It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is The Earth Changing Its Rotation?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Here is a graph that I found which implies that it may be...

Notice how it is seemingly swinging out? I wonder if anyone might have any idea about what is causing this anomaly. Also, it seems like the length of days is increasing. Look here

If this is indeed the case, the implications are bizarre.

Here is what the site said about it and how you can make a computation for yourself.

he following tool allows you to compute the excitation functions of the Earth rotation (according to the "Euler-Liouville" formalism) and to compare them to the geophysical excitation functions, as far as these later ones are available. Presently the geophysical excitation is restricted to the atmospheric forcing. Comparison is done through visual plot and computation of the correlation coefficients.

* The observed excitation functions (χx, χy, χz) are computed from the pole coordinates (x,y) and length of day changes ΔLOD of the IERS C04 series (sampling of 1 day, fluctuations > 6 days) according to the equations : χx + i χy=(x-i y) + i/σc d(x-iy)/dt where σc is the Chandler angular frequency : (σc = 2π/T ( 1 + i / 2 Q), T Chandler period, Q quality factor) and χz=ΔLOD/LOD (LOD=86400 s TAI)
* Effective Atmospheric Angular Momentum Functions provided by the Special Bureau for Atmosphere of the IERS (NCEP-NCAR reanalysis time series) (ftp.aer.com...) from 1962 to 2005/9/3 (see readme). From 2005/9/3 up to the current week these data are completed by those of the National Meteorological Center (NMC) (ftp.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov...).
* The atmospheric angular momentum functions are filtered and sampled before comparison. By default the pressure term is associated with oceans reacting as "Inverted Barometer" (IB) in front of the pressure variations : this is a realist approximation for variations larger than 10 days (for rough pressure term click the button "Non IB").
* Geodetic Excitation functions are derived from combined series C04 using an algorithm based upon trapezoidal integration of the geodetic excitation function.
* For the observed axial excitation the effect of zonal gravitational tides is removed.
The equatorial excitation function is based upon the knowledge of the Chandler term period T and its quality factor Q. As these parameters are affected by large uncertainties, we let you the possibility to tune them within the allowed bands (426

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Here is a bit more information

The Anomaly In The Earth’s Wobble Is?
Probably A Small Shifting of the Spin Axis.

(ECB May 24, 2006, MWM)

I believe that we can begin to call what has happened in this year’s polar motion anomaly. Some uncertainty about the motion of the Spin Axis is still present but here is my prediction. Larry Parks (Terra Research) in an email message to me termed the anomaly a “cartioid loop”. This is a classic fractal function in which a new expanding spiral loop function spontaneously emerges out of a contracting loop.

For the latest wobble track on this, see
Chandler's Wobble

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 03:36 PM
link   
One thing is the Tsunami of 2004 caused a slight wobble on the world, maybe that effect is getting bigger somehow. Anyway but what will we do if we find out the earth is getting further than the sun or the earth's orbit is slowing down or the axis is changing. Does not sound good for us anyway.

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Here is a graph depicting the Chandler Wobble

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by The time lord
One thing is the Tsunami of 2004 caused a slight wobble on the world, maybe that effect is getting bigger somehow. Anyway but what will we do if we find out the earth is getting further than the sun or the earth's orbit is slowing down or the axis is changing. Does not sound good for us anyway.

It really doesn't look good for us. You are correct, TimeLord. Particularly if it is starting to move away from the sun. Now, there are some scientists who are saying that instead of being concerned about global warming, we had better be prepared for an ice age.... Maybe this is a part of it.

[edit on 13-4-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Michelle Mandeville had this to say on her site:

One can see a displacement of about 1.5 grid units, making a total displacement of about 0.03 arcseconds. That’s close to one meter for some six years of polar drift, which averages out to some 15.4 cm/yr, which is higher than the long term average rate of drift of approximately 12 cm/yr, but not radically higher. It is equivalent to a modest acceleration in the rate of drift, such as from 30 mph to 37 mph.
Not good

Now, I don't know about anyone else, but an increase of 7 miles per hour seems like a lot to me,especially when one thinks about the reasons for the increase of speed. Et cetera.

She goes on to say:

Metaphorically it is as if the "gear" of the revolving Earth is grinding ruggedly and perhaps breaking up at this "rough spot". Since the X position of the Spin Axis is moving into higher numbers, it means that it is moving closer to England down Greenwich Meridian. But actually it is moving at an angle of 45 degrees to the East, towards Northern Russia. OR, TO SAY THE SAME THING IN REAL MOTION OF THE CRUST, the crust of the Earth is moving UP Long. East 45 across the equator with more vector vigor than in any other direction.
Earth breaking into pieces?

Now, we all know that there has been crustal movement throughout history. However, the question is, how will it effect civilization. It almost seems as if the continents are moving back towards one another to form a pangea.

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 03:48 PM
link   
It kind of looks like it wants to eventually rest on its side, the ball of the earth from the the graph seems like it's turing over. Are you sure its moving away and how can you tell its not just like a pool ball where the number turns but rests on the side after after its it's been hit? I just don't know too much about the graph in how to read it hope you can explain.

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I found this on NASA's site.

CHANGES IN THE EARTH'S ROTATION ARE IN THE WIND

image of the earth

Image 1
Click on image or here for animation.

Because of Earth’s dynamic climate, winds and atmospheric pressure systems experience constant change. These fluctuations may affect how our planet rotates on its axis, according to NASA-funded research that used wind and satellite data.

NASA’s Earth Science Enterprise (ESE) mission is to understand the Earth system and its response to natural and human-induced changes for better prediction of climate, weather and natural hazards, such as atmospheric changes or El Niño events that may have contributed to the affect on Earth’s rotation.

graph of angular momentum

Image 2

“Changes in the atmosphere,
It's not just what the "Woo-Woos" are saying. It is happening

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 03:53 PM
link   

It kind of looks like it wants to eventually rest on its side, the ball of the earth from the the graph seems like it's turing over. Are you sure its moving away and how can you tell its not just like a pool ball where the number turns but rests on the side after after its it's been hit? I just don't know too much about the graph in how to read it hope you can explain.

Well, the graph from the Mandeville site seems to indicate that the earth is rotating inwards, like water going down a drain. However, the chart from the hpiers.com site seems to imply that it's rotating outwards.. They look like conflicting charts to me.

Now, NASA seems to want to think that it has something to do with the change in weather patterns here on earth that is causing this change in Rotation. I honestly don't know.

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 03:56 PM
link   
From the NASA site

From year to year, winds and air pressure patterns change, causing different forces to act on the solid Earth. During El Niño years, for example, the rotation of the Earth may slow ever so slightly because of stronger winds, increasing the length of a day by a fraction of a millisecond (thousandth of a second
Source

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I wonder if the melting ice caps are like paper weights for the earth, they must weigh a bit and effect the stable position we once had. I think if its recent then this must be the Tsunami effect and now it won't stop, will scientists suggest blowing up a landside in the ocean to counter act this wobble and make a counter quake? Like something from a sci-fi movie?

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Nice research but do you have a baseline chart of what was presumed normal earth rotation, so I can see side by side the fluctuation which is occurring?

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 04:07 PM
link   
This may not be exactly what you were looking for,Jack. However, here is a chart of "normal" rotation. Let me see if I can find something more telling for you

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 04:10 PM
link   

I wonder if the melting ice caps are like paper weights for the earth, they must weigh a bit and effect the stable position we once had. I think if its recent then this must be the Tsunami effect and now it won't stop, will scientists suggest blowing up a landside in the ocean to counter act this wobble and make a counter quake? Like something from a sci-fi movie?

TimeLord, that is the general idea about the ice caps. It has been asserted by many that the ice caps do indeed act as an "equalizer" for the earth's equilibrium.

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Obviously, this is the common view of how the earth rotates

spiff.rit.edu..." target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>

Obviously, it isn't doing that currently. I am having a hard time finding a graph chart of the earth's typical rotation.

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Jack, here is a graph chart of how the earth's rotation has changed from 1977-2000. I don't know if this helps but, anyway, here it is:

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth

TimeLord, that is the general idea about the ice caps. It has been asserted by many that the ice caps do indeed act as an "equalizer" for the earth's equilibrium.

Wow if thats the case I am not as thick as I thought, I have not read into this my self so its only a mathamatical guess in my mind and logic. I guess they are the earths stabalisers. One thing that might not relate here is the times of Noah happening again as as the next comming of God is to a sign to look out for. I won't go too deep its just a thought and don't expect people to stretch this issue out further either. They say the earth will line with the centre of the galaxy in a few years time along with some planets. Just another factor to think about.

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 04:33 PM
link   
This rotation bit may be why some people are reporting the sense of time speeding up and slowing down.

am reading Sobel's Longitude , and she speaks of the Earth's rotation rate slowing as a result of tidal forces. At what rate is the Earth's rotation slowing down? What will be the result of this slowing, and how long will it take?

The Answer
The interaction of the Moon and the tides is pumping angular momentum out of Earth's spin and into the Moon's orbit.

Currently the day is lengthening by about 1.5-2 milliseconds per century. tycho.usno.navy.mil...

This is thought to be higher than normal due to resonance frequencies in the slosh time of the current configuration of oceans (which changes with continental drift). If this were to continue forever, the Earth and Moon would end up tidally locked so that they kept the same faces towards each other throughout each day=month which would be about 50 of our current days long. However, the Sun will expand and incinerate the Earth well before that happens.

David Palmer
for Ask an Astrophysicist
Time and Rotation

There is a thread on here at ATS where someone said it seemed like things were getting "thick" and time seemed to be "slowing" down. Perhaps the rotation of the earth is what is causing this "slowing" down of time.

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Wow if thats the case I am not as thick as I thought, I have not read into this my self so its only a mathamatical guess in my mind and logic. I guess they are the earths stabalisers. One thing that might not relate here is the times of Noah happening again as as the next comming of God is to a sign to look out for. I won't go too deep its just a thought and don't expect people to stretch this issue out further either. They say the earth will line with the centre of the galaxy in a few years time along with some planets. Just another factor to think about.

TimeLord, there is much talk about a "Harmonic Convergence" that is to take place just before the "change" that is to come... Perhaps all of this fits in line with that idea. I honestly don't know. This issue about a different rotation of the earth is news to me. I didn't realize it was occurring.

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I am a believer in upcoming ~EARTH CHANGES~
In so much that I think that a change in the earths rotation is SUPPOSED to happen. Alot of people refer to it as a 'polar shift' in that the poles of the planet will completley change. I do not know if it means change exact positions so that North is now South, or maybe even only change halfway so what we now know as the equator will become the polar region.... Now weather it happens super fast, or slowly is yet to be decerned.

I watched some show on PBS with a geologist that said according to the record in the layers of the earth itself it happens VERY fast.

Some people claim that PROOF POSITIVE this takes place that in fact that Greenland was fully mapped way back in the long ago times......
I think the proof also lies in the fact that geologists can see it in the earths layers and the time is upon us for it to happen again.

[edit on 13-4-2007 by theRiverGoddess]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join