It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do UFO's break the sound barrier?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2007 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Considering that I have seen videos where UFO's "shoot" off in one direction at a very high rate of speed why is there not a "Boom" when it goes fast enough to break the sound barrier? There are also reports where UFO's go across the sky in what appears to be a matter of seconds but I rarely read that there was a "sonic boom" associated with the sighting.

Maybe I am just ignorant to "breaking" the sound barrier but why does this not happen often. I know that many people report UFO's as silent so does that have something to do with it? Does anyone have any thoughts on this that can make me understand, theoretically speaking of course?

Mo out

[edit on 19-5-2007 by Moserious]

posted on May, 19 2007 @ 10:22 PM
link   
It's possible that alien technology could incorporate some sort of noise cancelling field.

posted on May, 19 2007 @ 10:23 PM
link   
or perphas they have the ability to manipulate time and space and just *poof* disapear out of our dimension

posted on May, 19 2007 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by uberarcanist
It's possible that alien technology could incorporate some sort of noise cancelling field.

this is what i was thinking. i really have no idea about these types of things, we should get some type of expert to comment on this.

posted on May, 19 2007 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by wisefoolishness

this is what i was thinking. i really have no idea about these types of things, we should get some type of expert to comment on this.

Could an expert testify to something beyond human scientific understanding?

posted on May, 19 2007 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Ah, good old wikipedia: Sonic Booms are caused, essentially, by air pressure, not by the actual 'breaking' of any physical barrier. therefore, it's possible (and probable) that a UFO doesn't produce sonic booms because it uses some kind of advanced propulsion system that eliminates air resistance in some manner.

that would be my guess, anyhow.

posted on May, 19 2007 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nick Nightstalker
Ah, good old wikipedia: Sonic Booms are caused, essentially, by air pressure, not by the actual 'breaking' of any physical barrier. therefore, it's possible (and probable) that a UFO doesn't produce sonic booms because it uses some kind of advanced propulsion system that eliminates air resistance in some manner.

I have heard speculation to UFOs being holograms or spectral images from a parallel dimension that don't directly interact with our spacetime. In either situation, there would not be air resistance.

posted on May, 19 2007 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Pretty outstanding question Moserious
I don't know, I wish I knew who does?
I can suggest the propulsion system may employ a drive which removes the atmosphere in the direction headed and place it behind causing a kind of Ion vacuum drive.

Dallas

edit: sorry not answering your question re Sonic Boom, loss of. I think in doing the above there is no air drag.

[edit on 19-5-2007 by Dallas]

posted on May, 19 2007 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nick Nightstalker

Thanks everyone. I like this one Nick. I've always thought about this topic but then I forget about it. Tonight I did not forget and I went right to the computer to ask ATS. ATS is where it's at. I am going to read up on this some more and then see if there is anything else I can add. I really want to see what others say too. THanks ATS!

posted on May, 19 2007 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by wisefoolishness

Could an expert testify to something beyond human scientific understanding?

no, i guess not, but atleast they could give their thoughts on what the cause could be, or why it wouldn't make a sonic boom.

posted on May, 19 2007 @ 11:25 PM
link   
One theory I read is that UFO's don't utilize air but nullify air effects due to the field generated around the crafts. I don't understand the physics but the basic argument is that an ufo is not an 'aircraft' thus a sonic boom is not a condition that they have to deal with.

posted on May, 19 2007 @ 11:34 PM
link   
MoSerious, this is indeed an excellent question. It seems that UFOs in
videos never make or cause any type of sound or atmospheric disturbance
whatsoever. When a jet makes very abrupt maneuvers at an air show,
you can see a cloud form along it's wing or around whatever part of the
plane is pressuring the air and shocking the moisture out of it, for a brief
second or two. UFO's zip away without causing any visual or auditory
atmospheric disturbance.

Were it not for the witnesses to the Nov. 2006 Ohare UFO stating that it
left a big hole in the clouds, it would be easy to believe that these vehicles
aren't physically in our dimension at all. Who knows.. maybe some are
and some aren't. There are supposedly 57 species of aliens classified to
date. This opens the door to a myriad of amazing possibilities that are
limited only by one's imagination. -cwm

posted on May, 20 2007 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Simple answer, yes, some UFOs do break the sound barrier.

Now that said, you should really be more specific, as UFO can be alot of things,
be it meteors, prototype aircraft, weather balloons or something else.

Some secret military projects, like hypersonic U/CAVs and missiles do, some meteorites
do and some normal military jets that someone is not familiar with do.

posted on May, 20 2007 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by biotic
or perphas they have the ability to manipulate time and space and just *poof* disapear out of our dimension

yea i think that the UFOs have some adavnced technology that distorts time and space possibly altogether and/or the air pressure around the craft.

posted on May, 20 2007 @ 01:50 AM
link   
wow great question..I'm stumped. But until someone actually gets their hands on a real ufo We will never know why.

posted on May, 20 2007 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by ImpliedChaos
wow great question..I'm stumped. But until someone actually gets their hands on a real ufo We will never know why.

heh....Area 51 anyone??? Well if Area 51 is true about the rumors of captured UFOs there and at other bases i am sure the scientists there have found at least some stuff on this question....but thats all speculation.

posted on May, 20 2007 @ 02:39 AM
link   
It amazes me that UFO enthusiasts don't bring this up more, especially when talking about old radar targets in the 50's that were doing speeds much faster than mach 1. Every sighting should question authorities or witnesses if there was a sonic boom...and if not how is that possible when the object was gone in seconds?

There is no human made aircraft that can defeat the sound barrier.

The History Channel had a good story on underwater UFOs and questions on how they too are able to move so quickly underwater. They are somehow getting around displacing the fluid/air/energy around them...maybe they "eat" it or absorb it?

[edit on 20/5/07 by Atomic]

posted on May, 20 2007 @ 02:49 AM
link   
"underwater ufos" wow..I have never heard of those. I wish I saw that special

posted on May, 20 2007 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Atomic

that we know of publicly. that's an important distinction to make, here.

The History Channel had a good story on underwater UFOs and questions on how they too are able to move so quickly underwater. They are somehow getting around displacing the fluid/air/energy around them...maybe they "eat" it or absorb it?

interesting idea, and the underwater UFO thing does kind of tie in. it may be possible that they're somehow slightly out of phase with the rest of reality, and thusly don't need to travel through (and thusly aren't subject to air/water resistance of) matter. it's also possible that, like one posted before me (I believe), that it's somehow 'transporting' the matter from in front of the craft to behind it as it moves, possibly as it's primary propulsion format.

think about it; if you take a craft that has (for instance) a volume of roughly one cubic meter, and displace a cubic meter of air in front of it, and suddenly that air appears behind it, you've got a vacuum in front, sucking the craft in, as well as an abundance of air behind the craft, pushing it forward. I know it's far-fetched, but a propulsion system that somehow did this would explain both how these crafts move so quickly and maneuver in the near-impossible ways they do, as well as the lack of a sonic boom when they appear to move faster than the speed of sound.

just some random speculations on my part, though; it's not like I've got a dismantled UFO propulsion system sitting in my basement... no sirree.... nope!

posted on May, 20 2007 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Atomic

We have lots of planes and missiles that are capable of going faster than the speed of sound,
in the white world most of them only go between MACH 1.5 and MACH 3.5 for manned ones,
but missiles generally go faster since they don't have to worry about pilots.

The Space shuttle travels at MACH 24.

If you mean there are no craft that don't produce sonic booms, well currently there
is research into that, and there are designs for next generation supersonic passenger planes
that have produce a sonic boom that is a little less loud than an ordinary jet engine,
which is pretty cool since sonic booms are one of the main reasons we don't have
a prevalence of super sonic passenger planes.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join