It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So...Why do women want marriage?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I have done the marriage thing and I can say that when I got married, it was for the "security" that came from the act of getting married.

Didn't take me long to figure out that marriage does not equate security.

Now that I am single again, I have no driving rush to get married. Personally, I think marriage is something between two people and the piece of paper from the government is not needed.

Does this mean that I do not like the idea of getting married again one day. Not really. It just means that I see no sense in it when I can be married in spirit to someone without all the hoopla and recognition from the government.

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ValhallasValkyrie

No, marriage certainly does not equate to security. I've seen a lot of couples "retire" after they get married. All that effort, time, money and emotional committment expended before the marriage when they were each trying to impress the other with their worthiness magically disappears after marriage when their catch is "safe".

If the woman looked like a bombshell before marriage, eating only salads when they went out to dinner she may start gorging after marriage, not caring if she bloats up bigger than Rhode Island. If the man did little niceties like bringing flowers, etc. he may spend time watching ESPN instead after they get married. They both "retire" from the "let me wow you with how wonderful I am" game. Sad really since they both probably are wonderful-just lazy.

I am of the opinion that impressing your mate does not end after you "catch" them but making them glad they caught you. Continue to show yourself worthy of the wonderful person you picked to spend and build your life with. Increase your value to them. Not to say that you spend all your time "trying out" for their affection but that you spend your time being worthy of it. And your partner should, of course, recognize and value your worth as well.

When your partner views you as disposable (any port in a storm/all cats are grey in the dark, etc.) then you chose poorly. [I'm speaking about myself here] I think that men in my generation were raised to believe that women were not really valuable, just fun accessories. If the one you've got wears out in your service, breaks down, needs a minor repair or whatever then just replace IT.

Statistics show that married men live longer than single men but married women do not live longer than single women. (Women, in general, live longer than men generally do). So, which partner really benefits from marriage? At least in regards to longevity, men do.

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Well, I don’t want marriage due to the lack of enthusiasm to make love or babies. And I certainly don’t need a man to make my life any better. Marriage takes lots of HARD work, like maintaining good friendships. If not well kept, eventually marriage spoils, smelling up the room with old flatulence and blinding the once loving eyes of the beholder into blissful stupor.

Let’s put it this way, if certain people claim to take stress pretty good, say like the nagging speeches of a spouse everyday or the bewailing screeches of infants in the middle of the night, then marriage is for them. Marriage is for the committed strong types who are able to get along well with the in-laws, their relatives and friends, too.

Good-day.

<< 2  3  4   >>

join