It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another Intersting View on the Imus Situation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Jason Whitlock is a columnist for Kansascity.com ( link below ).
He has written a column regarding the Imus situation.

Please read it carefully and try not to let race play a factor in any thought or reply.

Imus isn’t the real bad guy

Thank you, Don Imus. You’ve given us (black people) an excuse to avoid our real problem.

You’ve given Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson another opportunity to pretend that the old fight, which is now the safe and lucrative fight, is still the most important fight in our push for true economic and social equality.

You’ve given Vivian Stringer and Rutgers the chance to hold a nationally televised recruiting celebration expertly disguised as a news conference to respond to your poor attempt at humor.

Thank you, Don Imus. You extended Black History Month to April, and we can once again wallow in victimhood, protest like it’s 1965 and delude ourselves into believing that fixing your hatred is more necessary than eradicating our self-hatred.

The bigots win again.

While we’re fixated on a bad joke cracked by an irrelevant, bad shock jock, I’m sure at least one of the marvelous young women on the Rutgers basketball team is somewhere snapping her fingers to the beat of 50 Cent’s or Snoop Dogg’s or Young Jeezy’s latest ode glorifying nappy-headed pimps and hos.

I’m no Don Imus apologist. He and his tiny companion Mike Lupica blasted me after I fell out with ESPN. Imus is a hack.

But, in my view, he didn’t do anything outside the norm for shock jocks and comedians. He also offered an apology. That should’ve been the end of this whole affair. Instead, it’s only the beginning. It’s an opportunity for Stringer, Jackson and Sharpton to step on victim platforms and elevate themselves and their agenda$.

Full article here: www.kansascity.com...

I totally agree with what this guy said.

By the way... he's black.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 10:04 AM
link   
This just in...

Imus is through apologizing...

Amid the outcry over the incendiary and racially charged comment he made on air last week, shock jock Don Imus said Thursday "I've apologized enough" and that he will not go on "some talk show tour."

"I'm not going to go talk to Larry King or Barbara Walters or anyone else," Imus said on his radio show, which originates from WFAN-AM in New York and is syndicated nationally by Westwood One, both of which are managed by CBS Corp.

www.cnn.com...

Good for him...

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 11:00 AM
link   
It is sad when things have to come to this.

The man apologizes but he is too white to have his apologies accepted.

When a raper is asked accountability for his derogatory used of the N word and degrading women of his own race is call art and self expression and he keeps making money.

I see everything as a whole pot of BS.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 11:08 AM
link   
This entire situation is bunk. Until headline black comics, such as Chris Rock for example, stop cracking racial JOKES against white people, black people have no right to expect it to stop coming the other way. Don't get me wrong, I love Chris Rock, but anybody who has seen some of his comedy knows that "crackers" are a good portion of the act. Yet, no outcry that this has to stop. What Imus did is no different.

It seems that equality is not the goal here anymore, it's privilege. Blacks have the right to say what they want, because they're the minority, but whites can't do the same thing aimed back the other way. I know it's been said countless times before...but where's the white compliment to BET and what kind of outrage would it produce if it came to light?

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I think we should we all remember that comedians are pretty much the only people who open the air and provide a forum for people to acknowledge the rediculousness of racism and stereotyping.

Comedians allow all of us to laugh at ourselves, ultimately dis-empowering the typical racist, stereotypical lexicons. Comedians bring us together. What other forum allows a crowd of mixed races to all laugh and for the most part feel comfortable laughing at jokes directed to all walks of life? I can't think of any.

Carlos Mencia may be the best at doing this. If you haven't watched his shows, you should - and as he says best..

'If you ain't laughing, you ain't living!'

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Jason Whitlocks' column adresses a large part of the ruckus & fallout

i;v seen, while flipping between 6AM morning news channels,
Imus speaking against the MSNBC shared stage set up thats
home or the TV venue of his radio show, complaining more than once
about the either noisy staff of the home network or their inactivity,,,

i see the slip of the tongue as a planned, deliberate slur, intended to cause
controversy & put the MSNBC and parent CBS broadcast arrangements
in a purgatory place.
As, its my opinion that Imus has a strategy to shed the commitments
hes in already.... for a better, all around deal in Satellite Radio, where he can broadcast from 'The Ranch' - instead of traveling (at his age)
to the MSNBC facility.

i didn't have my cable '55' on at the time, so i didn't hear the context or flavor of the banter...
its my view that he casts enough seeds of un-PC material ....that one
of them seeds would find a fertile spot to grow into the briarpatch he wanted....

well executed, end around move there Mr Imus

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio
hes in already.... for a better,As, its my opinion that Imus all around deal in Satellite Radio, where he can broadcast from 'The Ranch' - instead of traveling (at his age)
to the MSNBC facility.

Yes I imagine that much,
I love satellite radio I can not live without it.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I'm a little upset today that they pulled his show off the air (TV) this is when he does his "telathon" to raise money for the Kids Ranch...

I don't know how many people know this, but Imus and his wife run a ranch for "sick" children to come spend some time and have fun.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Yes I imagine that much,
I love satellite radio I can not live without it.

Do you Sirius or XM? I'm an XM'er... doesn't matter though, pretty soon they'll merge.

BTW.. .Opie and Anthony on XM today were advertising for Imus and his telethon for the "ranch" good job guys..

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
I don't know how many people know this, but Imus and his wife run a ranch for "sick" children to come spend some time and have fun.

Yes. Imus 'donates massive amounts' to the ranch. Of course - the ranch is also his second home and by having it a charity he gets a tax write off. By donating to himself (the charity) he gets major tax breaks too.

I was very impressed with The Ranch until yesterday. Now, after looking at it, all I can say is that it does good work, but it is also probably a financial windfall for IMUS.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Do you Sirius or XM? I'm an XM'er... doesn't matter though, pretty soon they'll merge.

We have XM it came with the car my husband bought but they are merging so let see what they will be offering now.

We listen to the comedy and occurs favorites top hits.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 05:39 PM
link   
None of this is going to hurt Imus one iota. He will move on to subscription radio or whatever it's called and make even more than before.

If nothing else, America might wake up to the hypocrisy exhibited by the Sharptons, the Jacksons, and the black journalists who disallow whites in their conventions and other functions.

As I've said before, I don't condone the behavior of these disc jockeys, in fact, I loathe them, but this brouhaha has made those who have called for his head look like crybabies and MSNBC and CBS look like whores.

[edit on 2007/4/12 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
As I've said before, I don't condone the behavior of these disc jockeys, in fact, I loathe them, but this brouhaha has made those who have called for his head look like crybabies and MSNBC and CBS look like whores.

I was not a fan of Imus but the hypocrecy been excreted since his incided made a racial issue tells how our country is divided and who are the ones pushing the division.

You are right Grady, MSNBC and CBS look like whores, but the question is who their CEOs kiss too.

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 07:21 AM
link   

try not to let race play a factor in any thought or reply.

Um .. this whole thing is about race and capitalism. So race HAS to be part of any reply.

As for the article -

Having angry, racist, and woman-degrading rap 'music' rhythmically pounded into the heads of impressionable youth and young adults day in and day out will definately have a major negative effect upon them.

As for Sharpton and the black community as a whole - in reference to RAP - Best to take the log out of your own eye before trying to remove the splinter in someone else's ... eh??

[edit on 4/13/2007 by FlyersFan]

new topics

top topics

join