It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So...Why do women want marriage?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Was gonna post this on the "post a quote" thread but it seems more appropo here.
When the blind lead the blind, no wonder they both fall into matrimony.- George Farkshar

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 02:57 AM
link   
Whitewave,

LOL LOL LOL..I m, busting out laughing at your predicament here.

Got two 30 year olds chasing me right now ( I turn 50 in Sept.) but I'm not taking any more to raise. Plus, I've got runs in my pantyhose older than that!

Look at you ...lol.. Look at you!! Now this fellow who has survived four dates...Wow!! Is that a sign of the "P" word..Potential?? Intresting filter system you have for weeding them out. Yes I understand about the rebound ego confirmation.

Sorry to hear about the trucks. Something Hot to me about the right woman and a pick up truck. YOu see more women lately buying pick ups too!! THats fine by me. Also buying motorcycles..and not small ones either.

Now this here....would be a kodak ,moment!!

Sometimes I think of remarrying but when I'm vaccuuming the house in my underwear or eating a "dinner" that consists of 4 oreo cookies while I stand in the kitchen staring at the sink, I realize I'd never make it.

However ,I disagree with you on one point. The right man would get you over that hurdle of "I'll never make it." As I said..it would take a man too! Obviously.... no light weights need apply. Dont tell me it would take something as drastic as difibulator paddles to get you " jump started."
But you are correct to weed out the wildlife.

I think most people-men and women- have this fantasy or illusion ( or delusion) and try to stuff some partner into fitting it and it just never works. I point out the obvious and men run for their lives (and egos).

Agree here. For the right woman or man it is not fitting into a dream or expecation per se. It is learning to live with and work with what you have. Emphasis on learning here...both partners. It helps from the begining if there is some good raw material there with which to work. Thats why you use your radar/filter to weed out those without good raw material. Longsuffering and encouragement helps..patience. That can be tough for some of us.
I have had somewhat the same experience. When I point out the obvious from my perspective...and that I dont think as stamped out as many men ...most tend to run. I have however had some who actually thought I was not serious and that they could with the proper skills change my mind or perspective.(delusion). This called for a reality check after it became obvious.

Just got home here after only putting in 8 hours tonight. Raiding the fridge as I work on this . Tired...the "Force is not with me tonight." Getting some food and rest..and will try it again tomorrow night.

Thanks for your post,
Orangetom

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Hey, where's our OP? He/she was going to enlighten us. No "hit-n-run" posting, now.

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 07:39 AM
link   
As with most topics, I feel that it depends upon the individual in question. I had a beautiful, loving relationship with whom I consider to be the woman of my dreams for seven and a half years, until, after years of being engaged, she realized she was afraid of the commitment inherent in marriage. She was even afraid of the commitment inherent in an informal, "just between us," non-religious, non-legal, mutual pact limited to a simple statement of "you're the only one for me, forever." Once she was able to admit that to herself and we realized we both wanted two very different things, we very painfully yet amicably ended our romantic relationship and became friends (though I am still very much in love with her.)

My point is that some women genuinely don't want to get married, and some who do aren't ready for it or comfortable with the potential implications of it. Likewise, some men want marriage more than some women do. I would have given anything to be her "one and only" for the rest of our lives, for instance. This is probably the exception to the rule of course, but it does happen. That is why I suspect that while there may be some general consistencies, the choice or desire to marry is largely a personal matter born out of many individual factors.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 01:24 PM
link   

First, any women here on BTS care to answer why you think you want to be married? Why do women seek marriage? Religious reasons? Family tradition? Economic reasons? To have constant sex? I'm pretty sure I know the exact reason why every woman on Earth might want to be married. Women, please tell me your thoughts.

You asked for a guy's input too...

I suppose it's similar for them. Companionship and safety. As some have said, marriage shows more of a commitment, and this provides security. In addition, you know you won't grow old alone, and should be fixed on the idea that this is the love of your life. (if you aren't, then you probably shouldn't say "I do"...) Constant sex? You don't know many married people, do you?

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 01:24 PM
link   

First, any women here on BTS care to answer why you think you want to be married? Why do women seek marriage? Religious reasons? Family tradition? Economic reasons? To have constant sex? I'm pretty sure I know the exact reason why every woman on Earth might want to be married. Women, please tell me your thoughts.

You asked for a guy's input too...

I suppose it's similar for them. Companionship and safety. As some have said, marriage shows more of a commitment, and this provides security. In addition, you know you won't grow old alone, and should be fixed on the idea that this is the love of your life. (if you aren't, then you probably shouldn't say "I do"...) Constant sex? You don't know many married people, do you?

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Dae and others who are wont to read this post

I have been thinking for some time about your post of which I take the liberty to quote here,

oragnetom, you disliked it when whitewave made generalisations about men yet you do the same about men (dumb) and women (sexual predators). Maybe you should travel the world a bit, get a better picture of men and women in other cultures.

Apparently I was so dumb myself to miss this concept. I take the liberty to point this out in the context of this post which I quote from the previous page

this girl keeps saying she is gonna kill her self if i dont marry her, but i haven't even had a taste of whats good yet.

Now in my previous post I mentioned quite clearly what a dummy this guy was for getting his thinking cap on backwards.

What I want to know is whether this womans conduct could be construed as predatory??

Some people like to cover up this kind of cheap drivel with words like passive agressive and other such icing coated toppings on the cake but I consider this both desperate and predatory. Is there something wrong with my assessment here?? This woman obviously doesnt respect this guy enough to take it straight up without resorting to drama. Whats worse as stated earlier this guy has his thinking cap on the wrong head. Dummy. But is this in fact a woman being predatory ..as a hunter gatherer?? Even in desperation??

You know Dae..I have had several women over the years try this on me as a control method and it was quite awhile before I realized it was in fact desperation born out of a predatory instinct and baseless but had to be promoted as justified.

The common tactic among many women..is to claim a man "used" them. In otherwords these women deserved more than they got.

Watch how this type of predatory behavior works and how easy it is bo bamboozle most men into silence. From the Survival thread..topic line "Womens Survival." Watch this thread I link here and watch Diseras response down a few threads. The conversation breaks right down on this topic when a guy can think outside the standard blocks of what passes for male thinking. By the way..this is in response to Whitewaves post..this first one

www.abovetopsecret.com...

and continiued here

and

and Diseras response here or lack of response.

By the way ..another woman for whom I respect on ATS/BTS for her level headed postings is Dark Elf.

Disera is young but not totally blocked out in her thinking by the girl stuff religion so prevalent in this type of thread. She too can think for one so young. Gives me hope too. Dark Elf..no doubt ..she is a thinker too.

Does this shed some light on why some women want marriage??

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 09:20 AM
link   
I'd like to procreate(lol) someday before I'm too old. I figure having children while in a solid marriage is the best way to go for them.
Spiritual wise as well. Not to mention there will be a time when I'm burned out on dating and would like to just stay with one person, not easy to start over!

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 11:39 AM
link   

www.unknowncountry.com...
Marriage is healthy--even more healthy for men than for women. Marriage also provides great psychological benefits.

Scientific studies show that beauty is the key ingredient for men while women, the much choosier of the sexes, leverage their looks for security and commitment.

Sociologist Robin Simon says, "The study's findings make perfect sense to me. One symptom of depression is loneliness and lack of companionship."

Chores are one of the top causes of divorce, along with sex and money problems.

IMO, marriage provides security for both parties & one never needs to be alone.

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 01:33 PM
link   
It depends on the woman, in my personal experience she just wanted to move out of her parents house and to do to someone else what had been done to her. To often people expect the wrong things out of a marriage and they end badly. Don't ever marry because you have this desire to change the other party, you cant and to even attempt to do so does little more than diminish them. Don't marry to fill some void in your life if you cant be happy with yourself you will never be happy with anyone else. I mean the list just goes on, if you want a good rule of thumb dont marry anyone unless you know that there isnt anything they could do to you that you couldnt forgive them for.

posted on Oct, 9 2007 @ 04:01 AM
link   
Chores are one of the top causes of divorce, along with sex and money problems.

IMO, marriage provides security for both parties & one never needs to be alone.

questor,
I need you to explain to me how marriage provides security for me through or from a woman?? I am probably missing out on a concept here.

Also again in the study quoted here I need you or others on the board to explain to me how marriage can be more healthy for the men since it seems the men mostly die before the women. I dont seem to understand the psychology of this!! The psychological benifits as stated in the article quoted.

I do agree in the article that many women leverage their beauty and sexuality ..combinations of both for security and commitment. But in my mind with many women when the biology runs out and they have not invested in anything else..no other life skills...they become hollow shells. Many were so from the begining.
Stupid of men not to be able to think this far while worshiping on this false altar. Women too. This does not seem to be a concept explained in most of these types of articles. It should be.

Chores...this seems to be another stupid topic line too. I need it explained how many of my chores women are trying to relieve me of so that my life will be longer, healthier, and more satisfying. Or is it mostly a one way street here.
I can change diapers..wash clothes, clean house, grocery shop, manage a budget et al. I need to know of what traditional male chores women are willing to relieve me as a career opportunity??

Do you understand what I am asking?? Chores which do not fit into the standard mantra or female social expectations/belief systems. You know to relieve me of these chores so I can be more secure/healthier and have more options.

Jovi1,

It depends on the woman, in my personal experience she just wanted to move out of her parents house and to do to someone else what had been done to her.

I almost did this twice before I caught on. I thought I was "Flashdancing" these women through lifes hurdles and doing my "white knightly " thing. Boy was I ever a dummy.

I dont spend much time doing this kind of thing anymore. I no longer think I must perform or try out for a womans attention or "Rescue them from their "Victimization" real or imagined. This life lesson has stuck with me deeply since that time.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Oct, 9 2007 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Of course marriage benefits a man as well as a woman!

A good marriage is one of give and take and working together to make a home, raise children and an attempt to create something beautiful.

Granted, I do believe that you don't HAVE to get married to accomplish this, but with all the benefits given to married couples in the States, it is a good idea.

Haven't you ever seen the many cases of men wasting away and practically deteriorating after their wives have died? My grandfather was one of them. When my grandma died, he didn't know how to cook for himself and he wasn't much of a house keeper. My mom had to move in to take care of him.

posted on Oct, 9 2007 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowflake_obsidian
Of course marriage benefits a man as well as a woman!

A good marriage is one of give and take and working together to make a home, raise children and an attempt to create something beautiful.

Granted, I do believe that you don't HAVE to get married to accomplish this, but with all the benefits given to married couples in the States, it is a good idea.

Haven't you ever seen the many cases of men wasting away and practically deteriorating after their wives have died? My grandfather was one of them. When my grandma died, he didn't know how to cook for himself and he wasn't much of a house keeper. My mom had to move in to take care of him.

Snowflake,
I understand about raising children and create something beautiful.

However...I dont have much respect for men who dont know how to take care of themselves. I have seen this quite a bit. I know a guy who was raised for years till he was in his 40s staying at home and mom taking care of him. If it were not for the fast food lane he would be having a difficult time surviving. He still brings his laundry home for mom to do. Astonishing!! to me this guy is slowly deteriorating. I dont come to a woman for these skills.
I still am intrested in how marriage benifits a man. Details please??

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Oct, 9 2007 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by orangetom1999

You don't think companionship benefits a man? You don't think it's comforting and beneficial for a man to know there is always someone there for him, supporting him, standing up for him and being his biggest fan? To have someone he can talk to, and confide in?

If marriage has no benefit to a man, then why do so many men strive to get married?

I think a man's emotions run deeper than some blind biological need to have sex with every female in sight.

posted on Oct, 10 2007 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Yes...definitely I think companionship benifits a man as it benifits a woman. However I dont have to get married to get companionship. Nor does a woman for that matter.

I am not sure most men understand this concept about companionship in lieu of marriage statistics the last 20 years or so.

Yes I also think some men's emotions run deeper than some blind biological need. Once again however ...I dont think many men think about this in those terms..having been raised on a diet of television and sports conditioning.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Oct, 10 2007 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Well I agree that you don't have to get married to enjoy the closeness and companionship of a relationship.

But I think getting married is a good idea if you plan on spending your life with someone and having children with them, because of the benefits the government gives to a married couple regarding taxes and what not.

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 06:39 AM
link   
you guys have to see this....

youtube.com...

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 07:35 AM
link   
I look around and see that there are a lot of men and women that know where they're going in life; they just want someone else to take them there. Marriage is an easy way to get what they want materialistically (so they believe). If marriage were about 2 people building a life together and having common goals based on their common values, it could be a worthy and satisfying endeavor for both (and whatever children resulted from the union).

Money issues and the division of labor are the 2 major sources of contention in marriages because one or both of the partners wanted the other to provide what they could not and feel slighted in the bargain. When infidelity comes into the picture, feelings are hurt and expectations of perceived marital advantages are shattered.

When a society degrades its value system to one of material gain instead of "life and building" then the divorce rate skyrockets as we see today because the traditional method for obtaining our goals is not geared for a materialistic paradigm. I think most people who get married truly believe that they want life and building but really want security and creature comforts. They don't realize that it's not the institution of marriage that has changed, it's societys' value system, of which they are a part.

In the immortal words of Tina Turner: what's love got to do with it?
For centuries people have been getting married with no preconceived notions of love. They may have eventually grown to love one another or they may have both been miserable for the duration of their lives but the fairly modern idea of "pursuit of happiness" has skewed the idea of marriage to its current degraded state. I personally believe that 2 people should love one another before embarking on a life time together but it's not a prerequisite. When people are pursuing their own personal happiness and believe they've found it in another person, they tend to believe they're "in love". When their materialistic goals are not met, they fall out of love. This is a sad state of affairs. When we quit looking at one another as paychecks or pootie, we might become human beings worthy of marriage.

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Other than religious reasons ... marriage is just a legal contract. I see no point in it unless you are making those vows before your G-d, and, you don't need a marriage license to do so. Some do it for financial, so do it for control. Some do it because it is the societal norm engraved from a young age. There are so many reasons people do it, and a lot of them are not the right reasons.

To me, if I love someone, and I give myself to them ... that is all the contract I really need. If they love me back, and we trust each other, then it is all that is needed. I can commit to them and do so with G-d, but I don't need all the fancy stuff.

To me, weddings are a waste of finances ... you can still have a honeymoon without the dresses and tuxes, all the other stuff ... not to say I wouldn't want to see a future love in a cute white dress and garter

I feel the same way about fancy rings. Diamonds are a hard sell on society ... and I thought so way before any movies or news about the trouble it causes in Africa. To me, it is a rock. If my love and trust isn't enough, then why is spending money on metal and stone? I wouldn't mind a titanium and platinum band, honestly.

If I was truly in love and the person desired a formal wedding, I would. I would push for a small one, since I am not into big crowds. I would hope to find someone who isn't materialistic, so there wouldn't be a need for an expensive ring with some silly equation of x amount of your yearly income. I think that is all a bunch of hooey.

I think if more people found that person that truly was their match, and were happy with themselves to begin with ... there wouldn't be a rush for marriage, there wouldn't be so many divorces, and there wouldn't be so much materialistic desires. I don't want to buy my wife, I want her to want me. I need her to need me
sorry, song references pop in occassionally.

I am in no rush to meet someone. I am not controlled or driven by lustful desires. In fact, I have been quite happy being celibate for quite some time now. I know that goes against the norm of society, but, I never was one that thought the casualness of sexuality was very moral. I respect highly a very modest person that would also believe in at least a certain level of celibacy ... maybe not until marriage, but definitely holding out longer than the first few dates, even months.

So, for me, marriage of the spirit doesn't require a paper certificate, if you have found the person that 'completes' you. You just know and you both want to spend the rest of your life together. What is it, 5 or 7 years living together is considered a civil union anyway

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by FreeThinkerIdealist

Many states don't have the "common law marriage" stipulation.

I agree with a lot of what you said and I repeat it to many people who try to pressure the marriage talk onto me...you don't need to be legally married to love someone. Living together as a non-married couple is EXACTLY the same as living as a married couple.

However because of most of societies value on marriage, there are legal benefits to being a married couple.

Honestly, big weddings and wedding rings and all that is really a personal prefference. Yet I see it as having a big fun party to celebrate love. Actually I believe I read somewhere that an engagement ring was actually more less a man claiming property on a woman, to let others know that she was already "owned".

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join