It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

female shark reproduces without sex

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 04:05 AM
link   
A female hammerhead shark that gave birth without sex has put the bite into conventional wisdom about reproduction among large vertebrates, according to research published Wednesday.

The shark's offspring has no paternal DNA, bemused experts from Northern Ireland and the United States report.

news.ninemsn.com.au...

not sure where this goes or if its been posted before.

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 04:17 AM
link   
There's a good quote from Jurassic Park, 'life always finds a way'. The dinos were all females, but they still reproduced. Life is indeed strange.

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 04:57 AM
link   
We think we know so much...we know so little
We destroy life and habitat like its worthless, a commodity, ours to rape pillage and destroy.

The loss of sharks is mindboggleing and the rape of the ocean floor is very disturbing.

We are sick sick sick and I pray that when we finally learn to love ourselfs and the earth before its too late for everthing.

or else wipe our selfs out and get it over with so that Nature will find a way. Amen

The current world, political and industrial mindset is gonna kill us all.

[edit on 23-5-2007 by junglelord]

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Not only female shark reproduces without sex.

Soon, HUMAN FEMALE are able to reproduce without sex.

Clone their own cell or others' cells and put into their wombs.

Bye bye patriarchy, bye bye Vatican.

The legend of Virgin Islands is really that possible.

While land of gays Vatican are not able to reproduce and will be wiped out in 1 generation.

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimboman
There's a good quote from Jurassic Park, 'life always finds a way'. The dinos were all females, but they still reproduced. Life is indeed strange.

While there were probably some dinosaurs, just as their are some lizards today that are
all female and reproduce Asexually, Dinosaurs were both genders and reproduced more like birds.

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I've heard of something similar with other animals (frogs and chickens). If there is no male around, a female with actually change sex to force procreation. I haven't heard of a single female getting pregnant by herself though.

It's very interesting.

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 05:11 PM
link   
It could be the first time we have caught it. As Zedd points out there are several species that do this. This is the biggest one I have heard of however.

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Has the sharken messiah cometh?

Female hammerhead sharks can reproduce without having sex, scientists confirm.
The evidence comes from a shark at Henry Doorly Zoo in Nebraska which gave birth to a pup in 2001 despite having had no contact with a male.

Genetic tests by a team from Belfast, Nebraska and Florida prove conclusively the young animal possessed no paternal DNA, Biology Letters journal reports.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Wow. I've heard of fish changing their gender to ensure reproduction but this is nuts.

I can picture bio-engineers and animal breeders around the world getting all sorts of ideas about this...

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 12:21 AM
link   
you think it would be possible for female mammalians to asexually reproduce??

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 12:48 AM
link   
On a sorta related unrelated topic, The Female kangaroos here at the Detroit Zoo have gotten pregnant twice even though all the Males have had vasectomies and there have been no new males introduced. More of a case of the Vasectomy not being total however. Nature does find a way.

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 03:12 AM
link   
I have always admired nature for it's ability to adapt in ways that we would never have thought possible. Nature prevails, it always will.

Concrete? No match for the roots of a tree.
Steel? No match for basic oxygen.
Endangerment? Not a challenge for DNA.

We humans have alot to learn, we are certainly not above anything if nature has anything to say about it.

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 03:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by pavil
On a sorta related unrelated topic, The Female kangaroos here at the Detroit Zoo have gotten pregnant twice even though all the Males have had vasectomies and there have been no new males introduced. More of a case of the Vasectomy not being total however. Nature does find a way.

do they actually perform vasectomies and not castrate them? dont get me wrong i think vasectomies are far more ethical in terms of animal rights but i havent heard of them being performed on animals before

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 05:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei

Originally posted by jimboman

While there were probably some dinosaurs, just as their are some lizards today that are
all female and reproduce Asexually, Dinosaurs were both genders and reproduced more like birds.

I was talking about the film, not the 'real' dinosaurs. In the film 'InGen' made all the dinos female so that they could control the population.

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by cus420

do they actually perform vasectomies and not castrate them? dont get me wrong i think vasectomies are far more ethical in terms of animal rights but i havent heard of them being performed on animals before

Just going by what the zoo worker at the exhibit told me. They said that so I took them at their word. They were very surprised when it happened. They also said all male kangaroos that they now get from Australia are like that.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Here is a similar story I just heard about. This is such a neat possibilty, especially the possibilty of a shark hybrid!

www.9news.com...

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by zoom factor 32
Here is a similar story I just heard about. This is such a neat possibilty, especially the possibilty of a shark hybrid!

www.9news.com...

[edit on 28-6-2007 by zoom factor 32]

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 09:45 PM
link   
perhaps the shark swam through a "cloudy" area full of some male shark's product and accidentally got fertilized?

new topics

top topics

join