It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pakistan Test-Fires Nuclear Missile

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Pakistan Test-Fires Nuclear Missile

www.breitbart.com

SLAMABAD, Pakistan (AP) - Pakistan successfully tested an indigenous short-range, nuclear- capable missile on Saturday, the military said.

The surface-to-surface Abdali ballistic missile—with a range of 125 miles—was launched from an undisclosed location inside Pakistan. The missile "can carry all types of warheads," the military said in a statement issued from Rawalpindi, a garrison city near the capital, Islamabad.

The military did not provide any further details, but Pakistan and its nuclear-armed rival, neighboring India, routinely test missiles.

Pakistan's latest comes about a week after India tested its indigenously developed air-to-air Astra missile, with a range of up to 50 miles.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 01:37 AM
link   
As if tensions were not already high enough in the Middle East, now India and Pakistan are flexing their muscles at each other.

www.breitbart.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 01:51 AM
link   
If this bit of saber rattling might also be related to this:

Pakistan to support Iran in case of US attack

The opening act has begun, it remains to see how long this play is, and whether it's a comedy, or a tragedy.

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Nuclear Pakistan, shares with North Korea, North Korea and Pakistan share with Iran, Iran uses its buying power to secure contracts with the Russians to obtain nuclear technologies, and build reactors/power plants.

With the current news, and tensions... this is all quickly becoming a powder keg, only requiring a spark to ignite into a destructive war.

Did Bush have real insight, or was it just a good guess when he named the axis of evil?

Or did he strike fear into these nations, thus spurring them on to defend themselves by obtaining real weapons of mass destruction?

We can hope that at some point, Iran will make some compromise and give into diplomatic pressure from the International community, and avoid starting a war. A war that could by all accounts bring about a potential level of death and destruction not seen since WWII.

The waiting game continues...

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 02:28 AM
link   
it says that....

“We would support Iran if attacked by the United States and would not provide airbases to America,” he stated in categorical terms.

www.thenews.com.pk...

But what if it's the UK that leads the attack, maybe he chose his words carefully.........

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 01:01 PM
link   

He meant he will not let his territory be used by a foreign power for staging attacks on a 3rd country.
Actually no self respecting country would do that.
And not when 'he' is involved in a proxy war with the very same British forces in Afghanistan.
The British NATO contingent in southern Afghanistan? They're about to be subjected to a renewed Pak-based Taleban offensive in spring 07; covertly ignored by Pak forces who remain 'obivious' to these activities on their sovereign soil.

The test is routine. As is a couple of Indian tests that have taken place over that last few days.
Both nations inform each other of ballistic tests in advance.Since this was a cruise missile, Pakistan said it did not inform India.

Not something that would constitute a 'normal' environment these tests, but 'routine' nonetheless.

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by UM_Gazz
Did Bush have real insight, or was it just a good guess when he named the axis of evil?
Or did he strike fear into these nations, thus spurring them on to defend themselves by obtaining real weapons of mass destruction?

Interesting how he left out the core supplier of nuclear tech to this 'axis'..
Interesting how that supplier is a MAJOR non-NATO ally etc etc..

Can you imagine??
BOTH Iran and North get their nuclear know-how from a 'major US non-NATO ally'!

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by thedigirati
But what if it's the UK that leads the attack, maybe he chose his words carefully.........

Pakistan is a member of the Commonwealth. So it will have to support the UK.

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but what good is a nuclear tipped missile that only goes 125 miles? Seems that if you're going to launch a nuke, you'd what to send it a little farther away from where you launched it.

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by surfinguru
Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but what good is a nuclear tipped missile that only goes 125 miles? Seems that if you're going to launch a nuke, you'd what to send it a little farther away from where you launched it.
Well its only good for India which is Pakistan's most likely enemy for the next war.

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by surfinguru

No, a short range weapon like that is called a “Battlefield” or “Tactical” weapon. It would have a very small yield warhead, and is made for taking out ground forces that are approaching your forces.

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 05:49 PM
link   
[removed quote of entire previous post]

Okay Have a look at the Davy Crockett , 125 miles? try chucking a nuke 1.24 miles!! (1996 meters!!)

The Davy Crockett consisted of an XM-388 projectile launched from either a 120-millimeter (XM-28) or 155-millimeter (XM-29) recoilless rifle (the 120 millimeter version is shown above). This weapon had a maximum range of 1.24 miles (120 millimeter) to 2.49 miles (155 millimeter). The XM-388 casing (including the warhead and fin assembly) weighed 76 pounds, was 30 inches long and measured 11 inches in diameter (at its widest point).

If that little peice of kit don't put the willys up you don't know what will.

If any one has any footage of this thin please post!!

Mod Edit: Quoting – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 1-4-2007 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 06:20 PM
link   
oh, it could be sabre rattling, or a response to Indias' missile tests...

but the 'ballistic missile' (not cruise missile) just may have been intended as a demonstration of support or a 'solidarity' jesture...

to show support for the recent Saudi King Abdullah statements that bad mouthed the occupation armies/forces in neighboring Iraq as illigitimate and an affont to the Arabian community of nations.

...............->

as for the 'axis of terror/evil'...GWBush could of put Pakistan in the fold instead of N.K....but strategic imperatives dictated that Pakistan &
Kahn who created the 'Islamic Bomb' not be included...(fallout from Afghanistan & armed Mujahideen)
that's why (imho) N.K. was given aid/assistance, secret data from whitesands, leeway & a blind-eye as to their secret nuclear programs
for most of the Clinton then Bush43 administrations.

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 06:50 PM
link   
This is a very bad time for Pakistan to be fireing missles for any reason! It's just stupid and provoking.

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 07:15 PM
link   
I have said it once and I will say it again this administration has its head up its place where the light don't shine, with its fixation with Iran's nuclear program when it should really be worried sick about the situition in Pakistan. I wouln't put money down on Musharref lasting out the year and God help us if Pakistan and its nuclear stock pile should fall into the hands of one of its pro Taliban, pro Al Qeada generals. Iran is just posturing and talking big... those guys in Pakistan I am afraid would be playing for keeps.

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Pakistan doesn't HAVE to support the UK just becaues it is a part of the Commonwealth!!
How absurd is that?!

If the missile was the 'Babur' then it was a cruise missile and if it was the 'Abdali' then it was the 'Abdali'.
It couldn't have been anything else.
I'm stil confused on what exactly was tested.

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Pakistan and India have been testing missiles on a regular basis, it's simply normal deterrence in action.

Tensions between Pakistan and India have actually abated a lot over the past few years - I wouldn't read too much into this, and I doubt it has anything to do with the situation in Iran. Just a routine test.

posted on Apr, 1 2007 @ 06:44 AM
link   
I think its pathetic. Both teams are out of the cricket world cup in the early stages... WHen both should have done alot better. So if they cant compete on the pitch they have to compete with thier nukes... Why worry about Iran obtaining nukes when u already have an entire country full of lunitics that already have nukes. Pakistan were so outraged that their team fell out of the cricket world cup so early they burned pictures to the players in the street fired the captain and murdered the coach..

If you ask me I think its pakistan every1 needs to worry about THEY ARE ALL LOONEYS!!!! and I know sum1 is going to say not to generalise because of a select few that went over the top and got too competitive but # it wasnt just a few... (Pakistani rational) "team loses too early=kill coach, angry mob of hundreds threaten players and sack every1" yeah they should have nukes

[edit on 1-4-2007 by ka0s69]

posted on Apr, 1 2007 @ 10:09 AM
link   
[removed quote of entire previous post]

You said it man!
Absolutely pathetic performance in the Windies..
Both Pakistan and India..

Mod Edit: Quoting – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 1-4-2007 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Apr, 1 2007 @ 01:38 PM
link   
The only reason for test firing, is to "test" the missile. Maybe adjusting a new guidance system, rocket fuel economy to save fuel and Global warming
etc. Everyone knows Pakistan has missiles and nukes so it won´t prove or accomplish anything by just wsting missiles.

Such comments like "saber rattling" are created by the press to shock the public.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join