It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So We Have a Post Rating/Member Rating System Now?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Parallelogram
so now there's a popularity contest built into every post!

Hardly. There has been a large group of members on ATS expressing their desire to have a system where members can "reward" other members for individual posts. The current Flagging System only allows members to award the author of a particular thread. Stand out posts by a member in a thread were going unrewarded by members, since the WATS Vote has been removed.

I believe this is quite the system where members can pat one another on the back. After a week or two, one vote won't have much of an impact. So giving someone a low score in an attempt at vengeance, it would be quite futile I think.

My thoughts are that we do have a mature membership who will use this system to benefit themselves and other members. And not a "popularity contest".

Originally posted by The Parallelogram
can we have the option to prevent these things from being displayed?

Only the Overlord could answer that one.

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
i'll give you a star.

it's warm, its been in my pocket. (5pts if you know what thats from gahaha, uhh if i quoted it right that is.)

Well thank you for the star, yes it warm, but you didn't say anything about it being sticky

now am probably back to 2 agin

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Well I had not clue wha the star was so I have been clicking on starts all over to see what happen.

Well I realy look funny with stars on my forehead.

Now I know.

[edit on 16-5-2007 by marg6043]

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Actually my first impression on the stars was that they were related to the Cookie paranoia thread.

They look like cookies to me at first.

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sauron

Originally posted by Lysergic
i'll give you a star.

it's warm, its been in my pocket. (5pts if you know what thats from gahaha, uhh if i quoted it right that is.)

Well thank you for the star, yes it warm, but you didn't say anything about it being sticky

now am probably back to 2 agin

You rock

knew I screwed it up, and was too lazy to google ferris. woots!

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I gave you one star enjoies, I couldn't give you 0 stars so I gave you one.

S.O. is always coming up with something new to keep this site new and exciting...

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 07:02 PM
link   
5 stars for whatukno cause he's the cooliest.

When's SO gonna explain this?

[edit on 16-5-2007 by thehumbleone]

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Actually it brings back memories of the littler golden stars teachers used to give me in grade school.

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 07:04 PM
link   
The web site that I once modded on had a star system like this. if you get a lot of one star votes, it drags down your average...and...You can see how many people clicked to rate a post, which can also tell you how much of a following that person has.

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I love the new rating system.

We can now pick individual posts that we liked as opposed to just flagging a thread.

The combination of the two makes a great addition to the forum.

Great idea guys!

I like how ATS is evolving.

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Justin Oldham
The web site that I once modded on had a star system like this. if you get a lot of one star votes, it drags down your average...and...You can see how many people clicked to rate a post, which can also tell you how much of a following that person has.

oh..i see..............the "American Idol" instant voting scheme on ATS

....whatever............(articulated in dismay)

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Being an uber-iconoclast, I'm in big trouble now.

[edit on 16-5-2007 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss]

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Justin Oldham

...which is my problem.

Some people cause a lot of drama, so they'll only get: 1's and 5's, those who support and those who do not support their ideological standpoint. To me this doesn't add anything and it further causes to create a system based on "social standing". How long before people go: He's got 1 Star, skip what he has to say clearly it's not worth "our time".

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Just be yourself and don't worry about the ratings.

Does that really matter?

We are not posting here for points I hope.

ATS is a great place to exchange viewpoints. Why not be able to rate a post we enjoyed reading and agreed with? It makes sense to me.

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 07:23 PM
link   
How many people did that when we all had gray, red, and black post bars?

I'm sure the exact same thing was said when that post bar was first introduced. But in time, everyone grew to love it. I think we should give this one an opportunity before passing judgment.

Just like the flagging, we all only have one vote. And besides, why not have a little fun with this?

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 07:25 PM
link   
At some point we will get details on the workings of this I hope. I have noticed that when I went to give multiple stars to John Oldham, I was able to give thre, but not four as I had planned.

Perhaps there are limits?

And I went to put a star on another post here, which seems to be almost a practice palace, and could give none. I wonder if that means that you must also post in a thread to give stars?

This is fun, a conspiracy site making you figure out the clues.
= confused.

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I love stars! And I love the idea of rating individual posts. So, like nuts and gum, these concepts have come together at last! Even though I don't quite understand the rating system, I just know I'm gonna love it!

Grade me!

Keep your eyes on the stars!

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by biggie smalls
Just be yourself and don't worry about the ratings.

Does that really matter?

We are not posting here for points I hope.

ATS is a great place to exchange viewpoints. Why not be able to rate a post we enjoyed reading and agreed with? It makes sense to me.

Yeah it does matter.

It just gives the whole "Right" and "Left" wing ideology and people who support it more room to argue and to try and cause problems. You already see the same people attacking the same members and their "group" helping each other out. So now they can go vote 1 star on those they dislike and 5 on those they like? Fantastic, we all end up with between 2.5 and 3.5 in a years time.

Also some people make a few "question" based posts, that'll drag down the average. Why make a fool of yourself (to find out something) when bitter people will do nothing but shoot you down?

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 07:30 PM
link   
You are not your stars.

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
How many people did that when we all had gray, red, and black post bars?

I'm sure the exact same thing was said when that post bar was first introduced. But in time, everyone grew to love it. I think we should give this one an opportunity before passing judgment.

Just like the flagging, we all only have one vote. And besides, why not have a little fun with this?

The applause function is hardly open to abuse. The staff members don't go handing them out like they're treats and due to this the coloured bars didn't overly matter.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join