CBS Fires Don Imus Over Racial Slur

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 05:12 PM
link   

CBS Fires Don Imus Over Racial Slur

www.cbsnews.com

CBS announced Thursday that it has fired Don Imus from his radio program, following a week of uproar over the radio host's derogatory comments about the Rutgers women's basketball team.

But Imus found himself at the center of a storm after he called members of the Rutgers team "nappy-headed hos" last week. Protests ensued, and one by one, numerous sponsors pulled their ads from Imus' show. On Wednesday, MSNBC dropped its simulcast of the program.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 05:12 PM
link   
This is frightening, quite honestly. Not about Imus, he's an idiot. He said something offensive and stupid, and he deserved every bit of derision that he received.

But this is a dangerous precedent: if you say something offensive, then you could be taken off the air waves. Where does it stop, and who decides who gets taken off?

Sure, no one is going to line up to defend Imus. Least of all me. But what happens when it is someone you agree with. Last night, Kieth Olbermann had a list of other people he thinks should be fired. The list included Limbaugh, Mike Savage, and Glenn Beck. I don't necessarily agree with everything that those people say (Mike Savage in particular goes out of his way to be inflammatory and vitriolic), but they aren't spewing racially motivated vitriol, and it is frightening that one person can make themselves the arbiter of who stays and who goes.

Today it may be someone we all disagree with, but tomorrow it may be someone that 50% of the people disagree with. Or someone whom 20% of the country disagrees with? Or someone one person, the decision-maker, disagrees with?

It is a frightening day in America.

Quis custodiet custodes ipsos?

www.cbsnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 05:20 PM
link   
You said something for Don Imus when they came for him.

I hope that others do as well, for when they come for us, no one will notice.

I suggest watching those that applaud this... They are the ones that want to round you up and put you behind a fence.

Big Brother Monkeys, not just for PCthink anymore...

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 05:26 PM
link   
We should start a list. As people come out with their opinions as to whether he should be fired or not, then we should post them here.

Unfortunately, I think that politics wins the day here. All of the liberals like Olbermann and Clinton are happy that he's gone, and McCain and Giuliani are upset that he was taken off MSNBC.

Let me just say... ahem...

THIS ISN'T ABOUT POLITICS!

It is so frustrating that it always comes down to who's the donkey and who's the elephant.

[edit on 4/12/2007 by Togetic]

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 05:28 PM
link   
The thing that bothers me about this is what about other hosts in TV and Radio who use politically incorrect terms for various ethnic groups, races, and religions and arn't even accused of using slurs. Why him? I have heard far worse come out of the mouths of albeit non-white hosts yet he is singled out. Why?

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 05:33 PM
link   
It's him because the powers that be wanted to put him on the chopping block. Now Jesse Jackson is meeting with CBS and NBC to talk about diversity. But that's not the problem here, the problem is that someone said something stupid, but now it's over. Here come the vultures to pick at the remains and make political hay out of it.

What happens when the powers that be want to get rid of Cindy Sheehan? Or another left-wing talker? Then everyone is going to switch sides and everything will be backwards and hypocrisy will be the watchword.

I worry about the return of the fairness doctrine; I wouldn't want anyone's statements to have to be balanced.

I hope that this just dies down and goes away.

[edit on 4/12/2007 by Togetic]

apc

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I heard on the radio that CBS taking this action followed immediately after a meeting with Reverends Sharpton and Jackson.

These media networks have always been spineless in recent memory. This issue just shows what two bigoted pieces of feces can accomplish when they go up against a cpl big steaming corporate piles.

I will do a little dance when Sharpton and Jackson go missing. Their racially inflammatory expectorate needs to end before they kill more innocent people than they already have.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Imus has done more for people in this country that Sharliton & Jacka$$ combined. The ranch he has for kids with cancer isn't enough for these two pieces of scum.

What do people really think but dare not say?
Violence would not be stopped "by pretending it is not young black kids doing it". Tony Blair

brisbanetimes.com.au

Blacks have a lot more to answer for than Imus.

mod edit, format links

[edit on 12-4-2007 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 06:15 PM
link   
ARE YOU GUYS CRAZY? It is about time these talk radio heads were held accountable for the hate and and division they sow. Maybe the time has finally come to hold Ann Coulter, Micheal Savage and Mush Loosebowels accountable as well.

apc

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Yup, they should be held accountable. Starting with Al Sharpton.

Savage and Rush may exaggerate to prove a point, but the majority of the time their frame of reference is 100% accurate. I don't listen to either of them... Savage bores me and Rush just rants about Liberals all day. But I have yet to hear either of them intentionally create racial division and intolerance. Sharpton and Jackson make a living off it.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 06:20 PM
link   
The danger is not the talk show radios and their free speeches, the danger is the Al-Sharptons and Jesse Jacksons they are ones that are vomiting their foulness all the time without repercussions because they are the righteous protecting the division that is killing our nation with political incorrectness and racism.

The same groups that call themselves protectors of civil rights and equality are nothing than hypocrites.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
ARE YOU GUYS CRAZY? It is about time these talk radio heads were held accountable for the hate and and division they sow. Maybe the time has finally come to hold Ann Coulter, Micheal Savage and Mush Loosebowels accountable as well.

As I said... Watch who applauds this.

Nothing like silencing a voice... Or a series of voices... As long as they're the voices YOU want silenced...

Open up the camps, and fill them up! If they get too crowded, we'll find a solution.

Perhaps there will be some good come of this... Maybe we'll see who the jack booted thugs really are.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Wishing outload here

I would love to see one or two tabloid reporters catch Jackson and Sharpton on camera knocking whites then give them a shot where it would hurt the most. . Ah vengeance would be so sweet

I hope I Man gets a show on satellite then we can all watch the payback since it is not govt or regulated as normal FCC broadcasts are.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Okay, I'll put it simply. When people say stupid things, especially racially charged stupid things, advertisers cant afford to risk the public equating those stupid thoughts with their product. And remember, the advertisers on BET, MTV, and the crap channels are not the same as the ones on MSNBC. So, they remove their advertising.

Studios can't risk losing money this way. It's not about punishing, or any of that crap, it's about a network's advertising revenue, which is where they make their money. It works the same for radio.

To everyone using this as an opportunity to vent their racial frustration, Learn to pick your battles!

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots
Wishing outload here

I would love to see one or two tabloid reporters catch Jackson and Sharpton on camera knocking whites then give them a shot where it would hurt the most. . Ah vengeance would be so sweet

Do you not remember the "Himey Town" incident? That screwed Jackson up pretty good.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420

To everyone using this as an opportunity to vent their racial frustration, Learn to pick your battles!

Is not that people said stupid things, but the realizasion and undertanding that is only allowed when is by one side only . . .What the issue is all about.

[edit on 12-4-2007 by marg6043]

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I bet if 50 cent was hosting his own show on MSNBC those same advertisers that pulled out because of Imus would pull out on MSNBC because of him.

Or do you think they would stick with him?

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
I bet if 50 cent was hosting his own show on MSNBC
do you think they would stick with him?

I think yes, because is all about money and when a rapper use the n word or degrade women in their lyrics, is call (art and self expresion) When an old white man like Imus say something derrogatory is call racism

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 07:04 PM
link   
They fired him because the advertisers started to pull out, not because of what he said. If the advertisers had not pulled out, he would not have been fired. They would have stuck to the two week suspension.

I doubt they care what Jackson or Sharpton think.

I think this comment would have gone over badly from a black male or white male. It just was not the thing to say.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Racism against whites I would bet is much higher then others races in this country IMHO. At least in Major Cities, Most Whites I know go out of there way to not be racist. The media portrays older white guys 80% as Goofy or Non Hip while other races are portrayed just the opposite. If the media portrayed stereo types on other races like they do White guys there would be an uproar.

Racism is a disease that at this moment its ok if your not white. We need to hold EVERYONE accountable or non at all.

Personally I think everyone is too damm PC, I have friends of ALL races and we get a kick out of cracking on each other and stero type jokes are not out of bounds because at the end of the day not one of us gives a crap what the skin color of anyone is.

Just my 2 cents

[edit on 12-4-2007 by ShiftTrio]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join