It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mac's aren't so bad.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Well my boss bought me a new imac so our shop can become an authorized service center. Ive been a pc user since the tandy TRS-80 days so this is taking a small bit of getting used to. Thanks to google though, ive been able to figure out the cloverleaf is the control key and the control key is the right clik. (macs only have one mouse button)

This is a pretty nice rig though. 2ghz Intel core 2 duo, 160gig sata drive, DVDRW, 17" widescreen, 1gig of ram. I was gonna run a cable from my router to the kitchen table till i discovered it has wireless built right in. NICE!

Im amazed at how well the wireless transfer is. No loss of packets. Transferred 15gigs of mp3's in no time. Right now i'm figuring out how to install programs and widgets, manipulate the system settings, all kinds of stuff.

I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks. Ill update later when i learn more new stuff but all in all, not too dam shabby Apple.

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by S1LV3R4D0
manipulate the system settings

Do you mean like editing things in those locked files? it took a good year or 2 before I decided I was good enough to do that, heres a tip, DO NOT SCREW THAT UP AT ALL, or you may find yourself with all kinds of things wrong, things not working or things that just dont make sense.

And welcome to the mac family.

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 10:32 PM
link   
LOL no just changing the background, putting progs where they belong instead of on the desktop, revving up mouse speed, crap like that. No way im screwin with locked files and stuff. Learning to walk before i run. Ill save doin stuff like that till at least.......tomorrow or this weekend. LOLOL

posted on May, 5 2007 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Apple computers always have good hardware.

Unlike Microsoft or the Linux distros, Apple software has always been made to work on specific hardware, except for a period of time when they let some companies make Mac clones, but as some of those were better than the real Macs they stopped it.

The software is not bad either.

The worst thing about Apple computers is those users that think that they are better than the others because they own a Mac.

posted on May, 5 2007 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaPThe worst thing about Apple computers is those users that think that they are better than the others because they own a Mac.

Agreed. And also Macs are incompatible with a lot of software...

For instance if your a gamer you wouldn't be caught dead with a Macintosh.

posted on May, 5 2007 @ 01:52 PM
link   

The worst thing about Apple computers is those users that think that they are better than the others because they own a Mac.

So true Armap. But i do have to admit that with the speed of todays pc's, i was a little guilty of thinking PC's were better than Mac. But now i see they both have their advantages and disadvantages.

I must say the Mac handles multitasking like no tomorrow. A pc would bog down with all the stuff ive been doing. For example, in a linux fashion, you can load winxp on a mac on a secondary desktop kind of way. I was pulling music, listening to music, tabbed to xp and ripping the music's drm off so i can play it on my creative zen, and logged into another user watching a movie. I was utterly amazed how non-chalant the mac did each task as if it was the only thing running. Bravo Mac.

posted on May, 5 2007 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I also am a nearly swicher, I got a MacBook about 3 months ago and I'm lovin it large. I still have my PC in the office and software wise I'm pretty basic, and I don't do games all that much.

But the mac just works, the amount of times I tried to make a DVD from all my camcorder fotage on my pc and just gave up... idvd! Thank the sun for rising

Really want to get my hands on creative suit 3...

Dribble dribble dribble...

posted on May, 5 2007 @ 02:20 PM
link   

So true Armap. But i do have to admit that with the speed of todays pc's, i was a little guilty of thinking PC's were better than Mac. But now i see they both have their advantages and disadvantages.
Today's Macs use the same hardware as PCs, so their performance should be more or less the same.

I must say the Mac handles multitasking like no tomorrow. A pc would bog down with all the stuff ive been doing.
Unfortunately, I do not have any way of comparing it, my PC is only a Athlon 1900+ with 512MB RAM running Windows Vista RC2, so it's not a match to a 2ghz Intel Core 2 duo.

posted on May, 5 2007 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Well my main rig sitting right here next to it is a Core 2 Duo 2.4 with 4gig of ram, raided stripe sata raptors with an ati x1950xtx vid card running XP Pro SP2.

This imac gives it a very hardcore run for its money. Yes your right ArMap. the Imac is a core 2 duo 2ghz with 1gig of ram, 160gig Sata II drive with an onboard x1600 Ati Vid. I took it apart to look at the guts and if i didnt know any better, id say its an Asus board also. Its kinda like a big laptop though. Its all based in one box with 17" monitor, cam, mic and speakers also. And the sound isnt half bad either.

My rigs in a Thermaltake tsunami tower. Just a bit(lol) bulkier than the imac.

posted on May, 5 2007 @ 03:18 PM
link   

I took it apart to look at the guts and if i didnt know any better, id say its an Asus board also.
Asus motherboards are my favourite.

They may not be the fastest, but they are, usually, the most stable.

My older computer, who is now always connected to the Internet to serve some web pages and distribute the Internet for all the other 3 PCs, has a Asus motherboard, and even with Windows 95 I only had some three blue screens in a year. Now it is some 9 years old and still works, 24 hours a day, without any problem.

The computer I use now, the Athlon, also has an Asus motherboard, and I connect and disconnect hard disks and even a PCI network card without powering it off (don't try this at home, kids) and it never gives me any problems, my only problem is the fan on the processor cooler, that sometimes does not spin at full speed when the computer is started.

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Asus is the ONLY motherboard i will use. back in the p3 days it was Abit, but after the 1ghz cpu, its been Asus ever since. Wouldnt have it any other way. nice choice of hardware there bud.

posted on May, 10 2007 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Parallels...the Mac version of VMware. A great little program. Anything i need to do PC wise i can run in that virtual pc environment. I keep finding more and more kewl things about the mac. Ill keep posting the neat stuff i find here. Oh ya, IDVD is another kewl little prog built into osx. No need for secondary software to create home movie dvd's. It just keeps gettin better by the day.

posted on May, 10 2007 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

That's rich in a thread entitled "Macs aren't so bad"

Anyway, you will be assimilated. You will all be assimilated.

posted on May, 10 2007 @ 08:18 AM
link   
No, I am imune to Mac adiction, they are not a good tool for what I want to do, and I have worked with one before.

posted on May, 10 2007 @ 08:28 AM
link   
I've been an Apple computer fan since before the Manintosh even came out. My first computer was an Apple ll Plus. My first Mac was the llfx. It had a wopping 16 MB hard drive, and was considered to have blazing speed! I've had 5 Macs since then, and I am the biggest Mac fan there is. I'm proficient on PC's as well, but I'll take a Mac every day.

posted on May, 20 2007 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I used to like Mac's a good while ago but then I realised that Apple could be much better. Darwin is free but what about the user interface and all the other stuff? It's closed source... Also OSX doesn't run on older MAC's because it uses a lot of resources. I've seen OSX eat up all the ram on macbooks with 1GB ram pretty fast. This doesn't happen with for ex Gentoo with similar applications. I know that Apple lives of hardware and not applications but if they just like Sun released their OS as GPL it would be very much appreciated among the fans. I don't like to support a company that uses DRM in their music either.

top topics

join