It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A forum request to the Admins: Drugs forum

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 05:22 AM
link   
I would just like to request that a drugs forum be put into Below top secret. This would be a place for intelligent discussion on illegal and legal drugs alike, keeping all the druggy threads away from the rest of the board ( which many would probably be pleased with) and giving many members a place to discuss something that is extremely important to their lives and within our society in general.

posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 06:02 AM
link   
what do you mean by " important in their lives" ?

posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 06:04 AM
link   
*looks for lysergic*

posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by earthtone
giving many members a place to discuss something that is extremely important to their lives and within our society in general.

It might be "your society" in general, but ATS is an international board and there are many countries which have much stricter drug laws than the US.
By putting up such a forum, ATS would basically be condoning drug use and there are those from other nations who would not be able to visit this site.

It would also make for bad publicity. This is a conspiracy site. By creating a specific forum you are giving a voice to those people who (wether you like it or not) are using something that is illegal. ATS is starting to get noticed in the media. Making us look like a bunch of junkies is a terrible idea.

You can also guarantee that there will be those who post in that forum who will condone drug use. You may say that you don't have to go to that forum but what happens to those who are impressionable? ATS is about looking for conspiracies and searching everywhere. Some people have taken on board arguments that have been convincingly put here on ATS. You may find some people who visit that forum and are turned onto drugs by some of the arguments there.

And what about dangerous drugs? As we have already seen on ATS, people make posts about pot and then we go onto how great '___' is. Where will it stop? Threads about how great crack coc aine is?

The only conspiracy regarding drugs is why people take them to escape reality. This board is about confronting reality. Not avoiding it.

posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Leveller

It might be "your society" in general, but ATS is an international board and there are many countries which

so you are saying that drugs are not a part of society? Do you get out much leveller? Drugs are everywhere. Whether you like it or not drugs (prescription or illegal) are a part of every society.

By putting up such a forum, ATS would basically be condoning drug use and there are those from other nations who would not be able to visit this site.

how would a forum discussing the issues and problems of drugs be condoning them? Are you saying any discussion about drugs has to be saying that they are completely ok? This is not a good point.

It would also make for bad publicity. This is a conspiracy site.

erm thats what BTS is for, discussion not relating to conpiracys.

By creating a specific forum you are giving a voice to those people who (wether you like it or not) are using something that is illegal. ATS is starting to get noticed in the media. Making us look like a bunch of junkies is a terrible idea.

So intelligent discussion relating to drugs will cause people to look upon a whole community as junkies? I don't think so. Drugs discussion is onlypossible if your a junkie? Is that what your saying?

You can also guarantee that there will be those who post in that forum who will condone drug use.

This is an opinion. In a free society opinions are allowed.

You may say that you don't have to go to that forum but what happens to those who are impressionable?

Those who are impressionable only have to look at music, films, magazines and any other number of websites to see things supporting drugs. Do you really think that a forum on the internet is going to make somebody go pick up a needle? Don't be so ridiculous.

ATS is about looking for conspiracies and searching everywhere.

And what about dangerous drugs? As we have already seen on ATS, people make posts about pot and then we go onto how great '___' is. Where will it stop? Threads about how great crack coc aine is?

People should be allowed to make their points about the benefits and the downsides of drugs. There really isn't an argument for the benefits of crack coc aine so you don't really have to worry about that one.

The only conspiracy regarding drugs is why people take them to escape reality. This board is about confronting reality. Not avoiding it.

well my friend drugs are a reality in every city, town and region on this planet so you better start waking up to that fact.

posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheSwordMaster
what do you mean by " important in their lives" ?

I'll let you figure that one out sword master

posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by earthtone
Do you get out much leveller? Drugs are everywhere. Whether you like it or not drugs (prescription or illegal) are a part of every society.

My friend, I probably get out a lot more than you ever do or ever will. I probably have more contact with drugs than you ever do or ever will due to my chosen professions.
It's true that wether I likeit or not, drugs are a part of our societies. But also whether YOU like it or not there are those of us who do not choose to take them or condone them.
If you wish to do so, kindly do it elsewhere.

"How would a forum discussing drugs, condone them"?
You either haven't read the vast majority of threads here regarding this subject or don't understand the word "condone". And to deny that there won't be threads condoning drug use is to embrace ignorance.

so you are saying that drugs are not a part of society?
YOUR society. As I stated, this is an international forum. There are different laws in different countries. Imagine if some kid from Malysia is found viewing a site which contains specific threads that condone drug use.

Those who are impressionable only have to look at music, films, magazines and any other number of websites to see things supporting drugs. Do you really think that a forum on the internet is going to make somebody go pick up a needle? Don't be so ridiculous.
I don't know if you've noticed, but there are some very coherent and intelligent people here who are (as I said) able to put an argument across very well. The whole point of this forum is that some of these arguments might be powerful enough to change people's lives. Do you think that drugs related arguments would be any different if put in such a form?

People should be allowed to make their points about the benefits and the downsides of drugs. There really isn't an argument for the benefits of crack coc aine so you don't really have to worry about that one.
What right does somebody have to tell me how good drugs are? Not only does medical research and society tell me that most drugs are not a good thing, but my own common sense does too. For someone who enjoys taking a drug as a recreational hobby to tell me that they are great is arrogant and conceited. He could not know my physical or psychological reaction to them and would be working only on guesswork. Personally, I can't think of anything more boring than reading a thread entitled "My first trip" in which the author raves on about how great '___' is and how many green elephants he saw. The fact that he needed chemical inducements to conceive such a thread takes all credibility away from him.
As for your comment regarding crack-coc aine? It might be regarded as having down sides to you. But that is YOUR opinion. There are people who like taking it and could easily disagree with you so your point is totally invalid.

well my friend drugs are a reality in every city, town and region on this planet so you better start waking up to that fact.
That doesn't mean to say that ATS has to publicise sad addictions or condone their use.
And as I stated before - I'm already awake.
I'm not the one who has to hide behind a chemical to escape reality.

posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 07:29 AM
link   
i'd have to give this a no. first i think the subject matter is too specific to warrant having its own forum, MAYBE a sticky in a forum but not a forum all unto itself.

second, ive seen the debates on this board pertaining to drugs and believe me it doesnt change anyone's mind, it doesnt make people more tolerant of them. if anything it has made people more entrenched in their beliefs about drugs, some good, some bad. basically it becomes a holier than thou fight/who the hell are you to judge me argument and really doesnt get much further than that.

i understand you like drugs, not everyone does or will. if you want to discuss drugs then do so in a forum on BTS but i really dont feel that such a specific subject warrants its own forum.

It would also make for bad publicity. This is a conspiracy site. By creating a specific forum you are giving a voice to those people who (wether you like it or not) are using something that is illegal. ATS is starting to get noticed in the media. Making us look like a bunch of junkies is a terrible idea.

ok we also have people on this site who buy into the most whacked out conspiracy thoeries i've ever heard of and THAT wouldnt make us look weird/paranoid/kooky to the mainstream? i dont see how one negative impression is better or worse than another one. maybe if you can enlighten us all as to how one is better than the other...
so i dont see how talking about drugs (even just in a thread let alone a forum) would hurt us. and the day i start giving a damn about what the mainstream thinks is the day i stop coming here. i dont come here for a popularity contest. yes its great they're paying us some attention but are we here to get there attention first or to learn and exchange ideas? i know what my answer is.

You can also guarantee that there will be those who post in that forum who will condone drug use.

there are those who condone the death penalty and some find that to be morally repugnant, are they still not allowed to say they believe in the death penalty just the same? of course they are. we are a controversial board and for good reason. time to shed society's shame and discuss such things in an open manner instead of in the broom closet like anne frank hiding from the nazis. i dont have any fear of reprisal for what i think, intimidation will not work and neither will oppression or persecution.

You may say that you don't have to go to that forum but what happens to those who are impressionable?

they choose to be. they want to be molded into something, what exactly they arent sure so fall for several things before finding their own path in life, we've all been there at least once. its how you learn, its how you find out who you are, its a part of life and growing up.

ATS is about looking for conspiracies and searching everywhere. Some people have taken on board arguments that have been convincingly put here on ATS. You may find some people who visit that forum and are turned onto drugs by some of the arguments there.

heavan forbid people have free thought! thats just outrageous, we cant allow that! ok seriously...you dont think wanting to keep drugs illegal/ a back door issue a conspiracy? certain drug laws in the US were based on racism, not the harm the drugs themselves could do, that came later as propaganda for the governments stance agaisnt them even though such "findings" have been widely refuted time and time again by many sources, some very reputable. the fact the US made certain drug illegal because of race rather than the drugs themselves is a conspiracy in my book. other countries might have sticter drug laws but other countries have looser drug laws as well.

even those who smoke crack know its not good for them but people have something called free will. they are free to harm themselves any way they wish. this whole notion we should protect the stupid from themselves is absurd to say the least. people on this board love beer and spout how wonderful it is even though beer has lead to many people drinking and driving and KILLING people every year but i dont see anyone saying we shouldnt talk about beer. and we all know how prohibition went so we need not bring that up at all.

people drink alcohol to escape reality, people eat to escape reality, people gamble, they lie, they steal, they cheat, they kill, they rape they murder, the destroy. everyone finds a vice for themselves, drugs being just one of a seemingly infinite number of things a person can do to escape reality or a certain ascept of it.

there is a lot more to the issue than this, a LOT more. i'm not for drug use but i feel that adults should be allowed to do as they please to themselves so long as it hurts noone else, as soon as it effects someone else, their job, their life, their family, then they have to pay the price of their actions, sometimes through criminal court.

i dont use drugs, personally i'm against them but i only apply MY standard of morality to myself, as it is the one i set. but i dont object to openly debating them. how else can we understand if we refuse to discuss the issues? how can we find solutions to the problems that plague us if we ignore them and wont confront them head on? burying our heads in the sand is the exact opposite of denying ignorance, the objective of this board.

posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 07:41 AM
link   
no

join