It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Mac Pro Advice Needed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2007 @ 02:46 AM
link   
It looks like I'll be buying a new Mac Pro soon since I should be receiving a fat IRS refund sometime in the next month or two.

I'm wondering if the eight-core 3.0 GHz is really that much better than the quad-core 2.66 GHz model.

Plus I have an old Apple Cinema Display with ADC connector, so I'd have to spend at least like $100 on an adapter to get it to work. Should I just spend the extra to get a new matching Cinema HD new display? My mother could use this cinema display on her cube (which is still fine for her needs).

I guess basically the question boils down to new monitor or eight-core machine...

Any input from Mac fans familiar with these products would be appreciated.

[edit on 4/21/2007 by djohnsto77]

[edit on 4/21/2007 by djohnsto77]

posted on Apr, 21 2007 @ 10:11 AM
link   
I am not a Mac fan, but I can say that the eight-core could be overkill, depending on your use of the computer.

I have read somewhere that the applications must be optimized for the eight-core CPUs and the heat they produce is the double of a four-core CPU because that is what it is, a dual-quad-core CPU.

If you do CPU intensive work, like 3D or video rendering, image or data processing of any kind, the extra power will cut the time used (if the software is optimized) to half when compared with a quad-core.

posted on Apr, 21 2007 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Pfft! Mac is soo hippy!

PC is the way to go. VAio is a good option. (This is what I have)

posted on Apr, 22 2007 @ 03:11 AM
link   
I've lived my entire life without buying a PC clone, and I don't plan on changing that now.

I've always been a sucker for buying the fastest thing I could (I actually bought a Macintosh IIfx when it came out
)

But this time, I think the dual dual-core 2.66GHz Mac Pro looks fine for me. I just hope that check comes fast. my old G4 is on its last legs!

[edit on 4/22/2007 by djohnsto77]

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Got my new computer today!!!!

I got the dual 2.66 GHz dual core Xeon Mac Pro (4 cores total)

with one 250 Gb SATA drive, one 500 Gb SATA drive, and a eSATA controller for my old eSATA 500 Gb external drive.

I got 1 Gb RAM but will be ordering another Gb soon.

This is so effin' fast compared to my old G4 I'm still spinning

At least I made it back onto ATS!

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 01:53 AM
link   
That is awesome DJ. sorry i didnt see this thread before now. Sounds like you got a kickass rig there. I agree that the 8core is waaaaaay overkill and most apps wont utilize it anyway. Go with the extra gig of ram too. You can never go wrong with more Ram. Happy Power Mackin man. Im really enjoying learning the Mac.

IAF, i wouldnt own a sony if they gave me the fastest rig on the planet. Sony can bite my hairy butt. PERIOD.

Custom Built PC's or nothing. Theres nothing in an HP box that says HP on it. Same goes for Sony, Dell and the rest. They are boxes of the cheapest or close to components they can get from the lowest bidder in taiwan. Any monkey can build a PC. Its knowing what components to put in it that make the difference in quality.

[edit on 23-5-2007 by S1LV3R4D0]

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 09:41 PM
link   
HEY!

I have a Sony! Top of the LINE.
It's in the garage right now, awaiting a new power supply. LOL.

Building my own, next time around..

Hey DJ..
We just got a new Apple Monitor in..a 30 inch display.
I have NO idea why we have it..But there it is.
Looks cool, runs a little hot though.

www.apple.com...

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Holy CRAP. spacedoubt, youve got a 30" display just sittin there? Sweet jeezus man break it out and start using that badboy. That is one badarse lookin monitor. Whats the refresh rate on that thing?

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 09:14 AM
link   
I finally was able to get my old copy of Windows XP I bought to use with Virtual PC installed, so now its dual boot Mac/PC. Much, much better than using it under emulation which was painfully slow. I can still use it in a window under MacOS X with Parallels but it won't be at its full native speed.

Now what can I do with Windows???? I guess play games that don't come out for Mac.

I expect to get the 30" display sometime, but for now I'm just keeping my old cinema display. I bought the DVI -> ADC convertor for $99.

[edit on 5/25/2007 by djohnsto77]

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 09:18 AM
link   
You can catch enough viral infections to screw your beautiful new Mac.

Windows XP is about as safe as flossing with a Thai hookers G-string.

posted on Jun, 12 2007 @ 07:11 PM
link   
I have to say this must be the most versatile system out there. I'm running MacOS X, Windows XP and Solaris 10 at the same time!

top topics

join