It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada School Shooting, Teen Critically injured in Toronto

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Teen Critically injured in Toronto, Canada School Shooting

www.cbc.ca

A 14-year-old boy has been rushed to hospital in critical condition after a shooting at a school in Toronto's north end.

Police were called at 2:38 p.m. ET Wednesday to C.W. Jefferys Collegiate Institute on Sentinel Road in the Finch Avenue West and Keele Street area. The injured teen is being treated at Sunnybrook Hospital.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 23-5-2007 by Realtruth]

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Well it's not just the US, Canada seems to be having problems also. In fact I was in Toronto last year in January, a gun fight broke out downtown in the streets. The Toronto police shut the entire area down and blocked the streets off. I hope this kid is OK.

www.cbc.ca
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 23-5-2007 by Realtruth]

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 04:13 PM
link   
My dad used to live in that area, he woke up one day to go get a paper and a coffee, only to have his coffee shop taped off because of a double homicide.

School shootings do happen, though they seem to happen on a lesser scale here in canada, and with less butchery IMO.

terribly sad state of affairs.

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I just spoke with someone I know in Toronto, the unofficial word is the child has died.
I am very sorry for the family if that is true.

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 04:16 PM
link   
thats rough, real rough. my condolenceses to the family.

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 04:24 PM
link   
That is very sad, I feel bad for him and his friends and family.

I hope that he has not died.

What's worse is that this, even though it did'nt even happen in America, will become further fodder
for both sides of the gun issue.

On a side note, the article said Collegiate Institute, does that mean this 14 year old was in College?

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by InSpiteOf
My dad used to live in that area, he woke up one day to go get a paper and a coffee, only to have his coffee shop taped off because of a double homicide.

School shootings do happen, though they seem to happen on a lesser scale here in canada, and with less butchery IMO.

terribly sad state of affairs.

Very untrue. The sad events In Montreal during march (feb maybe) illustrate we are just as prone to large school shootings as anyone else. We had the wave of copycats after columbine too (See: taber school shooting). This seems to be a problem that occurs all throughout North America.

However, I do not see any of these coming out of Europe/rest of the first world. Perhaps we just don't hear their news? Input from some Europeans would be welcome, as I am curious if this happens over there as well?

Toronto however, has been ripe with gun violence for years now, and it gets worse every week. Lax border control allows guns to flow North through the southern Ontario corridor, and the previous 15 years of "hey if you speak english or french you can come into Canada" policy, has littered Toronto with tons of young, unemployed refugees. Mainly fench speaking africans, that sadly sometimes have nowhere to turn but crime. At least the conservative government is attempting to go at this with judicial reform (stricter gun crime sentencing), as opposed to the liberal and NDP calls towards a beefed up national gun registry, which IMO is ridiculous, waste of money garbage heap that accomplishes nothing but wasting billions of dollars on farmers hunting weapons. 90% of gun crimes in Canada occur with illegal, unregistered, smuggled hand guns, so clearly we need to either stop these guns from entering, or discourage thier use as much as possible (ie no more slaps on the wrist).

Thoughts and prayers go out to the family of this young man whose life was unjustly taken.

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 05:07 PM
link   
So Michael Moore's film, "Bowling for Columbine", was completely wrong about people in Canada not having gun violence or feeling the need to lock their doors was an exaggeration or has things changed since then?

Any updates on what happened?

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by goose
So Michael Moore's film, "Bowling for Columbine", was completely wrong about people in Canada not having gun violence or feeling the need to lock their doors was an exaggeration or has things changed since then?

Nothing has changed. He was in Windsor I believe. The Jane/Finch/Keele neighborhood is the worst in Canada. I don't think it's African immigrants though, more like the Jamacian gangs. Once you get out of urban Toronto, you see little of this in Canada.

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Sadly, the boy has indeed passed.
Student Dies

And, although I haven't seen the movie in years, i would judge that as gross oversimplification. People in say, small towns, leave their doors unlocked just the same as someone in a small American town. In big cities, of course you lock your door when you leave, the same. Of course we have gun violence, but on a smaller scale, both per capita (though not as much as Moore would have you believe), but also, in total (duh - 40 million < 300 million). Since we only have a tenth of the American population, we hear a lot more when a shooting occurs. For example, a homicide in say New York would only make the news in the New York area, whereas a homicide in Toronto (although less often nowadays) will easily make the news all across Canada (our newsmen need stuff to talk about too).

Less people do have guns, but a very downplayed statistic (im sorry im too lazy to spend an hour digging, apologies) suggests that Canada has a much higher violent crime rate per capita than America (discluding gun crimes, ie-stabbings/beatings). This suggests we have a similiar amount of violence in our society, its just the fact that we cant go out and buy semi automatic sidearms which is leading to less deaths (You know what they always say, its a lot harder to kill somebody with a knife or your fists than it is to stand twenty feet away and pull a trigger).

Things are changing though, as with the illegal firearms trade growing, and our cities getting bigger and bigger, crime (both organized and non) will inevitably rise. This isn't "only happening in American cities", and Moore would like to lead you to believe.

Although on a side note, Moore does spectacularly capture world (especially American) stereotypes of Canada in his classic (and perhaps only bearable) comedy "Canadian Bacon", in which a team of Niagra Falls cops invade Canada (led by Canadian actor John Candy).

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Nothing has changed. He was in Windsor I believe. The Jane/Finch/Keele neighborhood is the worst in Canada. I don't think it's African immigrants though, more like the Jamacian gangs. Once you get out of urban Toronto, you see little of this in Canada.

On the contrary, it is in all large cities. Look at the africans in Montreal, and various asian gangs in Calgary, Edmonton, and Vancouver. Even the H.A. all over the map (although they are more subtle and much less reckless) All big cities in Canada have this; and i guarentee you all small towns west of Saskatchewan (alberta and BC) are ripe in the drug trade business (and no not just harmless bc reefer).

Look for things to heat up as Asian gangs in the west vie for H.A. territory, and the situation in Toronto to get no better. Vancouver seems to have avoided the gun problem so far (as a bigger city in canada), but a rash of recent shootings a few months ago suggests it may be on its way.

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by WuTang
On the contrary, it is in all large cities. Look at the africans in Montreal, and various asian gangs in Calgary, Edmonton, and Vancouver.

School shootings? This is a HUGE story in Canada due to the infrequency.

As to gun crime it drops dramatically once you get out of Toronto. You hear about gun crime almost daily in TO but what about Scarborough? Mississauga? Hamilton? Not much.

Of course the drug gangs are prevalent, that today's society. Asian, Jamacian, Greek(yup, them too) and H.A. The Angels are more selective but no less deadly, ask a member of Rock Machine, if you can find one alive.
There was collateral damage along the way in that war too though.

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

On the contrary, it is in all large cities. Look at the africans in Montreal, and various asian gangs in Calgary, Edmonton, and Vancouver.

School shootings? This is a HUGE story in Canada due to the infrequency.

As to gun crime it drops dramatically once you get out of Toronto. You hear about gun crime almost daily in TO but what about Scarborough? Mississauga? Hamilton? Not much.

Of course the drug gangs are prevalent, that today's society. Asian, Jamacian, Greek(yup, them too) and H.A. The Angels are more selective but no less deadly, ask a member of Rock Machine, if you can find one alive.
There was collateral damage along the way in that war too though.

Im not sure if you are aware of this, but Ontario, stay with me, is not, i repeat, NOT, not not not, not, NOT THE CENTRE OF THE UNIVERSE. Two Toronto suburbs and Steeltown do not count as the rest of Canada. When i lived in Calgary two years ago there was at least a gun shot a day, and often 3 or 4 shootings a week. Vancouver two months ago, three people were shot in the span of a week. Edmonton, the same patterns. For gods sake there is more to Canada than freakign Southern Ontario. I hate this country.

There have been at least 2 school shootings since January (one more?) that i can remember, have there been 20 in America since then? I think not (think per capita, not total, as i stated above). If there was twenty, then we are about on par. This happens in Canada with the same frequency as America (PER CAPITA).

Please venture outside of your suburb and go to the rest of the country before assuming "well if it doesnt happen in Scarborough, it doesnt happen anywhere other than inner city Toronto." FOR GODS SAKE CANADA IS MORE THAN TORONTO. TORONTO IS NOT NOT NOT NOT THE CENTRE OF THE UNIVERSE!!!!!!

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Please venture outside of your suburb and go to the rest of the country before assuming "well if it doesnt happen in Scarborough, it doesnt happen anywhere other than inner city Toronto." FOR GODS SAKE CANADA IS MORE THAN TORONTO. TORONTO IS NOT NOT NOT NOT THE CENTRE OF THE UNIVERSE!!!!!!

You should not let your passions get in your way of posting friend. I'm a Nova Scotian that has lived in damn near all parts of Canada due to being in a military family. I've spent 14 years(of my 45) in Ontario, 4 in Manitoba, 6 in BC, the rest back home. I wish I had frequent flyer miles. I am WELL aware of what the prairie provinces think of Ontario and Quebec and the fact they couldn't give less of a # for the Maritime provinces.

Be that as it may, Toronto IS the gun crime capital of the country. I would hope that you would see that as a positive thing for your area. As to my credentials, I work in Corrections.

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by WuTangAt least the conservative government is attempting to go at this with judicial reform (stricter gun crime sentencing), as opposed to the liberal and NDP calls towards a beefed up national gun registry, which IMO is ridiculous, waste of money garbage heap that accomplishes nothing but wasting billions of dollars on farmers hunting weapons. 90% of gun crimes in Canada occur with illegal, unregistered, smuggled hand guns, so clearly we need to either stop these guns from entering, or discourage thier use as much as possible (ie no more slaps on the wrist).

Don't be fooled into thinking the Conservatives will solve this problem. Stricter sentences have not and do not work. We could implement the death penalty and gun crimes would not fall. IMO it is even more folly to throw away whatever the registry has accomplished, so far. Sure, money has been wasted, but the Conservatives want to throw away the money and get nothing for it. I've seen interviews with cops saying that the registry helps them in their jobs. I believe them.

All politicians are the same. The Conservatives waste money too and in the process accomplish nothing.

Conservatives have been blocking votes and motions by opposition members by filibustering in the Senate as well as at a number of House of Commons committees.

"Democracy's grinding to a halt all over Parliament Hill and these guys are blocking and filibustering everywhere you look," charged NDP MP Pat Martin on Thursday.

The opposition accused the government of playing games to avoid hard questions.

www.cbc.ca...

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Toronto IS the centre of the universe. It's in the bible. I know, I looked it up.

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I'm sorry to assume you to be a "Toronto is Canada" guy - although they are out there and in large numbers
. Your credential are also respectable, and Toronto is the gun capital of Canada. But to suggest that this is a problem limited to Toronto is ludicrus. I can remember my first year at college i followed news back home in Calgary very closely, and i mean random cars shot at several times a week (at least one attempted shooting a night for weeks at a time), actual shootings 2 or even 3 times a week. Edmonton the same. The guns are everywhere, although it seems most gun crime is gang on gang crime, and most of our civilian gun deaths result from crossfire in that.

However as i stated in my above post, and im sure you can testify to this, we have a ridiculous amount of violent (esp knife) assaults. Vancouver is getting bad for this too. The guns are less frequent as they are less available. But man hearing how many people get stabbed at the bar is starting to get ridiculous. I mean you can accidentally spill on a guy and get stabbed. Its starting to feel unsafe in the club. We have just as much violence, it just comes in different ways.

Most of the guns smuggled into Canada come through that Southern Ontario corridor go through Toronto, which also happens to be the biggest city of them all, so it makes sense they have the most guns. But don't fool yourself, all of our fast growing cities are experiencing fast growing crime, guns included.

I am curious as to the situation where you are. Since most of the ATL prov are shrinking/seeing little growth, what is that producing in crime? I know presc drug trade was really really big out there recently(painkiller whose name i forget), I remember a few articles on that. Anything else though? Violent crime? Gun crime? Gang crime?

oh, and one more for good measure and all the kiddies out there who may be listening:
"Toronto is not the centre of the universe
"

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 06:44 PM
link   
the amount of extreme, 'hollywood style' violence is certainly on the rise.
the amount of UNREPORTED violence like that is (probably) even more astonishing. i know of one 'EXTREME HOLLYWOOD' style violence(think quentin tarantino), a murder, that occurred on a six lane highway, and it was never mentioned in any news outlet.
why?
because 'HOLLYWOOD' decides what you will be appealed into action by, and what you will remain ignorant of.

'hollywood', of course, being the conglomerate of wealthy millionaires/biliionaires that control the airwaves and 90% of media content.

p.s. is this 'canada' somewhere in the country of toronto?

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheComte

Originally posted by WuTangAt least the conservative government is attempting to go at this with judicial reform (stricter gun crime sentencing), as opposed to the liberal and NDP calls towards a beefed up national gun registry, which IMO is ridiculous, waste of money garbage heap that accomplishes nothing but wasting billions of dollars on farmers hunting weapons. 90% of gun crimes in Canada occur with illegal, unregistered, smuggled hand guns, so clearly we need to either stop these guns from entering, or discourage thier use as much as possible (ie no more slaps on the wrist).

Don't be fooled into thinking the Conservatives will solve this problem. Stricter sentences have not and do not work. We could implement the death penalty and gun crimes would not fall. IMO it is even more folly to throw away whatever the registry has accomplished, so far. Sure, money has been wasted, but the Conservatives want to throw away the money and get nothing for it. I've seen interviews with cops saying that the registry helps them in their jobs. I believe them.

All politicians are the same. The Conservatives waste money too and in the process accomplish nothing.

Tell me one thing the gun registry has done besides cost 10X more than we were told. 90% of guns used in gun crimes in Canada are UNREGISTERED. The majority of that remaining ten can best be tracked by looking up the house they were stolen from...

How, in our wonderful age of data storage, can it cost BILLIONS OF DOLLARS to store the serial number and owners information for the small minority of Canadians that own guns? Im pretty sure my HP laptop holds that much info on it.

Beyond that, most gun crime in Canada is illegal sidearms, which aren't even possible to register. ITS A LONG ARM GUN REGISTRY. Very very few gun crimes are committed with registered long arm guns.

If you own a telephone that can only recieve 5% of calls and costs 5 times what your buddy pays, would stay on for the rest of your 3 year plan or pay the fees to cut and run?????

As for federal politics, the conservatives are looking the least likely to steal my money *sigh*(sad to vote like that) so thats where my votes goes. In the end whoever wants it the most will suckle on Quebec's ass the longest, so they are the only winners (besides Ontario's occasional bone). Everything Harper promised for me was a lie, but thats another story. At heart I'm an roughneck Alberta separatist, as I'm sick and tired of this gigantic inefficient waste of money we call a bureaucracy, and I'm sick and tired of paying for bombardier to make crappy airplane engines
(joke)

edit: If you are interested in why political parties make decision (any), i suggest you read William Riker. The game is all math, and its absolutely terrible. The only objective of the game, is to do better in the game. We dont get to play though
. The math behind it is absolutely beautiful, lots of game theory, and even a little bit of chaos theory (without giant dinosaurs
)

[edit on 23-5-2007 by WuTang]

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 06:52 PM
link   

I am curious as to the situation where you are. Since most of the ATL prov are shrinking/seeing little growth, what is that producing in crime? I know presc drug trade was really really big out there recently(painkiller whose name i forget), I remember a few articles on that. Anything else though? Violent crime? Gun crime? Gang crime?

On, no, I'm in Ontario now, not by choice, much better money here. Down home the Greeks run things. As to gun crime, that would be the cops. Halifax PD gunned down a crackhead with a pipe a few years back. No inquiry. That is not an isolated incident. Be nice to the cops there.

"Toronto is not the centre of the universe
"

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join