It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Christians supposed to keep the 10 Commandments including the Sabbath day??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Ok in light of what the moderaters said about staying on topic im taking a question and starting a thread on it.

Are Christians supposed to keep the 10 Commandments including the Sabbath day??

The question is a good one. How do we answer a question like this? I believe an answer would only be able to come straight out of the Book itself.

I encourage all that hold Faith to join in, im interested in what you have to say. So, let us begin the thread...

God bless

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 05:05 PM
link   
well, i may not be of any faith but i know that jesus didn't say anything about disregarding the 10 commandments.

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Well, I don't have much to add but ran up on this article. Right neat one liner.

If those who insist on keeping the Sabbath were as zealous about the salvation of the lost as they are about other Christians keeping the Sabbath, we would see revival.

Source

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 05:07 PM
link   
You know it's funny you bring this up today. I've been thinking about it for the last couple days.

I guess there are some that think the fourth commandment was only given to the Jews and others that think everyone should follow the Sabbath.

You should do some Google searches and read opinions. Here is one, unfortunately it's not a one word answer. lol

www.bethelministries.com...

I'm curious to see what other Christians think.

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Thank you for the link, Kinglizard. Yes thats true Madness. Im sure we would see revival Wisesheep.

It had been on my mind since I replied to that thread. I had given it some thought before as well and I have come up with:

God our Lord and Savior wants us to be imitaters of Him right?

Jesus came to fullfil the Law not abolish it right?

Well then, Jesus said the greatest commandment is to love God.

So, if you want to be imitaters of Jesus, and he said to love the Lord your God then I feel that we should love God and all the other commandments would come out of obedience.

Its kinda like once you have been shown the truth do you want to stay in the truth or continue with what you had been known?

God bless

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 10:54 PM
link   

originally posted by followerofchrist
So, if you want to be imitaters of Jesus, and he said to love the Lord your God then I feel that we should love God and all the other commandments would come out of obedience.

I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head with that statement, in that, if you truely love God with all your heart and soul and practice the Presence as often as you can, you will begin to train yourself in obedience to adhere to all the commandments and then some. There are also health laws, such as eating scavenger's and such that just might contribute to your over all health as well.
Christ said that he did not come to change the Law, not one jot, but to fulfill it.
So then, Love the LORD your God with all you've got, and you probably won't violate His Law's.
Then you become a beacon of His Light and help lead those lost in this world of darkness back Home to the LORD...
The beauty of Christ lays within His Will to forgive us where we fall short, if we are truely trying to follow His Way. It doesn't mean that we have a get out of jail free card and can do whatever we want to like hypocrite's.
Adherence to the Ten Commandments shows we recognize The Truth, that the LORD is God, and He wants us as believers to live by His rules, so that we may abide in His Will, and recieve His Blessing's.
I tell my kids that if they choose to disobey God's instruction's, it's like going out of bound's, and you might have to pay a penalty so to speak.
I also consider it a kind of qualification for the protection The LORD offers us if we will obey.
Staying in His Will is the challenge we face, and the Ten Commandments are a type of road map if you will to keep us on the high road.
He always offers us a choice, following in obedience of the Law and the road ahead may be a bit less bumpy.
As far as Sabbath's go, I believe Christ became our Sabbath or rest.
With the calenders we use today, it is hard to determine what would be the True Sabbath, so to quote the Doobie Brothers I'll just say, "Jesus is just alright with me".
Jesus was seen in the temple performing miracle's on what was then known as the Sabbath, and we all know what He said about that. So then, for me, for now, I think its what you consider the Sabbath. If I am wrong then please forgive me God, and lead me to know what is right, by your Heavenly Promise make it so, Amen, and thank You Father.....
Peace out.........

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 11:29 PM
link   
followerofchrist, excellent thread.

I consider the 10 Commandments to be Holy and I comply with them. The commandment you mentioned about keeping the Sabbath, however, is the hardest one for me to comply with as I tend to be a workhorse.

I believe that one can work on Sundays but only in emergency situations where there is a life-death issue of a person or a Soul. I interpret what Jesus said in John 5:17 ("My Father is at work until now, so I am at work") to mean that we can work on Sundays but at a reduced level in emergency situations.

Sunday is my favorite day of the week, a day where I feel closest to God. I always repent of my sin if I have overworked.

Peace and Blessings.

posted on May, 15 2007 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Well thank you Great tech, and Holiday star. Great tech I think what you said about your Sabbath as far as working only on emergency situations is probably real close to what Jesus would have wanted us to do. I mean to really know for sure I think one would have to pray before hand and ask yourself if this work pleases God.

Jesus worked on the Sabbath doing healings and all but, if you think about it everything he did was pleasing to the Lord, so could you consider that working? I mean anyone, no matter what day, would save their ox (or child) if they fell in, or got caught on something and that was what Jesus used as a responce.

Great tech, I know it would be hard pressed on our calendar to find when the exact Sabbath was, but if you remember days where night first, then morning, afternoon and evening so,
Sunday night/ Monday is day 1
Monday night/ Teusday is day 2
Tuesday night/ Wednesday is day 3
Wednesday night/ Thursday is day 4
Thursday night/ Friday is day 5
Friday night/ Saturday is day 6
Saturday night/ Sunday is the Sabbath.
I hope this was helpful in someway. Though, I have heard that Jews celebrate the Sabbath on Friday night/ Saturday.

God bless

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by followerofchrist
I hope this was helpful in someway. Though, I have heard that Jews celebrate the Sabbath on Friday night/ Saturday.

God bless

Yes, because Sabbath is the last day of the week. Although Monday is the beginning of the traditional work week, Sunday is actually the first day of the (don’t think so? ask congress as it’s actually the law.)

An easy mistake to make, many are unaware of this.

Why do so many treat Sunday as the Sabbath? I dont know, you would have to ask the pope.

So far as keeping the Sabbath, this has been a real problem for me lately. I am now on my third week without a day off, and I do feel guilty. To my disgrace, I feel a need to keep my job and working Saturday is a requirement. I just dont know what I would do for a living if not for my current job.

Oh me of little faith.

[edit on 24-5-2007 by cavscout]

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Well Cavscout, how about bringing a little bit of your faith to the workplace? It could be anything. I mean then you could be keeping your mind on God and maybe not feel so guilty. Just a suggestion. Thank you for your info on the subject. I hope this little bit helps you.

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 11:49 AM
link   
First.. I think the 10 Commandments are holy.

Second.. I do not think Sunday is the Sabbath *anymore*.

I used to, before I had access to knowledge at my fingertips.

The Shabbat (Sabbath) is a Jewish thing, Christians kept it and changed it around a bit.

Shabbat Day traditionally falls on Friday from dusk thru Saturday and ends at dusk Saturday. It is determined by the first sight of the moon, in some particular way I do not remember exactly.

Christians say Sunday is the day, because Yeshua rose from the dead that day, and also he defied the Shabbat rules all throughout his teaching career, doing miracles and other work on Shabbat. So the Gospel interprets this as a "New Sabbath". But when the Old Testament Jewish 10 Commandments are talking about Shabbat, they mean the REAL Shabbat okay! lol. Just because Christ had the ability to defy the Temple does not mean we all do. Not that we follow the Temple, but if God's Temple is the world and all of us, then we ARE the Temple, and thus resting on Shabbat day would be advisable, from my point of view.

But im lazy so I claim both. The Jewish one and the Christian one, so I'm good Friday through Sunday night baby, yeah! party time!

[edit on 5/24/2007 by runetang]

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Runetang I completly see your point. Very nice for a little more clarity on this subject.

God Bless

top topics

join