It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The group webcam watching idea

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by V Kaminski
I'd like to volunteer for consideration by all concerned the notion that we petition the ATS Administration for a dedicated moderator for any mass events to ensure the tone of last night's accidently wonderful event is maintained for all to reasonably enjoy? Kind of a guaranteed monitor?

Whatever forum the CWW (Combined Web Watchers) actually wind up in, there'll be a number of assigned mods already, but I'd be happy to participate. There's plenty of webcam sites out there that aren't just watching for leprechauns in front of a painted landscape.

I'd be happy to join in on the fun, though. How about we get a nice list of sites we can visit? Then we can always rotate through a number without 20 members staring at one with a 5 minute refresh. We can also find ones that have good night-time resolution.

this is low res...
www.fs.fed.us...

but last nights cam was spectacular

[edit on 14/4/07 by masqua]

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 06:55 PM
link   
As exciting and funny as it was yesterday, I doubt a little that it is that easy repeatable. So I think I will not join.
But I hope I am wrong and I wish you a lot of fun and success!

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 07:04 PM
link   
This used to be an interesting cam, but it's now gone. It's a conspiracy...

White Island crater, New Zealand

edit to add: Hey, I found the cam. They changed the url and moved the dino a bit.
www.geonet.org.nz...

[edit on 2007/4/14 by Hellmutt]

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 07:11 PM
link   
interesting idea. Would be even better if we look for some software to throw into the mix, like a motion sensor for the webcam, if theres not any about im sure it could be written.

If you guys need it im happy to set up a jabber server (for instant messaging like msn) that you can use if that would be any help, it would allow people to chat with each other in realtime without giving away email addresses to other users, and might be better for quick transferring of images.

The offer is there

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 09:39 PM
link   
ok cool, so, we need to find (set-up) enough webcams with adequate views/resolutions/refresh rates etc, we've got a few already. We need enough willing participants to ensure we can cover all of them and we need a time frame for all of us to view them.

I like the idea of using some kind of software to communicate with each other and quickly transfer images. Also, I think, if possible, we should focus on areas which have had UFO activity in the past and places which are currently or have recently experienced 'waves' of phenomena.

I'm trying to put together the list of cams so far and will post it soon for scrutiny...

Any other ideas?

on a side note, isn't it an incredible thing that we can sit in the comfort of our own homes and actively monitor various locations around the world?
The internet is an amazing tool for so many pursuits and I think it is not as appreciated as it should be by many people. An amazing achievment.

This truely is the best and worst of times in history.......

not that I like Darles Chickens, I find him bleak..... wooh tangent. sorry....anyway you get the picture.

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Here's a nice cam... with the pyramids in the background.

www.camcentral.com...

I found it here

I could easily group the web cams we agree on and edit them onto the opening post, making them easy to find. Just say which ones to add and they're there.

Interestingly enough, there was a UFO on the pyramid cam just recently.

www.pyramidcam.com...

[edit on 14/4/07 by masqua]

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Count me in for the weekends, just give me a U2U in advanced if you ever set up a date. I'm serious, I read that thread and loved how it was done, so if you guys ever do a 'Web-cam' day, I'll be in for it! Just, again, U2U me in advance for the date.

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 11:57 PM
link   
www.earthcam.com...

Might come in handy. Seems to have a huge database. I just searched it and found a heap of webcams with nice sky views, so give it a try.

www.wxnation.com...
Cam over Fort Worth

[edit on 15-4-2007 by fooffstarr]

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 04:15 AM
link   
Someone mentioned the lack of certain objects (when it comes to visibility) due to the webcams being non-infrared.

There is a hack that lets you record stuff in infrared with your webcam / mobile phone / etc. etc.

It's a very "simple" modification, it's all about removing a filter.

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by -0mega-
It's a very "simple" modification, it's all about removing a filter.

Omega!
Could you give us some more information on that webcam modification to remove a filter on our webcams to be able to record stuff in infrared?

Also, for anyone who wants to put their own live webcam up on the net for free, check out this link:
www.mycampage.com...

Here's what it says about their free service:

Start your own webcam

NEW from EarthCam... all you need is a My EarthCam account and a webcam. We will give you the web page, software, and even host your camera images.

Whether you have a USB webcam or an IP Network Camera, MyCam Page delivers everything you need and makes it easy to share your webcam with the world.

I would like to set up my own live webcam directed over Lake Erie off my balcony. I live on the top floor of a 22 story hi-rise. There are hardly any planes that fly over this area -- just an occasional small plane every once in a while but other than that, the sky's here are pretty clear (with the exception of birds, of course). Plus this area is considered a UFO 'hotspot'.

I'll set up a webpage for my live webcam and will post a link to that page here sometime this evening.

Opps! Foofstarr already posted a link to the earthcam site. The link I have here is also the same site just a different page with information on how to set up ones own webpage with a live webcam on it using Earthcam's free hosting service. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

[edit on 15-4-2007 by Palasheea]

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 07:55 AM
link   
if you give me the html code i can put it on the net as well it will help stop the servers overloading just a thought?

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alienhunters
if you give me the html code i can put it on the net as well it will help stop the servers overloading just a thought?

Great! I'll do that! I will be setting up a page for this sometime this evening.

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 08:20 AM
link   
ok then either post here or send me a message

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alienhunters
ok then either post here or send me a message

Ok -- will do! Thanks!

[edit on 15-4-2007 by Palasheea]

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 08:52 AM
link   
ok - and what is it with one lineers being bad i dont get it all i know is i try to get one that is two lines

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Let's try to concentrate on the issue here. This idea has great potential.

On 1-liners, though, I'd like to point out a common misconception.

I'd never warn anyone for a 1-line post which adds to the discussion, it's the ones that add nothing at all that are the problem.

Here's a thread which details the 1-liner issue.

Now, let's get on with finding good webcams to list.

edit to add this Paris cam which has lots of sky in it. (thanks, J
)

[edit on 15/4/07 by masqua]

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 09:50 AM
link   
for the chat i think it would be better if we used msn or a chat room that we now will work, instead of making a new one just a thought?

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Here's a few i found, feel free to grab aby of interest,

Kitt peak national Obsevatory- very clear, www.noao.edu...

Grand canyon, www2.nature.nps.gov...

The Arizona Webcam
This view of the Santa Catalina Mountains looks north across the University of Arizona campus from the Computer Science offices in the Gould-Simpson building. A new image is generated once a minute.

www.cs.arizona.edu...

Reo Grande Cam
www.chimneyparkresort.com...

Fort worth Airport cam
www.chimneyparkresort.com...

Loch ness

www.lochness.co.uk...

[edit on 15-4-2007 by asala]

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I've edited the OP to list some of the locations suggested.

Keep them coming, folks

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Sounds like a fun idea.

I would help out when I have time.

<< 1    3  4 >>

join