It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any Proud Non-Smokers here?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 07:37 AM
link   

I am proud to be a non-smoker. I think that smoking is the stupidest thing a person can do. Congrats to all the intellectual non-smokers here!

thank you

[edit on 28-3-2007 by kerrichin]

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I smoked for about 5 years but quit after my Aunt died of Cancer. Seemed like a good reason to quit.

I am proud to be off of the ol Tobacco, and cant see why I even did it in the first place. It is expensive, it makes my clothes stink, and it kills you.

What is everyone thinking...

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder
I had an eye-opener tonight.

I never buy my own smokes, my hubby takes care of that, but I do smoke 30 - 40 cigarettes a day. He was sleeping tonight and I couldn't find a pack in the house, so I went to the store.

$9.35 for a pack of 25

I had no idea the price was so high.

30-40 cigrettes a day?!!! you should watch that movie "Thank you for smoking." They earn tons of cash from addicts.

I think smokes are even more addictive then alcohol, moderation consumion for recreational purposes is ok I guess, but being addicted to it can be expensive financially and physically.

[edit on 28-3-2007 by ixiy]

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I'm a proud Non-smoker...

signed,
/Whitetiger

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder
I had an eye-opener tonight.

I never buy my own smokes, my hubby takes care of that, but I do smoke 30 - 40 cigarettes a day. He was sleeping tonight and I couldn't find a pack in the house, so I went to the store.

[size=12]$9.35 for a pack of 25

I had no idea the price was so high.

damn if you were in the UK you would be living in poverty

pack of 10 = £2.99 = $6.00
pack of 20 = £5.96 = $12.00

10 pack x 4 to get 40 = 6x4= $24.00 a day $168.00 week $8,736.00 a year

20 pack x 2 = 24.00 day x 7 = $168.00 x 52 = $8,736.00

damn you guys must have been loaded to afford this habbit

average wage is around $37000 almost 1/3rd on fags

bravo for quiting

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 05:52 PM
link   
25$ for a packet of roll your own here which lasts me a week and equates to about 100 smokes.

One thing the holier than thou's need to remember is that when a lot of us started smoking it was an entrenched social norm and that the health risks were virtually unheard of.

After 20 years of smoking to suddenly be told you have to quit or you'll die is pretty bloody hard for some, and for the rest of us i couldnt give a rats because i enjoy it.

Btw my Grandfather smoked for over 70yrs of his life and passed away aged 87 of totally unrelated causes. I also know many people, including close family members who have contracted cancer yet have never smoked.

I like a gamble so i'll continue to roll the dice.

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
I'm a proud smoker too.

You never know what you're missing until you try something you've never had before.

I find that tobacco and other substances can enrich one's enjoyment of life. I don't think the goal here is simply to live as long as you possibily can. I'd by far rather have the most fun during life.

No one knows when life could be snuffed out due to some crazy accident, so I see no reason to not try to live your life to fullest possible which includes trying to get to various altered states through various methods. IMHO anyone else is closed minded.

I think you have a really good point and sorry if I come across as rude in this post, but also you have to consider the health complications that exist while you're still living.

You only have one life to live, you're right. But dying in a hospital bed at age 40-50 because your lungs or your liver or something's screwing up 'cause of all those chemicals you're inhaling is not the most charming way to die, in my opinion.

Also, your teeth get all yellow and your breath stinks and you cough and hack a lot when you smoke. And you also pollute the air & contribute to the thinning of the ozone layer.

Just for the bit of enjoyment which you get addicted to and end up having to pay for. You'd save a lot of money if you quit.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm preaching to you. I'm not saying "Quit smoking now!"

I just wanted to share an opinion from someone who's "close-minded".

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Paresthesia, come over to the dark side of life... you cannot imagine the thrill and adventure that awaits you... just kidding of course, stay clean instead!.

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Paresthesia
And you also pollute the air & contribute to the thinning of the ozone layer.

How does my smoking affect the ozone layer Paresthesia, i havent heard this one before, a link would be cool.

Originally posted by Paresthesia
Just for the bit of enjoyment which you get addicted to and end up having to pay for. You'd save a lot of money if you quit.

But it's my money, i earnt it, it's not affecting anyone else, i dont smoke in my home or in the car with my kids. My kids dont go hungry because i need a fix of tobacco, i can afford it.
The thing with money, ya cant take it with you.

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by mojo4sale

originally posted by Russian soldier like I like to sit in the balcony and when I smell that disgusting smoke I get so pist, I mean, come on ppl, I'm tryin to enjoy FRESH AIR

So we are smoking a legally available drug with the permission of the government which we are no longer allowed to smoke in doors in clubs and pubs or restaurants and now you dont want us to smoke outside either. Cmon RS, people that are too lazy to spell properly tick me off but i dont want to ban you from the internet!!

Yo I didn't mean that in a bad way, I neva said anythin about banning smoke, I just ranted about sittin in da balcony and fools smokin right unda me, I neva said NOTHIN about bannin smokes, people can smoke all they wanna I don't have a problem wit it unless they smoke in a place where they shouldn't and I end up breathin da stuff, if they outside, thats GOOD, better there then places where they shouldn't smoke, and I bet it does help some people, so is all good in da hood.

But.....if somebody was to come up to me and blow smoke in my face, I'd bust that fool's jaw quicka then a bullet hittin target, cuz datz some #%#%#R%$#ed up crap. Weed is still betta then alcohol and smoke, though I don't do it eitha.

So that be it homies, hopefully no mo misunderstandings, peace out

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Paresthesia, come over to the dark side of life... you cannot imagine the thrill and adventure that awaits you... just kidding of course, stay clean instead!.

aw c'mon don't get da kidz to be doin dat stuff...lol

I dunno about da stuff you said about gettin it on while on 'sumthin',, but I'll tell you this, sex is already my favorite activity and that's all I like to do all day, nothing is better, so that's that, AND.......well I guess I don't need to tell you da latter, I guess you'll see next time you see a doc....I mean hey, everyone knows they gonna die and smokin is one thing, and I don't mean to compare this to drug-use, but just because you can die don't mean you gonna go jump off a bridge or blow yoself up with grenades, does it? Though different people do have their hobbies, I guess some like to cut they paraschute off and die
and all dat,,,,,,,,,,,,like they say, whateva floats yo boat

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Guess I'll add my two cents here . . .

I've tried one puff from one cigarette in my life, which was rather a stupid thing to do as I'm allergic to tobacco. Secondhand smoke makes me sick, so I don't know what I was thinking. heh. Nowadays I don't even like kissing someone who smokes.

I wouldn't call myself exactly a 'proud' nonsmoker. I think not smoking is keeping me looking younger and is keeping me healthy, but *shrug* Whatever floats your boat.

But you can have my beer when you pry it from my cold dead fingers.

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I really enjoy seeing that much non-smokers. I mean, it is okay to smoke, it's your life. Like Djohnsto said, you only have one life to live, but I plan to live it to it's full potential.

-jimmy-

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 06:00 PM
link   
its sad to see people say things like at least i know how ill die when they smoke especially when other people with cancer would do anything not to have this terrible disease.
and i find it a bit selfish that persons family aregoing to be the ones who have to care for them when they havent got the energy to walk and watch them die a very painful death.
if you dont care for your own life think of your family and friends who will be terribly affected by your death.

can you truely look into your childens eyes and say i dont care that you will be hurt when i die of cancer

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join