anything by giving the caves female names "which they refer to by the names Dena, Chloe, Wendy, Annie, Abbey, Nikki, and Jeanne"?

I declare this craters name to be Tabatha!

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000

Originally posted by yuefo
Amazing! Not only the size, but the fact that there are at least 6 more of them. I wonder, is there any parallel to a feature such as this on earth? I've never seen anything like it.

Yeah there are places like this all over the planet and they are usually filled in with Water.
There is one lake in Ontario that is something like 850 feet deep. There are of course much deeper ones in the Pacific.
And all you need to do is drive down any New York City street for a couple miles before you get swallowed up by one.

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by fiftyfifty
Wow, i hope we get some kind of probe down there in the near future. Theres something similar on earth.. its fairly new and a bit smaller

Big Hole!

On a first viewing; it looked like a hole. To dispel the myths about image altercation: light that's absorbed completely results in a black image on the photo. After reading the posts; and googling sinkhole, I have to come to the agreement that it is a sinkhole.

From the sinkhole images obtained by HiRISE the website in question made the link to caves. From this picture one can easily bring the subject of water back into question; as water, caves and sinkholes are interrelated entities. Water did exist on Mars and the sinkhole images are a result of a decreasing water table.

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Yeah, but a Sink hole 100 meters wide!
That would be something to behold in person.

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 11:43 PM
link   
New Zealand's biggest vertical shaft ... Harwood's Hole

www.nsg.org.nz...

The photo posted above is a helicopter flying over a glacier in Iceland where a volcano became active.

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 04:16 AM
link   
If this were a massive underground cavern that a meteorite punched a hole into it could contain a lot of water. NASA was saying a few weeks ago if you melted the ice in the poles of Mars the water would cover the surface 11 ft deep. Photo evidence show the poles recede back to f all during the summer, the water must go somewhere

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Sinkholes form in limestone. The holes imaged above formed in lava so they are most likely lava tubes.

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Originally posted by rocksolidbrain
On earth, these get quickly filled up with water, or erode away fast, but they last on mars. There are many such caves elsewhere on other planets too.

Please post some links to these other caves, thanks

Here's an ATS thread titled 'Diving the Worlds Deepest Cenote'

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Links within the OP will show a blog outlining discoveries.

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Why only concentrate on bottomless holes? Here's an explanation..

It's just a huge pool of black oil! I'm serious guys. If there's oil on Earth, why not on Mars? Can it be disproved?

And that is why one can't see the inside edges to any depth which would have otherwise been visible due to ambient light/reflections etc.

Now, why is Bush concentrating his energies on the mission to Mars? No prizes for guessing!!

Cheers!

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 09:46 AM
link   
No mike, it aint oil. Blow the picture up and change it to a negative. It looks like water in them thar holes.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join