It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CBS Fires Don Imus Over Racial Slur

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I totally disagree this is about Shaprton and Jackson just as well if it were not for them Imus probably would just have appologized in private and everyone would have let it go at that.

As for past actions of Imus can you furnish some examples of what you considered wrong? I realize he is and always has been some what of a controversy but that is the nature of the job he had, kind of like O/Reilly on Fox. It got paid for being out spoken.

Now a few examples would help because what you may consider bad, I may not. I was not real fond of the man myself but I did enjoy the antics of his staff and now thanks to Jackson that will no longer be

It just amazes me that you appear to want to defend Sharpton although you claiim you are not what I am reading reaks (sp) of defending him/them.

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots
Now a few examples would help because what you may consider bad, I may not.

I know you weren't asking me, and Grover might have other examples, but here are some that many people are upset about. I'm not terribly sensitive, so none of these bother me, but I 'get' his sense of humor and I don't feel that words hold any more power than what I give them. And then there's that freedom of speech thing.

Imus himself has referred to African-American journalist Gwen Ifill as "a cleaning lady," to New York Times sports reporter Bill Rhoden as "quota hire" and to tennis player Amelie Mauresmo as "a big old lesbo." Imus called Washington Post reporter Howard Kurtz a "boner-nosed... beanie-wearing Jewboy," referred to a disabled colleague as "the cripple," and to an Indian men's tennis duo as "Gunga Din and Sambo." In Imus' words, the New York Knicks are "chest-thumping pimps."
Source

And I'm not sure he's been warned or cautioned before. It's like he's been getting away with this for a long time and then one time, SLAM, he gets the book thrown at him.

Does anyone know? Has Imus been warned before? Has he apologized? Or did this incident just cross some imaginary line that he was unaware of?

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 06:16 PM
link   
First to Shots: You can read into what I have written anything you want but I have gone over what I have posted and nowhere do I support Sharpton, at the same time, nor do i oppose him. I really don't think one way or the other about him at all.

Second to BH: Those are the examples of what I was thinking of and I am glad someone found them... I had looked but was apparently looking in the wrong places. And yes he has been warned before about his language. That more than anything is the key reason I do not buy into his crocadile tears. He knew exactly what he was doing and just assumed all he had to do was apologize again and that was that.

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 06:21 PM
link   
grover, how you said you feel about Sharpton is how many feel about Imus. Just because I support his right to say what he said, doesn't mean I AGREE with what he said or support him in general. You had said something about you can't believe how many people support Imus and I'm just saying that supporting him and supporting his rights are 2 different things.

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 07:35 PM
link   
BH while what I see are good examples they really are nothing when you consider what other shock jocks say daily and no one says a thing. It just so happens this time Imus got fired and now the world it kicking him while he is down, it happens all the time. Frankly I saw nothing in those examples that shocked me either. I could care less if he called some reporter a cleaning lady for all anyone knows some other shock jock may have called her worse, she is a times reporters ya know.

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Grover have you every heard of Mark Belling?? he is a shock jock from Milwaukee and has been in his far share of controversies yet he still has a job, Ya know why because the likes of sharpton and Jackson never entered the fray

Belling issues formal apology for on-air use of ethnic slur; Radio

County supervisor names Belling in suit

There are more but two should give you a hint. As you can see Imus is not the only shock jock who ever ran into trouble over racial issues and it will not be the last, unfortunately for him Jackson and Sharpton jumped on their wagon. And once again I am not defending the man I was not fond of him to start but I did like members of his staff who gave me a good laugh or two when I needed one.

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Shot, none of your arguments change the fact that Imas was wrong in what he did. He does indeed have the right to say anything he wants as long as he accepts the fact that there are (and should be) reprocussions for his behavior. Sharpton and Jackson are totally illrelevant to the fact of his behavior. Personally I am glad one of these shock jocks are being held responsible for their behavior. I do not approve of racism, or sexism, or bigotry of any form and there is nothing amusing or entertaining about it, I don't care who does it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join