It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Duke lacrosse players: Case closed

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Duke lacrosse players: Case closed

www.cnn.com

RALEIGH, North Carolina (CNN) -- Free of sexual offense and kidnapping charges, three steely-eyed former lacrosse players at Duke University called Wednesday for reforms in the justice system and restraint in the media.

"This whole experience has opened my eyes to a world of injustice that I never knew existed," said Reade Seligmann, one of the exonerated athletes.

All charges against Seligmann, David Evans and Collin Finnerty were dismissed, North Carolina Attorney General Roy Cooper announced earlier Wednesday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
apnews.myway.com
www.foxnews.com
www.msnbc.msn.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
www.abovepolitics.com...
OP/ED: Drudge Rape Poll: Disgusting
Prosecutors Drop Rape Charges Against Duke Lacrosse Players
www.belowtopsecret.com...

[edit on 12/4/2007 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Unlike the Imus story, this one is rapidly disappearing (the only thing disappearing faster are the old web pages by individuals who proclaimed their guilt), The sad thing is, this story involves real injury. Make no mistake, Don Imus's remarks were uncalled for, and he should be held accountable for his transgressions (he has, in a very short time). The Duke Rape Case has been anything but expeditious, and the number of people that have suffered injury is lengthy. Unlike the Rutgers Women's Basketball Team, the three accused, their families, and the coach of the Duke Lacrosse Team will not find suitable redress of damages. The perpetrator of the event will not face charges, and will disappear into anonymity until such time she is arrested, or dies... Either are likely sooner rather than later due to her mental illness, substance abuse problems, and her "profession." Mike Nifong, who whored himself to the local electorate will probably be disbarred, removed from office, and show empty pockets when confronted with civil suits likely to come as a result of his malfeasance, and prosecutorial misconduct. There is little that couldn't happen to him that wouldn't be justified. I'm sure there's already a raffle at Marrion Correctional as to who's belt loop Mike is going to be hanging on to. The only thing that might save him from seeing some "old acquaintances" is a Federal Civil Rights Violation conviction. One can only hope, and pray

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 12/4/2007 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 01:08 PM
link   
This was all over the news this morning on TV & radio. A special point of emphasis was about the AG making the statement that the accused were innocent. Normally in a situation like this, there'll be a statement about "insufficient evidence to proceed".

Obviously, the AG is looking to have Nifong hung out to dry.

No this story won't get as much play. It's not as titillating and no one's "protesting" anything.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mirthful Me
Unlike the Imus story, this one is rapidly disappearing (

Doesn't it just burn you up!?!?!

Here are three bright and successful young men who were falsely charged with a vicious rape. The woman is a whack. The press goes nuts and destroys their lives. But now that the charges are dropped, there is no interest.

The DA should be charged. That woman should be charged too. She's supposedly claiming mental health issues. So what? That doesn't mean she should get away with false charges ... and this is NOT the first time she'd done it!!

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 01:12 PM
link   
meet the accuser

Now that she's no longer a 'rape victim' and now that we all know she's a liar (psychopath??), the press is under no obligation - voluntary or otherwise - to withhold her name and information.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Go to the MSNBC home page... Their link to the story is buried down in the "Sports" section (about two page scrolls down). I remember when this story broke, it was was about everything but sports.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Are Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton going to apologize to the Duke Lacross players? They portrayed them as guilty from the get go.
Sharpton Link
Jackson Link

The Rev. Jesse Jackson said Saturday his Rainbow/PUSH Coalition would pay the college tuition of a black woman who alleges white members of the Duke University lacrosse team raped her.

"There's more evidence that violence occurred to her than she's the lead of a hoax," Jackson said.

Bet if it were black players accused, and then found innocent, they would be all over the accuser's right now.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by WellSee
Are Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton going to apologize to the Duke Lacross players?

They definately should. They should be apologizing to the players and apologizing to everyone just like IMUS did. IMUS is actually behaving better than Jackson and Sharpton at this point.

Oh .. and you can include the DUKE faculty in the list of those who should be apologizing too. Many of them signed some rather public denouncings of the three young men. I don't have a link to it, but the TV news was talking about it. The faculty stomped all over these three INNOCENT young men as well.

A major black eye for DUKE that will last many years.

So .. where's the apology Mr Sharpton? Where's the apology Mr. Jackson?

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by WellSee
Are Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton going to apologize to the Duke Lacross players? They portrayed them as guilty from the get go.
[

Are you kidding sharpton apologize??? It will never happen it is OK when he does it but not when others or didn't you know that> I do not like what happened with I Man and I am not real fond of him but given what Rap groups get a way with I find this whole thing very hypocritical. Just last night on one network some females were asked about the use of nappy and they said well it depends who uses the word. Depends who uses the word????? Hmmmm seems like they wanted to hang someone out to dry to me.

As for hanging the DA out to dry I doubt that will ever happen now that he appears to be hiding behind a physco defense that some allege the accuser had.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Nifong gave the lamest non-apology apology I've ever heard. I think he's just digging himself a deeper grave:

USA Today

"To the extent that I made judgments that ultimately proved to be incorrect, I apologize to the three students that were wrongly accused," Durham County District Attorney Mike Nifong said in a statement.

Nifong will be disbarred and lose his job forthwith.

These guys are going to get millions out of the state, then probably make more from book deals etc. Still it doesn't make up for living for over a year in fear of going to prison for decades over something you didn't do. They deserve every penny they get.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
So .. where's the apology Mr Sharpton? Where's the apology Mr. Jackson?

Sorry. Mr. Sharpton and Mr. Jackson are too busy lynching Don Imus right now to reply to these events.

Besides I think I read on one of the other threads on this that these Men should be tried and convicted even if innocent, in order to make amends for all of the other incidents of this type that have happened. Wait. Sorry. That was members of the Duke faculty that said that.

To me the greatest injustice here was how Duke handled the whole thing. These students were expelled before there was even a trial. Now there are those who will still say that they bought their way out of this by hiring expensive lawyers.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Has fallen...

(CBS/AP) CBS announced Thursday that it has fired Don Imus from his radio program, following a week of uproar over the radio host's racist comments about the Rutgers women's basketball team.

www.cbsnews.com...

So Don Imus, guilty of poor judgment has paid a heavy price, Mike Nifong guilty of felonious conduct is still collecting a check.

All is right with the world.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 05:57 PM
link   
It seems like hardly a week goes by we don't read of someone on death row who was innocent. How do we repay these people? What is a destroyed reputation and life worth. I think filing a false charge should carry a life sentence and it should be enforced vigorously. This girl should be prosecuted. They let her off with the proof of the crime in hand.
What a bunch of cowards. Duke should be picketed daily by thousands of honest people for the next year to make the point. The "88" instructors should be sent packing and have their credentials and degrees stripped for being frauds.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 06:30 PM
link   
I am very happy for the boys now young men that had to go through a bunch of BS because somebody wanted to pursue their political career.

But as everything only people with money can pursue the truth and win against the corruption of some justice system like the one they had to deal with.

The boys had more than a crew of 10 lawyers working in their case.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Are you sure about that Marg?
Here....Is an interesting article.

The Lone black player on the team, who incidentally was not asked to give a DNA sample.

Sole Black Duke Lacrosse Player Says White Teammates Stereotyped

Good Morning America Interview

[edit on 12-4-2007 by spacedoubt]

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 06:45 PM
link   
The woman should serve prison time for all three men she accused, 3 counts of aggravated rape, send her butt in jail and let her rot. It is what would have happened to these men had she and the corrupt justice department had there way, it is only fair she serve the sentence she nearly had imposed on the real victims.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 06:50 PM
link   
They can spin the whole story anyway they want but the true is that they are clear of all charges, because it was not evidence to the contrary, you know the whole ordeal and what the purpose of pushing this case was all about.

It was all about political agendas.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Duke Lacrosse CRAP!

I don't drop in this forum as much as I should I guess. I just want to bring to light in the latest Duke drama event. First and for most I hold the University in the wrong on all this. Second I hold the D.A. for being a complete idiot. Third I hold the Lacrosse team as well. Yes, I said the team. These guys are not innocent victims here. And yes parties like this goes on all the time at college and no they are not going to stop because of this. Maybe a little more thought into the event but stop .Not! What really pisses me off is that at lest one of these knuckle heads involved in this whole rape crap Collin Finnerty was invovled the summer prior to the rape event in a RACIAL fired event in Georgetown outside a bar/pup. This guy was charged on gay-bashing type hate charges. So everyone tossing the innocent victims needs to think and back research why that D.A. might have taken this case and ran with it. These guys have VERY wealthy families and can toss alot of money at this. If this were guys of a NOT so blessed family of deep pocket resources then they would be in jail right now.

And I'm so ticked that I really have nothing more to add so you guys have at it.

www.vanceholmes.com...

www.collinfinnerty.us...

www.washingtonpost.com...

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 08:03 PM
link   
There's no evidence that anything illegal happened at the party. -- it's not illegal to hire strippers.

It seems, tsloan, that you forget in this country we are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. In this case, however, it went much further than that. These young men were proclaimed innocent by the State. That is extremely rare if not unheard of. Under impartial review the State decided that no crime had occurred there. The boys were exonerated!

I know Finnerty got into a scuffle where it was accused that his group attacked someone because they thought they were gay. But this was never proven in a court and the D.C. dropped all special hate-crime charges. Again, innocent until proven guilty. Plus, a technicality, sexual orientation is not a race.

It's amazing to me that in this day when Imus can lose his career over a slip of the tongue, people are still standing up for a D.A. and lynch mob that wanted to put these young men away in prison for decasdes without even a trial, based largely on race and social status baiting.

[edit on 4/12/2007 by djohnsto77]

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by tsloan
Duke Lacrosse CRAP!

How do you explain the disparities in the stripper's stories, the fact that one of the boys had an iron-clad alibi, that the DNA evidence showed nothing, the fact that the prosecutor is now being brought up on ethics charges for not disgorging exculpatory evidence, and the fact that the state and Nifong came out and said the boys were innocent? What point are you trying to make?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join