It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$1-a-litre gas is here to stay, so get used to it, experts say

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 09:54 PM
link   
here is the answer to your problems
check my Water Car post in science, don't expect them to sell them to you....but you can make your own.
22 liters of water from LA to NYC

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 10:40 PM
link   
coporate greed/ We're all being taken for a ride..

posted on May, 4 2007 @ 06:15 AM
link   
As of yesterday, the price at my local servo was 141.9c here in Australia. It just boggles the mind when they say in five or so years it could be over $5.00 a litre.

posted on May, 4 2007 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by almeister 5000
Try coming to england where a litre is smaller than an american one and costs us about 92-98p a litre. That works out about 2$US. I would be estatic if I could pay about 50p for petrol.

Huh?

A litre is a litre, no matter where you go!!

But, you're right, we're paying nearly $2/litre here. But I'd rather the motorists pay more in Tax for their choking fumes and the priveledge of driving, than Income tax going up to cover the shortfall.

posted by completenuttergit
BTW how much do u guys over the pond pay for a pack of 20 cigs ??
the average on those here is £5.50 .. i think thats nearly $10 for 20 smokes . Rip off britain is in full swing and ive gone off topic sorry!!

£5.50 for fags? what do you smoke? Benson and Hedges?

Don't listen guys, that's not the "average" price for fags in the slightest. Thats the highest price for fags.

I smoke Sovereign, which are £4.29/20.. Although I buy them in 10's @ £2.40/10. Many more fags are in fact much cheaper than that, but depends on what "flavour" you go for.

posted by completenuttergit
well my bloody day is well n truely ruined!!!

I think it is around $2 to the pound and it would cost me £45.00 to fill my tank and as im a driving instructor i go through £30 a day in fuel !! and thats about 40 odd litres a tank full !

i guess its time to try to become a US citizen !!!

well its got to be better than being a ripped off English slave !!

You have to remember, prices are relative. They pay $1/litre, we pay £1/litre. Their dollar is worth less, but they get paid in dollars too, so in effect, Americans actually earn less than us if converted to pounds.

For example, my job would pay c. $40-50K (£20-25k GBP) in the US.

It also pays £40-50K ($80-100K USD) here in the UK.

The pound may be worth more in exchange, but the prices don't actually make it that I can buy twice as much stuff with my money, rather, I am equally as well off here (without taking into account taxation and stuff) as I would be in the States.

If you went across to the states, you'd pay less for your stuff, but you'd also effectively be paid less yourself. So there would be no discernible benefit.

[edit on 4/5/07 by stumason]

posted on May, 4 2007 @ 12:01 PM
link   
yeah but their roads are virtually empty, I would swap places any day
I am sick of sitting in traffic jams for most of my day
and the place just looks cool or have I just been watching too much cable TV

posted on May, 4 2007 @ 12:32 PM
link   
stumason i would have to agree with the original poster on the fags question. Average prices are £5.00 to £5.50. Jesus my brand went up to £5.96 recently. Only place i can get them for £5.50 is if i go to Asda or Tesco.

I agree with prices of fags going up though to be honest as hopefully it will make people pack in including myself especially when the smoking ban kicks in in a couple of months

posted on May, 4 2007 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by thesaint
stumason i would have to agree with the original poster on the fags question. Average prices are £5.00 to £5.50. Jesus my brand went up to £5.96 recently. Only place i can get them for £5.50 is if i go to Asda or Tesco.

I agree with prices of fags going up though to be honest as hopefully it will make people pack in including myself especially when the smoking ban kicks in in a couple of months

Really? where on earth do you live and what are you smoking?

Jeebus!

posted on May, 4 2007 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Yeah i do smoke B&H lol .

and yes the price of getting less pay and things being cheaper and having freedom from this opressive regime we call a government , is worth thinking about ,

I see the fuel costs on the forecourts went UP another penny today 94.9p at Tescos today!! dont know why they just dont put 95p really!! do they think were thick or something ??

Sorry my bad ...... yeah they do and we let them !!!!!!!!!

posted on May, 5 2007 @ 10:12 PM
link   
It is obvious a thread on prices will turn into comparing prices worldwide --on fags as well (here I think Norway is most expensive) -- but it is less obvious if you compare goods in workhours, then with the case of gasolin the USofAlmighty is still the cheapest place on earth. Whereas some of the most pure contries probably are the most expensive.

I would like some figs showing how long you have to work to purchase one liter of gas.

Anybody got link?

posted on May, 5 2007 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by khunmoon
I would like some figs showing how long you have to work to purchase one liter of gas.

Anybody got link?

Surely that depends on what job you have and how much you get paid?

Someone on minimum wage in the UK (£5.35) would take 10 (£0.09/min) minutes to earn enough cash for 1 litre, but someone on more money would take far less time.

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Yes, that's right, the minimum wage as benchmark.

Five pound is about ten dollar, that'll buy you about five or six liters for an hours work.

Now what is the minimum wage in the States?

P.S. Many countries have minimum wages 50-80 cent but still has a gasprice higher than US (a dollar). So once more, there's no reason for whining, US is still the cheapest place on earth to buy gas.

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by khunmoon
Yes, that's right, the minimum wage as benchmark.

Five pound is about ten dollar, that'll buy you about five or six liters for an hours work.

In that case, the UK minimum wage would also buy you 5-6 litres/hours work.

It would be interesting to see how this measures up across other countries..

Anyone willing to chip in from their neck of the woods?

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 06:22 AM
link   
This is the 'for sure' best way to rate the impact of the price of gas.

In Canada, it's pegged at $8 even since Feb. 1.

So that means 6-7 litres, depending where you live. In the boonies, it's always more expensive than the cities, so that those least able to use public transit pay bear the heaviest burden.

About tobacco... with the price of chemically treated, fibre tipped cigs these days, I'm surprised more people aren't growing the stuff in their back yards.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join