It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CBS Fires Don Imus Over Racial Slur

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Politicians have been saying stuff like this for years. As a matter of fact, it just happened with the whole US attorney firings, but that's a different subject.

Once again, simply put. Don't piss of the advertisers, they hold your job in their hands when it comes to TV/Radio. It's not political, it's not a social commentary, it's just money, money, money. (I guess the money part could be seen as a social commentary, but not the one that's getting so much airplay)

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Freedom of any type is predicated with the responsible use of it, including freedom of speech. Yes Don Imanass has the right to say anything he wants on the air as long as he accepts responsiblity for the reprocussions. Thing is so many like Micheal Savage or Ann Coulter and their ilk use the 1st amendment rights to hide behind when they say their hateful things and that is not only wrong but cowardly.

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
And remember, the advertisers on BET, MTV, and the crap channels are not the same as the ones on MSNBC. So, they remove their advertising.

Au contraire, my friend.

The same people (CBS/Viacom) who fired Don Imus also own MTV and BET. So, they pay out one side for rappers to do their public women bashing, while shutting down Imus for the very same thing. Not only that, the same advertisers who pulled out of MSNBC either advertise on or partially own MTV.

It's all about the money. Let's not be fooled into thinking it's about morals or taking the high ground or sophisticated channels as opposed to crap channels.

Source

Companies like General Motors, Procter & Gamble and American Express simply decided they didn't want to be associated with a program that filled the public airwaves with vicious slurs, and thus pulled their advertising.

Chevrolet, a division of General Motors, and MTV's “Break the Addiction” campaign are partnering around the 2006 VMAs to help educate viewers on E85 ethanol technology in an effort to raise awareness about reducing greenhouse gas emissions and curbing dependence on fossil fuels.
Source

The Procter & Gamble Company (NYSE: PG) and Viacom Plus, the cross-media sales and marketing unit of Viacom (NYSE: VIA, VIA.B), announced today an unprecedented cross-platform marketing partnership. Representing the largest such deal to date, the agreement encompasses marketing initiatives for P&G brands across twelve Viacom television properties: CBS Television Network, MTV, MTV2, VH1, Nickelodeon/Nick at Nite, CMT, BET, UPN, TV Land, Paramount Television, King World and Comedy Central.
Source

MTV is one-third owned by the public and two-thirds owned by Warner Amex Cable Communications, the joint venture between the American Express Company and Warner Communications Inc.
Source

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Let me clarify then BH. The advertisements that they show on MTV , BET....

I think we all know that the same owners own just about everything. That's Viacom, Clear Channel, and the rest. The point is that if anyone is going to be upset at anyone, it's a wasted effort for white people who love Imus to hate black people who love Nelly. I care for neither BTW. As a matter of fact, these advertisers are milking this division for all it's worth by advertising on the news channels that started this whole division thing.

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 08:08 PM
link   
What bothers me is all of the people who are saying that it is ok for gangsta rappers to use that type of language because it is art. Comedy is art. Why is one different from the other. If the comment offends, then no one should say it regardless of their race, etc.

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I believe I will chime in on this issue:
What is kind of funny, is that now, people are talking about the language and refererances that are used towards the african americans and women in general. What he stated to a point, you can hear on any rap song by any modern day rapper. However, there was an old term that was used during his broadcast, that removes all doubt as to what was going through his mind. If you are curious about such, I can direct you to the muscial Hair. Beyond that, I do think that this is being blown way out of proportion, as now the people who are suppose to be leaders of communities are stating that they will be going after anyone who states such or puts the african amercian community down. My question for them is will they be cleaning up that community and going after those who make this popular?

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
... it's a wasted effort for white people who love Imus to hate black people who love Nelly. I care for neither BTW.

Agreed. What's good for the goose should be good for the gander.

I was heartened as I turned on cnn tonight to see black people discussing the double standard and how they had to take responsibility for "giving white people the idea that this language is acceptable". I also surfed around and saw black panels discussing this on several channels. All with the same overall message: We must be responsible and police ourselves if we are going to demand a certain treatment of ourselves from white people.

I must say after some of the posts I've been reading on this board, I was encouraged to see that not everyone is drawing this imaginary line between white and blacks as regards what can be said about blacks on TV.

Niger Innis, spokesman for the Congress of Racial Equality, said that jumping on Imus -- and not taking on the rest of the system -- is foolish.

"The hypocrisy of these media empires that are full partners in the grossest industry, the hip-hop industry, that pumps out the most vicious stereotypes of African-Americans, the hypocrisy is just gross," Innis told CNN's Zahn. "And they're going to -- they're going to slap Don Imus on the hand because they're so offended?"
Source

I watched Imus every once in a while and I listen to rap every once in a while. I don't support either one of them being censored or taken off the air. I just think that, whatever happens, they should be treated equally.

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 09:09 PM
link   
It really doesn't matter one iota whether some rapper uses racist slang or not. It doesn't matter who else does either. All that anyone of us can be responsible for is ourselves and there is no telling me that Don Imas did not know that what he said was hateful and wrong, consequently he needs to accept responsiblity for his words, and the punishment as well. Is this a freedom of speech issue? No not really. No one is preventing him from expressing his opinion... after all who is foolish enough to defend calling someone a nappy headed ho; much less these young women who have proven themselves to be of much higher calibre than Mr. Imas? He can be as ignorant and racist and sexist as he wants to be BUT there has to be a time and a place where we say enough is enough...such comments were out of place 50 years ago and are even more so today. Be a man and accept your punishment.

That being said....the only reason he is being fired is that the insensitivty of his remarks were hurting the profit margin. It would have been better if he had been dismissed right from the beginning instead of hearing from advertisors first but something is better than nothing.

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 02:34 AM
link   
You can buy a momento of this scandalous scandal!

My favorite is the cute teddy bear:

Product Details

Our plush bear is a cutie in his own message-bearing t-shirt and festive red ribbon. He’s a great gift for Valentine’s Day, baby showers, birthdays, get well-wishes, a pair of wedding bears, or any reason you dream up. Put a smile on someone’s face. Just grin and bear it!

From Caf épress

[edit on 4/14/2007 by djohnsto77]

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 05:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShiftTrio
Racism is a disease that at this moment its ok if your not white. We need to hold EVERYONE accountable or non at all.

Personally I think everyone is too damm PC

[edit on 12-4-2007 by ShiftTrio]

I love this quote, and will award 1 ATS point for you! I think this will be my last for the month.

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Okay, putting the reason for his firing aside, I don't think he meant it in a hateful way, just as empty airtime banter. We've all said random stupid stuff when not thinking, so I don't blame him in any way. However, when you're on the air, and your advertisers are listening, you have to be careful of what you say if you want to keep your job.

It's just the nature of business. I hate business, but if you want to keep a job in it, you have to do stupid stuff.

Also, as he gets older, Imus has gotten more and more "old mannish". You know, saying random stuff at awkward times. You know, you saw it happen to Dan Rather, and we're seeing it happen to Larry King. It's almost like the advertisers wanted to cut out early before he started to say other random stuff during dead air.

We don't want to hear this type of stuff dribbling out of the radio

Dear Mr. President, There are too many states nowadays. Please eliminate three.

Well, whenever I'm confused, I just check my underwear. It holds the answer to all the important questions.

"Man alive, what a stinko thousand years. Blimp wrecks, teenagers, then again we had two TV shows with Andy Griffith."

or

I wish I tried reefer!

*All quotations courtesy of Abe "Grampa" Simpson.

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Lets face it this would be a none issue if it were not for Sharpton. He made it into a huge issue for publicity regardless of what he claims. Had he just called Imus and asked for an apology to be made in public I am sure Imus would have obliged which he did, but wait Shaprton was not happy with the way he said it enough said. Plain and simple he was out to ruin the mans life

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by shots
Plain and simple he was out to ruin the mans life

True enough. But I'm not sure Sharpton has that much power. Some Doubt that Sharpton really has enough "weight" to bring anyone down. I think Imus brought himself down. Sharpton helped, but this issue has been waiting to be exposed and dealt with, in my opinion. And it was probably public outcry and the Rutgers team that really did the work here.

Sharpton just got in on the action... It's his way...

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 12:17 PM
link   
You are wrong shots... Imas did it to himself. He publically and flippantly trashed some very fine (and obviously quite classy) young women and Sharpton, Jackson or not I am glad he was called on it and punished... this kind of crap has been going on the predominately right wing talk radio for far too long and these people, Imas, Savage, Limbraugh, Coulter, Beck etc. always end up hiding behind their first amendment rights when they do it claiming that is you object to their hateful spewings you must be anti American and all that bull hooey. It is a matter of simple decency.

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
But I'm not sure Sharpton has that much power. Some Doubt that Sharpton really has enough "weight" to bring anyone down.

Oh I am sure you are right he did not do it on hss own absolutely, but he did get the ball rolling and shouted the most, that was my point.

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
He publically and flippantly trashed some very fine (and obviously quite classy) young women and Sharpton, Jackson or not I am glad he was called on it and punished...

You see unlike you I am not going to fault the man for being human. He was on the air live and said something by mistake that he should not have, yet you and shaprton are making it out as if he did it intentionally. Wrong Wrong and Wrong again old chap. He made a mistake others heard what he said then they took it to the media and cried foul, My guess is he would have called and apologized on his own once he realized some might have been offended.

On one set of interviews I watched one lady/girl was asked if nappy was offencive and her answer was it depends on who says it. Who Says it>>> give me a break, if that is the case they should have all the rapper fired also which is not the case.

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 01:41 PM
link   

some very fine (and obviously quite classy) young women

I'd just like to say that we don't have any way of knowing how fine and classy these women are. Sure they get good grades and are on the team, but that doesn't mean anything about their "social status". I'm not making any judgment about them, good or bad, but let me just say that in my experience, a girl can be in the top of her class and have "quite a reputation" if you know what I mean.

For all we know, Imus could have been right on the money with his crass remark. We don't know.

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Years ago there was this elderly black man who came into the restaurant I worked at on a fairly regular basis. Mr. P was in his late 80's early 90's when I knew him... he was a WW1 vet and he always dressed up in a suit and tie. One summer day it was in the 90's and very humid and Mr. P came in. i was at the bar at the time and I asked him how could be stand being all dressed up like he was in the heat. He said:
"I have to admit I am sweating like a n----- at a Louisiana lynching."
"Mr P!" I said shocked.
He laughed and smiled and replied.
"You see I can say that and get away with it, but you cannot."

I was raised in the south in the 60's and 70's and even then even the most racist a-hole knew that there were certain words that were hateful and hurtful and would not use them against a black person they knew. They were degrading then and still are.

I know Imas is human and as a human being he should know better. I am appalled that there are people on here who think it is alright.

How would the feel if those girls were white say Italians and referred to as WOPS or whatnot. We are supposed to be better than that at this late date.

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 02:14 PM
link   

I know Imas is human and as a human being he should know better.

So let me get this right you never in your life let one little word slip out my mistake???

The man is human he said something he should not have and he apologized. I a not saying he is right but allow me to point out in my dictionary the word nappy simple says kinky or fuzzy unlike the other N word it does not say its use is vulgar in anyway. Now I am talking about the American heritage versions in print I am sure by now several online versions now consider it to be vulgar where it was not two weeks ago.

Let me ask you this Gloiver why haven't Sharpton or Jackson apologized to the players that were accused of raping the one girl? She did it deliberately as I understand yet she got away with it? Their life's while not ruined certainly have a big burden to over come and we all know it.

Now that all the dust has settled on that and it has been determined they were wrongfully accused why hasn't Sharpton apologized to them? Is he so above the world he can accuse someone wrongfully of something and get away with it. I do not think so. If I were the players I would demand he and jackson make a public apology.

Keep in mind when they were first accused he and Jackson were the first to speak out and call for their heads.

As you can see when it comes to the likes of Jackson and Sharpton they have two sets of standards one for them and one for others. :shk:

Frankly I have no respect for those two but I do for Bill Cosby he at least is trying to do it the right way.

And While you are at in kindly explain why you feel it is OK for rapperts to call them hos and get away with it daily?

[edit on 4/14/2007 by shots]

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I have no interest in either Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson or rappers, nor do I justify them any way. Should Sharpton and Jackson apologize to the Duke players... of course they should but this thread is not about Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, rappers or the Duke players, it is about Don Imas, who if this was the first and only time he has said something racist, bigoted and/or sexist (hateful or whatever you want to call it) on the air I would say give the man the benefit of the doubt, BUT he has a long track record of just this sort of thing... saying something foul and then apologizing afterwards. Once, maybe twice I can see but this is a pattern and it is not like he does not know, he most certainly does because he has been called on it before but still does it. That is the real issue.

I liked rap when it first made its appearance in the late 70's but all this stuff that has come afterwards, especially gangster rap holds no interest for me... I think it is ugly and is neither art or music. Give me craft and nuance any day.

[edit on 14-4-2007 by grover]

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join